Software
Houzz Logo Print
dandelionwishes

Outdoor patio furniture cushions disintegrating - slip covers?????

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Looking for ideas on a cheap way to cover my patio furniture cushions. I am not sure if I can afford replacement cushions. I thought about slipcovers but I don't know what kind of fabric to get, or how to go about making them. Or are there commercial patio cushion slipcovers out there? I have searched the web to no avail. The furniture set has individual seat and back cushions so it would be hard to just put a sheet or cover over the whole thing. There are a lot of cushions. I have attached a picture of what the set looks like. Of course, mine is completely faded and ratty looking!!

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    Do you store your cushions in the off season? DO you store them when it rains? a lot depends on your climate I guess.

    Here's a link for replacement cushions and a link for storage ideas.

    we use patio furniture covers during the off season. They are large with elastic edges and go over the whole table and chairs. They have different sizes to suit different sized furniture.

    http://www.summerlivingdirect.com/

    http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=storage+bags+for+patio+cushions&qpvt=storage+bags+for+patio+cushions&FORM=HURE
  • 13 years ago
    i bought my patio set in 2008 and the cushions have been mostly stored inside during the winter. I am trying to figure out how to slipcover them or recover them so I don't have to buy all new replacement cushions because they are usually around $50 per cushion if not more!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wouldn't it be nice if they lasted longer? I keep mine out year round since we use the seating so much in cold weather for snuggling up for wine by the fire. Taking it all off for a light bleaching this week.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you sew? Are you handy with a sewing machine? You should be able to copy a pattern straight from the cushion and sew a replacement using Sunbrella type outdoor material and a velcro closure. If you can't sew ask the proprietor where you have your clothes dry cleaned whether he/she knows or can recommend a seamstress. (I leave my chaise lounge cushions out all year even though I say otherwise each year and all I do is wash them up with 409 or warm soapy water. I paid $90 for them in 1990 when I bought them along with the rather pricey patio furniture but it too has held up wonderfully, after having lived both near the ocean in L.A . and here near the beach in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.) Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    @Madeline...where on earth did u find cushions that durable? I want some!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Taking Handymam's suggestion one step further, you could fold over the fabric like she said but then just attach 1.5" wide elastic trim across the bottom side, connecting opposite edges. Stable and easy to remove and store or wash.
  • 13 years ago
    Or use press on velco to achieve that in place of the elastic.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Most commercially purchased (target, etc) outdoor cushions are not made with fabric or foam meant to withstand the elements--which is why they are so inexpensive and will disintegrate. If your cushions are not brought in during inclement weather and you want them to last, you really need to use Sunbrella fabrics and outdoor foam. Sunbrella fabrics are acrylic--don't use polyester outdoor fabrics. Outdoor foam is NOT cheap.--but it will not stay wet or collect mold. If you don't want to make this kind of investment, and want to do something simple as suggested above, be sure to bring the cushions in when it rains etc, or you will need to replace the covers again in no time. :(
  • 13 years ago
    World Market has some slipcovers that you can put on your existing cushions to give them new life. They have zippers and are machine washable. I paid about $30 for a very large bench pad cover.
  • 13 years ago
    I make custom made slipcovers for outdoor furniture. email me at j.denbeste@hotmail.com
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, I want to thank all of you for the great idea's for replacing patio cushion covers. Great idea's. I sew, and have two patio's that the bottom cushions covers need replacing. If you have to replace pillow coverings, just make it like a duvet cover. It is easy to wash or replace.

  • 11 years ago

    I know what you mean. I am in the same predicament. I am also not a throw away person. I am trying to find slip covers too. But I think I will just get mine sewn. Or as one suggested, wrap in a package and sew. But that is a waste of material. So, still working on it. Re-use, re-use, re-use. Save the Planet.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Looking back at my comment from last year and planning to try something new -- getting a cement mixing tub and a pair of rain boots and doing the "Lucy," stomping them clean in a bin of water with a little bleach and soap...my husband has the camera ready.

    I Love Lucy 12-Oz. Travel Goblet · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I have 9 outdoor pieces and I do meticulously store them away in winter but they stay out from April till November and mine have held up quite well even tho they're stone in color (very neutral and LIGHT colored). The trick I use is to Scothguard them with two coats every spring before I put them out and then any time I launder them. It works wonders!! Most things can be wiped off with a damp white cloth and after 7 yrs I'm still using the same covers.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi magtop -- How do you launder them? Cute puppy!

  • 11 years ago

    I pre-spray with Oxyclean on any "spots" or stains and soak them overnight in my wash tub then just toss them in the machine on a warm water perm press cycle and they come out beautiful! They also dry very quickly on a low setting. BTW Kooper thanks you for the compliment

  • 11 years ago

    Do you leave them out in the rain? And if so, how do you dry them? Also, are they sunbrella fabric? Thank you!

  • 11 years ago

    Our outdoor room has a roof so the cushions are somewhat protected from rain, although the sides of the room are open so if there are very heavy rains and wind the furniture gets wet. I just bring the wet cushions into the house or the center of the room and let them air dry and that always works well. The fabric isn't Sunbrella brand but is a weatherproof fabric and the Scotchguard I spray on them also helps repel moisture.


  • 9 years ago

    I am no longer doing this Retired.. thanks

  • 9 years ago

    What about using fabric paint as an easy "fresher upper"?

  • 8 years ago

    http://www.slipcovershop.com/c-144-custom-pillow-covers.aspx 


    Ikea also has FROSON outdoor chair covers now... for individual cushions.

  • 7 years ago

    Found these on Amazon, 4 colors available and a set of eight covers pretty cheap. May not be the most durable but if you get a few seasons out of them, it's cheaper than buying new cushions. Also spray them with a outdoor fabric waterproof spray to make them last longer QQbed4.3 out of 5 stars 20ReviewsQQbed Outdoor Patio Chair Washable Cushion Pillow Seat Covers 20"x18"X4" - Replacement Covers Only (8Pack 20"X18", Rustic Rust)

  • 5 years ago

    I take mine in at night or bad weather they last very long time.