Software
Houzz Logo Print
muddy04

Am I the only one that doesn't care for 2x2's on the shower floor?

9 years ago

I'd love to find a porcelain hexagon or something unique to match my glossy porcelain calacutta shower wall tile. Ordered a sample of Crossville's Virtue but it's not a great match, too creamy. So many gorgeous stone option I just don't want the maintenance of it esp on the shower floor.

Anyone know of anything ? This is the tile, the bottom picket tile is from Crossville's Virtue line. It just doesn't match. Love the Jeffery Court behind them which match in person but are marble. Too much maintenance for me.

Thanks, I know there has to be others that don't care for the 2x2's and wondered what people are using.


Comments (28)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You need a mosaic of some sort, 2 inch is common as it makes it easier to PITCH the shower for drainage. Do not try to marry marble with porcelain, they will never "match" and the real thing will make the porcelain wall mimic look cheap.

    https://www.houzz.com/products/105x11-victorian-hex-mosaic-floor-wall-tiles-set-of-10-matte-white-prvw-vr~46760114

    muddy04 thanked JAN MOYER
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Jan. I would love a hex, I'm just finding white which doesn't match my tile unfortunately. It looks really white in the picture but it's on the creamy side of white not stark so those white hexagons look really bright next to it. Thanks for sharing I'm not giving up :) Just wish some of these companies would do accent pieces and mosiacs for those that don't want all marble.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    How about pebbles? It's great for drainage and some of my clients really like how it feels on the feet.

    [Photo 1[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bathroom-tropical-bathroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~776070)



    [Photo 2[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/colorado-attic-apartment-contemporary-bathroom-denver-phvw-vp~104550)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I wouldn't try matching the cream/off white. I would get a tiny hexagon that matches the veins in the callucutta.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Do it all over the shower. Or do the same tile you have for your wall accent on the floor. Otherwise, you are over decorating the shower.



    Traditional Bathroom · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Sophie Wheeler disagree. I stare at my shower floor basically the entire time I'm showering and am very glad that we picked a beautiful tile.


    Also, we have full glass shower doors and no tub. It's impossible to not see the floor when you want in the room.

  • 9 years ago
    When we did our shower I opted for the mosaic that matched the trim on the walls for the floor. I hate marble floors in showers and bathrooms....you're going to be older one day and wet marble can be very slippery......smaller tiles equal better traction. It's not always about pretty, especially if you plan to age in place.
  • 9 years ago

    love my kohler cast iron shower pan!! Assorted colors and never leaks.

  • 9 years ago

    Overland: I have seen those, not my style but know they work for many! Thanks for the idea and your response!

    Sophie: I am an overthinker but w/the flooring I really have a strong preference for whatever reason. I see it everyday multiple times a day and prefer something fun to look at. Not giving up quite yet but do have the option of matching 2x2's Thanks for your response.

    binakay: Thanks for your response! Looking around to see what I can find that isn't starkly different. I had hoped it would blend w/walls not be a contrast to them. We'll see. Thanks again!

    JudyG: I would prefer this love the picture! That is true marble which I'm guessing isn't prone to breaking. Ive been told no larger than 4 x 4 for shower floor with porcelain. ??

    Greenwoodframed: I feel the same way and am also doing no tub :) Did you find a porcelain you liked? Or did you use marble?

    Linda: Thank you, I'm not wanting to use marble on shower floor although I love the look but I know me and the maintenance would be too much Yes, always thinking of the aging thing too.

    Odin08075: Thank you for your response, will look into that, never heard of it.



  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Is there a honed/matte version of the same porcelain tile? If so, I'd use that instead of the glossy, then have your tile guy cut the porcelain into 2 x 6's for the shower floor. (The glossy would be too slippery.) From there you could do either an offset or herringbone pattern. If not, a matte 3" ceramic/porcelain hex would be great.

    muddy04 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • 9 years ago

    Yes Sabrina Alfin Interiors there is, great idea! Love the herringbone pattern idea! I'd love a hex I just cannot find one for the life of me that matches.

  • 9 years ago

    We ended up doing a black marble 2" hex on our master shower floor and a white a cararra 1" hex in our guest shower. Very happy with both!

    muddy04 thanked greenwoodframed
  • 9 years ago

    Shower pans are so much easier than buggering about with a tiled floor I have never had a problem with one yet !

    muddy04 thanked Snaggy
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Which ever mosaic product you choose needs to have room for sanded grout in the grout joints. The sanded grout creates traction. The mosaics you have pictured do not have large enough grout joints, you will end up slipping in the shower and could break a bone.
    Matching stone color to man made products is very difficult. It may look better to contrast the wet floor to the walls.

    muddy04 thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • 9 years ago

    Given that you have what appears to be a tile accent showing on the wall behind your photo posted not knowing how large it is or what the rest of the room looks like you might go with a simple mosaic that isn't so busy. We have hex on our floor no slipping yet it is ceramic.

    This would look nice in the bath you have. Again, can't see the whole room so?

    muddy04 thanked Porter Edun
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I can never understand using tile vs a pan on a standard size shower. The biggest complaint in any shower install is the pan. Kohler cast is a install once and never think about it again install.


    Especially if you are using white tiles they are a no brainer for me. Look at the amount of posts on here about every other day coomplaining of staining, standing water, dirty grout, mold, failed install, etc, etc. If your installer can't install a cast pan tear up your contract. You will only find out if that tiles floor is good after the first shower. Good luck getting that corrected.

  • 9 years ago
    I used glass tiles in a hexagon pattern. Easier to maintain than a natural stone. I do know there are also lots of custom glass options out there as well.
    muddy04 thanked leemiller
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for your responses shower pan wouldn't work as it's not a standard size shower.

    Leemiller: you used glass hexagon in a shower floor?

  • 9 years ago

    Porter, that background is the tile stores shower. Our bathroom is currently gutted so not much to see

  • 5 years ago

    Has anyone seen this installed on a shower floor? It’s 2x2 square tiled mosaic set in alternating directions to create a basketweave “look” but I’m dying to know how it looks installed and what it’s truly called.

  • 5 years ago

    And yes, I’m looking for a variation from standard 2x2 or hex pattern

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Ninety percent of what you want in that look, will be marble. which must be sealed. Porcelains, and truly easy care? Most will be 2 x2

    Marble.............also mosaic. All mosaic will be on sheets/mesh. There are tons.

    Go in person to a dedicated tile brick and mortar.





  • 5 years ago

    This thread is 4 years old.....

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Yes, Kathy, but there was a new inquiry 10 hours ago.

    @safemommy what about a black and white octagon and dot?

    Retro Octagon Bianco 6Mm Glossy Porcelain Pattern Porcelain · More Info


    Or a black and white basketweave?

    Metro Basketweave Matte White Black Dot Porcelain Mosaic Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

    Another version of octagon and dot:

    Oxford Matte White w/Black Dot Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

    pebble porcelain:

    Pebble White Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

    penny rounds:

    Hudson Penny Porcelain Mosaic Tile, Glossy White · More Info

    mini arabesques:

    Lantern Mini e 10-3/4" x 11-1/4" Porcelain Mosaic Tile · More Info

    white on white octagon and dot:

    Oxford Matte White w/ Glossy White Dot Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

    triangles!

    Tri Mini Crossover Porcelain Mosaic Tile, Matte White · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Thank you, I’m matching the wall and floor tile so need to stay with the same pattern/color/manufacturer. I’m going with the basketweave I posted above thanks all!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Nice! glad you've made your decision. It's going to look great.

  • 5 years ago

    Check with your local tile resource. The manufacturer should have an option of a coordinating small tile to use shower floor. Where I live building code does not allow for large scale tile on floor because of the flexibility required to achieve the slope for drainage. Our porcelain mosaic is non-slip. Also used it for the shower niche boxes and ceiling.