Software
Houzz Logo Print
pammuth

Kitchen needs updating

9 years ago
We built our house in 2003 and I feel like the kitchen is looking tired. What should I do to make this look more current? Paint the cabinets? Change the molding? Change out the backsplash? Replace the countertop (it's "verde butterfly" granite). The chandelier over the kitchen table has definitely got to go since it's circa 1993. The downside of painting the cabinets white, for example, is that I think I'd need to paint all of the rest of the cabinetry in the house to match.

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago
    I really like your kitchen the way it is. What about some updated bar chairs and rugs?
    pammuth thanked Michelle
  • 9 years ago

    for 15 years old, its looking pretty good. if you are angling for something new, you might like a stainless hood.



    Golden Gate Condo Remodel · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback. I wanted it to be as "timeless" as possible when we built it originally. We are going to be putting our house on the market in the next few years and I wanted to make sure it's as updated as possible. I think the idea of changing the lighting, barstools, possibly new backsplash and maybe range hood could make a subtle update.

  • 9 years ago

    I think that sounds like a good plan. Regarding selling in a few years, keep in mind buyers will most likely change whatever you do.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    We agree. A new, lighter backsplash and a modern stainless steel range hood would make a huge difference. It'll keep the kitchen looking current enough to attract buyers, emphasize its already gorgeous features and leave enough room for changes if a new buyer wants to put on their own touches.

    pammuth thanked Karry Home Solutions
  • 9 years ago

    I think the kitchen is great -- not very "dated" at all. I think if you want to make it more modern without investing a lot, change out the detailed molding on the top of the cabinets and hood to a less ornate molding, and change the hardware to a chrome or brushed nickel in a more modern style. I agree that the backsplash would have the most impact. Try a glass subway tile in a light green or blue or even a lighter gray tone.

    pammuth thanked Julie B
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    As others said, a lighter backsplash and new hood would really help. If you want to go even further maybe a lighter countertop too. The room just looks a little dark right now. And while granite is great, new buyers tend to steer more towards quartz now.

    pammuth thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    another vote for new (lighter) backsplash and a stainless hood vent. New bar chairs would be nice, but won't matter to the buyer. Also, I would LOVE to have your kitchen over mine!

    pammuth thanked Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't spend much if you intend to sell in the next few years. A few years goes by quickly & no matter what you do the potential buyers won't necessarily like what you do anyway, every house that's been sold in my neighborhood the past few years has been remodeled by the new owners , regardless of condition.

    pammuth thanked hbfn
  • 9 years ago

    Beautiful kitchen. Change the barstools or reupholster the seats, paint the gray walls white to match the trim, add undercabinet and overcabinet lighting or change the chandelier and pendants.

    When you are ready to sell in a few years, what's fashionable will be much different from today.

    pammuth thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You've gotten some great input so far. Changing the hardware on your cabinets is another way to update the look of the kitchen without making a huge investment. Here's a few ideas to get you started!


    Alesund Cabinet Pull · More Info

    Alesund Cabinet Knob · More Info

    Douglas Cabinet Collection · More Info

    Contemporary Round Cabinet Collection · More Info

    pammuth thanked Stone Harbor Hardware
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hardware…new pendants…new stools..

    Cube Pendant for Kable Lite System, Shade: Frost, Base: Chrome · More Info
    Victoria Acrylic Counter Stool, Clear · More Info
    And do I see black in the adjoining room?

    What if you go a couple of shades lighter for the walls in the kitchen?

    pammuth thanked JudyG Designs
  • 9 years ago

    The wall colors aren't showing up very well in my photos. The kitchen is painted sort of a tan color. The dining room that you get a peek of through the doorway is painted a rusty/red. Our backsplash in the kitchen is "noche", so kind of a light tumbled stone. I never noticed it looked gray until a few people mentioned it. That's kind of funny!

  • 9 years ago
    Under cabinet lighting, new stools, different pendants. I love your kitchen, it really looks good. If you read too many posts on Houzz, they will have you painting everything plus the toilet.
    pammuth thanked Tonia Tussey
  • 9 years ago

    Computer monitors are notorious for not showing true colors:)