Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcollier2007

How do I remodel kitchen and keep maple cabinets?

mcollier2007
7 years ago

I would like to keep my maple cabinets, but I am replacing my flooring, appliances, countertops, and backsplash. I would appreciate any ideas on flooring, countertops, and backplash! I don't know what colors would look good with maple. I really like contemporary/transitional style. Also would like to add pendant lights and new hardware. Thank you for any ideas!

Comments (39)

• cpaul1
    7 years ago

The honest answer is, you don't. You have a lot of cabinetry in a color that is going to date your kitchen no matter how much money you spend on everything else. I would rethink your decision to "remodel" your kitchen without addressing that big, big issue (as it really won't be a remodel then because those cabinets are your biggest elephant in that room).

mcollier2007 thanked cpaul1
  • Robert T
    7 years ago

well i believe that what's in style now is more grey and white, porcelain light grey for the flooring. White cabinets and a standard countertop...

mcollier2007 thanked Robert T
  • lhutch13
    7 years ago
    I like maple kitchen cabinets and mine are very similar. They're light and fresh and not white. I am also doing a kitchen expansion and keeping my maple cabinets.

Since you are redoing everything, if you are happy with the functionality and layout, you uninstall the cabinets, as the floor tile may run underneath them. I would go with a darker floor to contrast the cabinets. You can run the gambit with countertops.

I am personally going with a brown Quartz with black flecks, which will tie in with my black appliances. Some think black appliances are dated, but I hate stainless with a passion. I am going back and forth between a bluish green for the walls, and my floor is a darker wood laminate, but not dark enough to be high maintenance.
  • KK Johnson
    7 years ago
    Most people appear to go in the green or grey color scheme but with your kitchen I would definitely go with light greens. Similar to this countertop
    mcollier2007 thanked KK Johnson
  • NancyD
    7 years ago
    I think you'll have success if you find a countertop color that speaks to you and works with the light tone of your maple cabinets. This picture shows how great a black granite can look. Light wood floors, stainless appliances, more contemporary hardware on your cabinets, and metal and glass pendants would all contribute to your updated look.

I liked the pendants in the second photo, but there are just so many choices you can make. I'd start by researching the Houzz selection of photos for some completed kitchens to help with your vision.
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous! You should not feel that your kitchen is dated. Light wood floors would be great. Do not paint your cabinets.....do not do any gray!

mcollier2007 thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

Those are nice maple cabinets and you can have an updated space without changing them. Pick your new flooring first. It should be partially based on what other floors it will connect with. You have a lot of options. I could see you using a travertine type tile or a light colored hardwood. Once you've decided on floors, it will be easier to choose a countertop and backsplash. The key to keeping it fresh and modern is to choose simple materials without a lot of pattern. I would use solid white quartz countertops to brighten the space.

mcollier2007 thanked calidesign
  • Artiesmama
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your cabinets look nice and I disagree that they are dated. They are not on trend but they are timeless IMO. Some aspects of the design make it look a little dated such as the decorative piece over the sink and maybe also the arch. The way the corners are cut contribute as well. I would have your new counters squared instead of cut off to match the cabs. Removing the decorative pieces should be easy.

I have maple cabinets that look very dated because of the finish, sort of white washed/pickled look. Horrible! But plain maple is beautiful IMO! Do you have a photo of the space that the kitchen opens up to? It's hard to make recommendations without knowing how the rest of the space looks.

mcollier2007 thanked Artiesmama
  • Lori Meyer
    7 years ago

I love the cabinets. I don't know why everyone has to go white/Painted. They all look the same. You could do A LOT in that kitchen with a change of flooring and countertops and appliances.

mcollier2007 thanked Lori Meyer
  • nuthinontv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Put together an idea book via Houzz of natural Maple kitchens. There are almost limitless possibilities for color scheme and style with your (ahem) "dated" kitchen! Ignore the knuckleheads who suggest painting your cabinetry. With the new flooring, appliances and counters the "new" space will be unrecognizable. And be both serviceable and stylish for many years to come.

Goleta Residence · More Info

Vintage charm, in a petit home · More Info

mcollier2007 thanked nuthinontv
  • jck910
    7 years ago

I, too like your cabinets and I would stay away from gray with maple. I would choose countertops first. Look at Cambria Quartz: Windermere, Bellingham & Berwyn. Cambria has a paint match tool on its site.

mcollier2007 thanked jck910
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    7 years ago

We are doing the same thing, keeping the maple cabinets. I see a lot of maple kitchens on Houzz. If you want a bright, airy kitchen that is not white I think it is a good choice. We have not yet changed the backsplash and counters, but in the time we have been deciding I have seen many of both become "dated". I like the color of my walls. I love my floor which extends into the family room. Until I find a backsplash and countertops I really love I am keeping it as is.

mcollier2007 thanked Elaine Gauthier Art
  • carrolltf
    7 years ago
    If my cabinets looked as good as yours, I would have never painted them white! Mine were oak and I needed a change...very happy w my decision but white is not for everyone! I have seen some beautiful kitchens on Houzz with maple and lighter countertops and backsplash. A wise person said to choose ur flooring first...good idea. Then u can narrow down your other choices. Best of luck and keep us posted :)
    mcollier2007 thanked carrolltf
  • Leslie Burr
    7 years ago

I love my maple toned kitchen. Being like everyone else can be tiring. Like white and gray.

First, I used a copper blacksplash.

Next, I used a light maple laminate (budget). Now, I'd use tile. Many more back splashes out now as opposed to when I remodeled.

Think I'd update countertops with a medium gray quartz.

Copper has been effective at helping me transition to a more contemporary look.

mcollier2007 thanked Leslie Burr
  • Leslie Burr
    7 years ago

leslie_burr's ideas · More Info

leslie_burr's ideas · More Info

mcollier2007 thanked Leslie Burr
  • mcollier2007
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. Everything in my kitchen is 27 years old but in perfect condition. I raised 5 children in this home, so you can have children and keep a nice home! I am remodeling because I just need a change! I know the cabinets are a large portion of the room, so replacing or painting would be huge. I really just need to know what colors to put with maple. I am replacing all the flooring on the main level, so I will have a clean slate. I like light, clean lines and so removing the arch and the piece above the sink is doable. Also, what about removing the curved crown molding and replacing with a straight molding.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

My kitchen is not maple, and my style is not contemporary, but I love my backsplash, counters and new Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" farm sink. I know this is not your style, but I think the backsplash, sink and counters are flexible style wise and give one of many possibilities.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

• Ecvzs
    7 years ago
    I would just stain the cabinets and change the knobs before you choose the color of granite...maybe a dark stain like this
  • rollin Walker
    7 years ago

your cabinets are nice, and classic. they are similar to mine...we just put andino white granite in and love it. you have lots of options.

• mcollier2007
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the andino white granite. Thank you!

• Chantal M
    7 years ago
    Question for the host of the subject kitchen: Do you like your cooktop in the centre of the island? Do you feel like you have enough room around yiu, when prepping and cooking?

I also have an island gas range with downdraft and considering to relocate it from the end to the centre (like yours). I also have a bar sink with R O water in same place.

Thanks,
    Chantal
  • mcollier2007
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love my cooktop in the middle of the island. I could cook while my children sat at the bar...plus it was easy to serve from there!

• PRO
    Cambria
    7 years ago

Congrats on your new
    renovation project, mcollier! Cambria has many designs that would pair well
    with your original maple cabinets giving you a finished look that you’ll love.

Whitehall would provide a stylish high-contrast look. Torquay or Dovedale from our Marble Collection would also work well for this look, offering subtle warm tones.

If you are looking for a
    darker design with bolder movement, Bellingham or Windermere are great options
    that would accentuate the natural tones of your maple cabinetry. You could also
    opt to have a distinct design for your kitchen island to create a beautiful
    focal point, with a complementary design for your perimeter counters-- much
    likethis kitchen.

If you’re a fan of the
    on-trend concrete look, designs like Greystone or Carrick (both available in
    Cambria Matte finish) can also pair with maple cabinetry.

As jck910 mentioned, our website offers a paint match tool for every design. You can also order samples and
    browse inspiration images of finished kitchens. Feel free to check out our Instagram, Pinterest for more ideas to spark your creativity. Hope
    this helps! We’d love to hear from you if you have more questions—You can send
    us a message or call our Customer Care Team at 866-226-2742.

• katinparadise
    7 years ago

I definitely agree with starting with your floor. If you're doing hardwoods throughout, continue them right into the kitchen. Do you prefer granite or are you hoping to do quartz. Whichever you decide, I would look for something with the same warm tones as your beautiful maple cabinets. I'm using Typhoon Bordeaux in my bath remodel.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen! I have maple cabinets, too. I put them in 3 years ago and I love them. Real wood is classic.

• User
    7 years ago

Some ideas, and first- your kitchen speaks to me. Not nearly "old", for all the work you'e done in it!

I like the natural maple a lot. A classic that never goes out of style. To update, a bit, change out the hardware for something more linear. Standard styles may allow you to do this. A soft, brushed nickel would be nice, and won't scream "2017, imo.

For the counters- if I were you, I'd stick with classic- Nancy D shows a great look, above. Bring in a very classic stone, whether it be quartz, quartzite, granite, soapstone etc. Concentrate on the lines of the counters. Clean edges will both make this look more contemporary and last through the years. Trust me on this one- the LAST thing you want is to be changing out countertops as styles change. They're harder on your kitchen cabs, to replace, than you might remember.

Flooring: Because I've got sort of a modern, scandanavian image in my head, you could stick with wood. I'm not the biggest fan of wood in kitchens/wet areas, but it could work. Maybe somebody else has a better tile suggestion? From left field- cork. This isn't our mother's cork boards- comes in a variety of styles, colors, works well in a kitchen and OH MAN- is it great for the feet/bones!

Keep it as neutral as possible- play up the bones of the space. That helps keep the "classic" feel. Then- have a BLAST with your backsplash. This is a great place to stamp "personality" and a bit of "now", without a lot of risk. Make sure it flows with the rest of your kitchen, of course, but backslashes are the easiest things- also the least expensive- to change out, when and if the whim hits you.

Keep us posted!

• Kicksychick
    7 years ago

Love your maple cabinets!

Bayview House · More Info

Here's an inspiration photo with black honed countertops (stay away from anything shiny) and a light backsplash. Light fresh shades of green would work for a backsplash too.

• Jan Smith
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I love your maple cabinets. NOT AN ELEPHANT AT ALL. I have maple as well and am getting ready to redo floor. I'm thinking very light so my White appliances blend better and white subway backsplash. I do like white antiqued cabinets but will work with what I have. The elephant person probably is not used to quality wood cabinets. I'm really liking the luxury vinyl planks. I looked at Lowes and there were some beautiful samples. Just don't do a laminate.

• Ann Brunkow
    6 years ago
    Maple+Black= beautiful. Keep what you love and be creative.
  • Lyndy
    6 years ago

Mcollier what did you decide? I am getting maple cabinets installed tomorrow. Usually when I look at a post on here regarding maple cabinets, they want info on painting them. Or they want to remodel a kitchen look that I'm contemplating. Lol. My next step is countertop decision - so I always look forward to see kitchens with stained cabinets. :)

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    6 years ago

We remodeled in 2013 and installed maple cabinets. We used a lighter porcelain tile on the floor and two colors on the walls. Paint colors, granite choice, flooring, etc. are all part of our Ideabook.

Kitchen from Hell transforming into Kitchen from Heaven · More Info

Kitchen from Hell transforming into Kitchen from Heaven · More Info

• catherinegr
    5 years ago

Late to the post but curious as to what Mcollier did. I love my Maple and now that it is 2018, think I was wise not to paint white several years ago. The wood still feels timeless, and I have antiques in other areas of the house, so wood is part of my DNA. Am curious though as to how I can spruce them up - like with a new varnish or something. Some areas around the knobs are worn. If anyone has a link to this info I would appreciate it very much!

• User
    5 years ago
    I live in an older 1920s home and we are replacing old white thermafoil cabinets with white shaker style cabinets that will go to the ceiling. While we are changing the design some I wonder if anyone will be able to tell we did anything.

Just as I was ready to order my husband said he wanted wood.
    I found a cherry I love but worry my u-shaped kitchen will look small. It is stained so my understanding is that it won’t darken.

While I like maple, I worry it will yellow over time and look out of place with our oak floors.
    Any thoughts/experiences?
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    5 years ago

My maple cabinets never yellowed although they are in the sun. We have had them for 24 years. However, our 2 year old maple floors have yellowed in spots. I don’t know if it had to do with the type of finish. I still love my kitchen (above).

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Keep the cabinets and go with white porcelain floor tile, lighter backsplash tile, and white countertop. This way, your kitchen looks dark. When you change these elements, it will open up. For example, Arctic Ice subway glass tile would provide a touch of contemporary, while Arabescato Carrara marble tile would provide a more classic but still fresh feel. When choosing countertops, I suggest quartz by Quartz Master or Caesarstone countertops. Both brands have beautiful colors and Caesarstone gives a lifetime warranty for residential customers. But is you like light maintenance countertops, go with polished options because leathered and concrete quart surfaces require more maintenance.

• Laura Flicker
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Italian Kitchen Studio
    4 years ago

Dear Laura ,

Look to our website

italian-kitchen-studio.com

if you would like to change your kitchen we can do full projects and full service for you

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Following