Software
Houzz Logo Print
tlopez1214

Which countertop for white cabinets?

9 years ago

We are re-doing our kitchen. We have chosen a white cabinet and now I'm torn between a grey quartzite like superwhite or a grey/black granite like steel grey. I like the superwhite because it's beautiful but I'm worried about staining and etching. I like the grey/black granite because it matches and it's more durable but maybe not as beautiful?

What do you think?

We are re-staining our floors so they will be darker than pictured here.

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago

    Here's the kitchen layout

  • 9 years ago

    I'm in a similar situation, I have white perimeter cabinets and gray island cabinets picked out in the kitchen and am between White Fantasy (which is absolutely stunning!) for all or this MSI Calacatta Vicenza quartz. My concern is durability, staining and etching with white fantasy. I'd like to see the quartz in a large slab in person to see how it looks. Sometimes you see a small sample and it looks good but looks awful in a large slab.

    @Karen why do you say quartzite is something you dont' see in many homes? Is it because it's not durable? Or is it because quartzite is a rather new trend? or ...?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Quartzite. The light one.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The light one but the layout is a bit off to me , maybe I am blind but it seems your fridge is all the way across the room from the sink which IMO is very bad design

  • 9 years ago
    I have a kitchen with quartzite and white cabinets (white dove) and I haven't had any issues with staining and etching. My old kitchen had granite and the quartzite seems just as durable to me.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You may want to read some of these before deciding.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/query/quartzite-staining

  • 9 years ago

    @Jess Simons That light gray slab is called Super White but I think it's also called White Fantasy. I've heard it be referred to as a granite, quartzite, and marble. So confusing.

    @Patricia Colwell Consulting You are not blind! The refrigerator is currently next to our 30" cooktop. The hexagonal shape of our kitchen has made the design process very complicated. We had to choose our losses.

    @venicebeachmama How long have you had it for? What type of quartzite is it?



  • 9 years ago

    FIRST photo (light color) hands down!

  • 9 years ago

    I like the lighter gray

  • 8 years ago
    Anyone who has put the Calacatta Vicenza, any regrets? I’m leaning towards that for my kitchen but I want my counter tops to be mostly white with just little specks of gray here and there. In some pictures I find Kitchens who have huge chunks of gray and very busy. Any opinions? I was also thinking about cashmere Carrara? Any help is appreciated
  • 8 years ago
    @tlopez1214 did you end up going with the gray countertop? Any pictures?
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @Jess Simmons what did you end up going with? We are doing white perimeter and gray island and I am so stumped on the counter!

  • 7 years ago

    @krista623 We ended up doing the white quartz with a little bit of veining for all counter tops, still white outer cabinets and gray island. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding what White Fantasy/Super White is. I really think it's beautiful but after a lot of research it does appear it's more like a harder marble which still is not ideal for me. Quartz is just almost bullet proof with regards of caring for it, no stress or worry. We've had our quartz for over a year and are very happy with it.

  • 7 years ago

    @Jess Simons thank you! So White Fantasy is the name of the quartz you used? Or Super White? What brand is it so I can check it out. I'm so indecisive think we may end up with plywood counters!

  • 7 years ago

    White with marble countertops? Meh! Looks gorgeous, but it’s been done. Marble stains, granite is porous, and you have white cabinets! At the last minute, I changed my countertop to a matte marble-like caesarstone, and decided cabinets to be dark wood. Floors white hex 1” tile with black accents, and dark gray grout!! I’m not sorry 13 years later. The chips in CaesarStone can be patched like ladies acrylic nails!
    Chips happen! By the sink, by the dishwasher! These can be patched and sanded! The dark cabinets are wonderful for drips and splashes! The 1” hex tile is a wonderful dirt hider, and not slippery! The dark grout highlites the hex pattern and hides dirty grout!

  • 7 years ago

    Have you looked at Dekton?

  • 7 years ago

    This post originated April 2017

  • 7 years ago

    @krista623 No, we did MSI Calacatta Vicenza quartz not White Fantasy/Super White (a hard marble).