Software
Houzz Logo Print
jaceparratti

Restoration Hardware Apsen Furniture DIY

9 years ago
This is my DYI/Blog of how I'm going to build this set.

Two things I want to point out before I begin.

1. I will be using 8x8 beams, like the original set from RH. I have seen many posts with people using 6x6s or 4x4s. The problem is that you don't get the "substance" look. and you have to use 4 levels to reach the right height.

2. I am not using Oak, like RH. Im going to Hemlock. I was able to pick up a 8X8 X8' for $34 CAD

Comments (20)

  • 9 years ago

    Very nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress.


  • 9 years ago
    The wood has been delivered. (15) 8"x8"X8's cost $510 plus $180 for delivery. delivery is not an option. 15 beams is easy 2500lbs.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Good luck moving this to vacuum , that chair alone will weigh 200 lbs easy.

  • 9 years ago
    350 plus pounds each chair. RH is heavier. at 370lbs. they're not made to be moved I guess. Look at the bright side...I won't find any chairs in my pool this year...lol
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would drill hidden casters under ALL of this stuff. And you will not get the look with ordinary foam and poly wrap. You are going to need an upholsterer with cushioning experience, and you will need foam and a DOWN filled envelope . That is where you will incur all the expense to get the look you want, not to mention rather than a deck under of solid wood.......some serious strapping for some "give" or it will feel like outdoor furniture. . I hope the wood has been treated/baked...............: ) and I hope and wish you a good outcome : )

  • 9 years ago
    Oh. This is outdoor furniture...no need to vacuum
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Jan. RH has all the dimensions on their site, including the cushion dimensions. I did did a professional company to do them. MSRP at RH is about $6500. The ones I ordered are quoted at 1000.
  • 9 years ago

    yup, it will never blow away.....

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you Jan for you advice on the casters. I didn't even think of that. I guess I'm eBaying tonight...lol
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would talk to a building supply. Even if this is going in a covered area, the moisture under those big square feet is an issue............big time. I'd use rubber flooring on the underside, as thick as I could get it.

  • 9 years ago
    ok. I wanted to see how I was going to do it before I documented "how" I did it. a couch and chair left to do....this time I will document it. but here is my prototype. I still need to sand the ends.
  • 9 years ago
    finished product. I will have to do the steps at a later time. thoughts?
  • 9 years ago

    Looks fantastic!

  • 9 years ago
    Thx. I just wish I was a better photographer....lol
  • 9 years ago

    Congratulations on your hard work. It looks great! Enjoy

  • 8 years ago

    Do you have videos of the progress and/or tips and tricks that you could share?


    Thanks!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Looks great! Would you want to make me a set! Lol
  • 6 years ago

    Just about to start this same project myself and came across this post of yours. Can you share any more of the construction details or dimensions? I would be very interested. Thanks!

  • 5 years ago

    Hi would you happen to have the steps documented. Trying this
    MySelf