Software
Houzz Logo Print
karalfuller

Help! Need a chandelier!

9 years ago
I can't seem to be able to imagine a chandelier that will pair with my new kitchen concept. I chose beautiful seeded glass pendants from world market for above my peninsula kitchen. They're "zinc" but look more brushed nickel. Which is connected to my eat in kitchen / dining room area. The house is small and my table is espresso, rectangular, and bar height. The cabinets will be the grey attached and he floors will be dark wood tile (in same picture). Ceilings are 8'. What style chandelier would you suggest to pull it together?

Comments (36)

  • 9 years ago
    Would something like this work well?
  • 9 years ago

    How big is the table? That would help selecting a style/scale you can tie in with your pendant lighting.

  • 9 years ago

    it 40" wide by 68" long

  • 9 years ago

    Looking at the photo of what you can see in the room and the pendants you want something similar to the Lowe's light? It seems dressy yet there is nothing wrong with that. Do you want to lean that way vs. a brushed nickel orb light or....

  • 9 years ago

    I'm completely open at the moment. I would take pics of the entire place but it's currently all in demo right now. I just want the look to meld together since the dining is so close to the kitchen. My concern with the Lowes light is that it might be too formal/modern as well and that is why i haven't pulled the trigger.

  • 9 years ago

    Something like this?

  • 9 years ago

    This is a Minka Lavery light from Home Depot. A bit less formal and goes with your look more than what you posted.

    Here is is hanging from a ceiling albeit not a dining area yet you can better see it.

    Kfulls18 thanked Porter Edun
  • 9 years ago

    would you do one or two?

  • 9 years ago

    given your pendant seems to have darker metal you could go with a darker tone than brushes silver/nickel. This comes in different finishes. I like the orb as it's unobtrusive yet goes well with what you have in terms of what I can see and the pendant. The above might be a bit too industrial for you.

  • 9 years ago

    I was hoping that the pendants metal might be a bit darker but in person , hey are a pretty true brushed nickel. That last one is too industrial for our look I think.

  • 9 years ago

    kitchler Titus

  • 9 years ago

    What about this?

  • 9 years ago

    I do love the concept of the framed light no glass however this may have glass I can't see. I think the shape is ok, not great what matters is if you like it. Let me sent you some similar so you can see.

  • 9 years ago

    doesn't come in any shade of silver unfortunately! The light above is nice I do like it however the shape for what ever reason bothers me?? As I said if you like it that is what matters. In smaller homes/spaces I think lights that are see through are probably best or the narrow Home Depot light so it doesn't block the eye when looking from room to room. So, it would work and not be obtrusive at all. I would just steer from the chandelier shot of the very first more fancy one given what I see.

  • 9 years ago

    A couple other suggestions:

  • 9 years ago

    Both are great if you can get them with some silver tone vs. gold unless you have the burnished golden drawer pulls and such that are popular right now. I see it clashing with your pendants... they are very nice, do they have options for other metal tones in lieu of gold?

  • 9 years ago

    check out, allmodern.com they have silver tone with dark if you like this route they do have some kfulls.

    I lean toward an orb it's not matchy matchy yet it ties in and not trendy per se so you won't say down the road, "why did I buy that"?

  • 9 years ago
    I think I'm coming around to the orb look too. I'm trying to not make it so modern in there. I'll have a farmhouse sink and barn door I just need something to tie it all together. This chandelier has the right metal on it I think, but I'm worried it might be too heavy - looks-wise
  • 9 years ago

    google wine barrel chandelier they are usually larger in scale yet you will see many that are not in different shapes such as this. I like it!! Orb is not modern though especially if you go with iron or dark bronze. Just weigh how heavy it is for the space if wood orb or slim iron orb. Neither are modern unless (which they do) have crystals in them and so on) sooooo.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That pendant at 12" in dia & 16" tall might be too large for over the island with an 8' ceiling. This means the glass globe is taller than the hanging chain.

  • 9 years ago

    Beverly, she's talking now about her table for dining I believe it's a bar height table and 8 ft. ceilings yet on that right now I may be wrong as it's a long day. She has pendants up from what I understand? The table is 68 long by 40 wide as I recall may be off a tad? Hope you can help!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Porter, she has purchased the glass globes. It doesn't say she has installed them. If they won't work, there's no sense purchasing more items that don't work together.

  • 9 years ago
    Beverly - they are not installed yet. So you're saying that the pendants won't look right if the chain holding them is shorter than the lights themselves?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The decision about how large the pendants over an island should be takes into consideration the ceiling height, the size of the island, the size of the pendants & the backdrop behind the pendants. You haven't shown us that. But it you expect this look in your kitchen, it's not going to work.

    Hanging a pendant that large from an 8ft. ceiling height over an island is going to be tricky. But it you expect the final product to look like this it won't because this ceiling is much taller.


  • 9 years ago
    This is the living room, kitchen, and dining room area in its current state. The peninsula where the half wall is located is where I was planning on placing the pendants. And the area in front of the smaller window (not sliding glass door) is where we place our table. Does this help give context?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You have to post an image with the ceiling, not so much the floor

  • PRO
    9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Kfulls, I didn't see where you posted the dimensions of the lights??? Perhaps they were searched at the store you purchased them :(

  • PRO
    9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Beverly, I didn't go to the site where purchased just saw it and hence you already made me privy! Thanks for sending it.

  • 9 years ago
    We are deciding to not do pendants. Still not sure on the chandelier but now that I'm not trying to complement the pendants I have many more options.
  • 9 years ago

    You don't think smaller scale glass pendants would be fine? I do apologize I never knew the size of them and thought you were on the mark with them not realizing myself they were so large as I didn't notice where you purchased them so didn't do a search to look in to them.

    Well, Many options then if you don't go this route with any pendants.

  • 9 years ago
    I just haven't found smaller ones I love. And my installer has assured me that if I want them later that he will install them. I'm also concerned after seeing beverlys design of how close to my work space that they'd be might be more obstructive than pretty.
  • 9 years ago

    Understand that and nice to know you can add later if you like. I have a program yet since I work for a builder and do their models I don't use one yet have one and am not perfect at using it such as Beverly is so I don't as I don't want to error for those here! Good luck to you! Many small scale simple glass pendants such as you chose if the work in the long run!

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you all for your help!