Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimbrand

Replace or remove unmatched shutters?

9 years ago

Before you begin to list the things that can/should be done to the front yard/house, I am first asking for opinions and recommendations about shutter replacement / removal. As you can see, someone installed shutters smaller than the 2nd floor windows due to the roof line.

The angle at which I took this photo makes the 2nd floor shutters look more appropriately sized than they really are. They are smaller than the window because of the roof line on the inside of both windows.

I love the idea of black shutters against this butter yellow siding/brick. I need help to determine if I replace the existing, faded shutters with the same solution (smaller shutters on 2nd floor windows) or do I simply remove the shutters and patch the holes?

The houses on either side of me are very similar from the street. I do believe the shutters (addition of some color) do help my house stand out/look different than all the rest. If I do remove the shutters due to the installation complications - any ideas on how to add some color to the front of the house? Is it possible to replace the vinyl window trim (with a different color)?

HELP! THANK YOU!! I have a lot of updates to do to this house - in and out. This is my first request for help but I know it won't be my last. I am a huge fan of this site and the advice given; I look forward to updating my house by group vote! If you have any comments and/or suggestions about ANYTHING you see, please share.

Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago
    Definitely remove the shutters from all windows. Consider replacing or painting the vinyl trim once you decide on your color scheme.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Cute house but a 3rd vote for removing the shutters. They're too short for the second story windows and the first floor window is much too wide for shutters. Honestly the house looks better without them. Your house already looks better than a lot of the ones we see here.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Consensus. Remove the shutters! I think things in front could also be improved by removing the leaning tree. Then come spring, some flood of multi-colored annual flowers in that bed. I would also consider painting your railing perhaps black for some contrast. I am thinking about even painting the whole lower front brick portion a different color as well. A darker color to help "ground" the house and give it some dimension. Have you considered that? A nice black carriage light on the brick pillar would be really nice. Probably have to see if electrician could bring wire out to that spot above your house number. Looks like you could use some form of light out front? Maybe paint your front door a bright color because it is kind of dark and gloomy looking. Those are my initial thoughts. Enjoy! It looks like a great house and I'm sure you will have a lot of aches and pains fixing it up but it will be great as you finish each upgrade!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Great house, I love shutters but in this case I would remove them.

  • 9 years ago

    Remove shutters and leaning tree. Add black at your door and railing.

  • 9 years ago

    remove all of them. i'm pretty sure there is paint available on the market to cover vinyl, use the same color. landscaping in the same color too.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I also vote no shutters. You could get away with them on the two upper windows, but they'd have to be sized properly...unless the roof prevents that. I think a wide white trim around the windows will look great against the yellow siding. Plant some things that will provide color. Blue would also be a good door color with your yellow siding.

  • 9 years ago

    Benjamin Moore REVIVE for vinyl.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all. I certainly was leaning toward removing them. It sounds so simple. I am worried about the siding under them being darker (no sun bleaching) and the brick underneath them being a different color. I have realized I have to be prepared for a much bigger project than simply yanking them down.

  • 8 years ago

    Have you considered changing the slant of the porch roof so that adequately sized shutters would fit the windows properly? I believe your house would look plain and boring without the contrast and character the shutters bring to the curb appeal. so I would find a way to keep the shutters.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths