Software
Houzz Logo Print
tannabo

Help with 1970's classic ranch

9 years ago
I need help as we buy this classic 1970's ranch. It needs help! My thoughts are to add textured shake siding on the front, cedar shutters, new light fixtures. We have to keep the cream siding. What color if door should we do? The garage door is cream but the side door is white and the front door is black. I need help! What to do about the gigantic brick wall. ugh! Thanks for your help.

Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, Judy. What is your thought on mixing it up with shake siding? I get scared about painting brick outdoors. you think it would help the look?
  • 9 years ago

    I agree about removing the shutters, but I would not paint the brick. I would try to work with what you have before adding other elements. Can you take a picture from further back so that the whole house can be seen at once? How do those large trees impact the house?

  • 9 years ago
    Judy, I don't need to replace the cream siding because it's in good condition, as is the brown roof. I wanted to replace just the front siding. by the porch and around the garage to add some interest.
  • 9 years ago
    The trees tower over the house, making it dark.
  • 9 years ago
    Hi tannabo, there isn't anything majorly wrong with your house it's the yard that's unhappy. You need some beautiful landscaping and it'll liven up your home. The one change I would make to the house would be to add a pop of color to the front entrance. Painting the front door a teal color pulling the color from your plants would add interest to the house and help with the curb appeal. Also I see from your ideabook that you like the shake siding I "personally" don't think it's necessary however if it's something that you really want go for it.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Landscaping ( or RE landscaping) is what your house needs. Those trees look huge, I love trees, however, those need to be trimmed back or one removed. Power wash the pavers & anything else that needs it. Are these photos from when the previous owner had it?

  • 9 years ago
    yes, we've not moved in
  • 9 years ago
    I need to add some color but I have no idea what will work with cream siding, brown brick, brown roof. I thought cedar shutters but the advice on here is no shutters. What colors should I use and where? garage door, front door, side garage entry door, shake siding?
  • 9 years ago

    Oh, just checking since I didn't want to make negative comments re the "stuff " on the porch area.

  • 9 years ago
    bailey, lol, totally agree!
  • 9 years ago
    we will be getting new gutters and soffets which will be white to match the window trim
  • 9 years ago
    What about adding cedar shake siding to the front? that would enhance the brick?
  • 9 years ago
    What colors do you like? Your home should be a reflection of you. What is your style preferences? If teal is to overwhelming or not what your looking for pick something that still adds interest to the front of the house but speaks to you.
  • 9 years ago
    I love cottage, farmhouse styles. I'm doing an interior redo of this house and I'll post my ideas so you get a feel of my style. The outside completely stumps me.
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some farmhouse and cottage style exterior maybe some of these will help you pick a color.
  • 9 years ago
    Your house is very neutral some you can pick just about any color to complement it.
  • 9 years ago
    Typo I meant *so* not some.
  • 9 years ago
    should the garage door match the side door and front doors? how does that work?
  • 9 years ago
    Well it's your preference. What colors do you like?
  • 9 years ago
    Here is a mix
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some matching.