Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey1z7act

CT Spring Swap

casey1gw
7 years ago

Time to get together and see each other after hibernating for the winter. Let's pick a date and place since the weather is now 'springlike' and plants are popping.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Hedy

Comments (18)

• gibsongirl74_gw (zone 6 CT)
    7 years ago

I'm new to gardening in CT. I would be interested in a plant swap. Also, does anyone know where I can get a common white lilac in the CT area?

• Don Seipel
    7 years ago

I would love to take part in a plant swap as well! I am in the Shelton area. I do not have any white lilacs, but I do have a purple lilac bush. I would be happy to cut you a piece if you are interested.

7 years ago

Hi don, I would love some of your purple lilac. I am going to be moving some things around and I will have some bearded iris starts, Shasta daisy, yellow cone flowers and some baby roses of Sharon. I just don't know the color of the roses of Sharon. They have been multiplying in the corner of my yard for 50 years.

I would love to share these plants at a swap or if anyone wants to come and pick some stuff up. I don't know where people hav met up to swap in the past.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    7 years ago

I haven't been to a swap in years, but would be interested in attending. We just moved to a new house and I'm waiting to see what comes up.

• kanani milles
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm interested in attending. I'm still assessing what's coming up, since we moved two winters ago and I just haphazardly planted things that I brought over from my old space. Still rearranging. Fairly certain I'll have some red/pink flowering quince, red bee balm, bearded iris (colors unknown), maybe one or two peonies (ditto) and some veggie transplants.

• cloud_9
    7 years ago

You guys are welcome to come here again if you want - just decide a time! : ) That's the hardest part usually. (for the new people, I'm in Woodbury)

• ctgardenguy (Zone 6)
    7 years ago

I would try Oliver Nurseries in Fairfield CT. I've bought a couple of lavender lilac bushes from them and I remember they had many selections available. Their 2016 catalog mentions a white lilac. It's a beautiful nursery to visit, but they are a bit pricey. They do have a sale in June that is worth a visit.

http://olivernurseries.com/nurseries

• ctlady_gw
    7 years ago

Probably not going to have the time this year ... still the garden club president, and buried in work for our May plant sale (700 plants last year!! All dug out of local gardens by members...or us!) The swap is always fun and I'll miss it -- my gardens are full of plants from swappers!

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I guess we're not going to have a swap this year unless we have it in June. It's too bad because we have some new people who want to attend.

• cloud_9
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It was in the beginning of June last year too. And I have been away a lot, so sorry this hasn't risen to the top of my consciousness until now - ironic that Hedy posted, because was just thinking that I needed to check on this thread this morning. The second weekend in June (or even the third) would probably work for me - either Saturday or Sunday is OK. Sunday, May 21st would also work for me too if people are motivated for that soon. I am fine with Memorial Day weekend, but others usually aren't - you guys decide and LMK. : )

6 years ago

The second weekend in June works for me. Cloud 9 I know you offered to host. If for some reason you can't you are welcome to come to my place. I'm in Manchester

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Sunday June 11 I have another commitment. Also June 24-25 I'm dog sitting for a neighbor. Any other day and time is fine for me. Not much I can bring, but it would be nice to get out of the house. Don't care where it is. Jo

• kanani milles
    6 years ago

Second weekend in June works for me, too.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Whatever works for everyone else is fine.

• Jennifer Morelli
    6 years ago

So anyone from the northeast corner?? I'm looking for plants like daylilies, phlox, astilbe, sedum, hosta and forsythia. I just moved in to a fixer upper and most of the money is going to the house, so I'm interested in cheap or free.

• cloud_9
    6 years ago

I am SO sorry guys, but my schedule is out of my control and all up in the air now, so I'm not sure even when I am going to be in town. Can someone else host? gibsongirl74_gw offered and Hedy has offered in the past. I am seriously bummed!

• mom2zandt
    6 years ago

Jennifer, where are you located? I have lots of what you're looking for. I'm in mansfield. Our public library is actually having their annual plant swap this Saturday. I'm bummed because it's always a great event but I'm going to be away this weekend.

6 years ago

I am very sorry it took me so long to reply! I had really hoped that I could host a plant swap but my kids got a horrible stomach virus that actually sent one of them to the er and I am just getting everything back in order. I apologize! I am hoping that next year everything will work out!