Software
Houzz Logo Print
lemonzip

Beams! Sand or paint?

9 years ago

Hello! We just bought a house and love the open feeling on the main floor, and the vaulted ceilings (8-11ft) with exposed beams (they all see structural, and throughout the entire house - main rooms, bedrooms, bathrooms, hallway). However, the beams are stained a very dark color and feel so heavy in the space. We are trying to figure out if we should sand them down to a lighter wood color, or paint them white. I like the idea of the natural wood, but we'd like to do this ourselves, so a) it's a lot of work to maybe change our minds and paint them anyway! And b) there are a few things that make it more difficult to sand (crevices, nails/screws sticking out, a few patches of different wood, and some casing over wiring for the lights). I would love to get someone else's opinion and advice! This is what they looked like before we moved in (seller's pictures, not our furniture)

These are the side-supports that are there for the lights to hang from (can the lights just hang from the ceiling instead?)

Also, we are planning on painting the walls a light gray, and would like to change the cabinets (but they're really nice quality, I'm just not a fan of the color)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (30)

  • 9 years ago

    Painting those beams would be sacrilegious. And ruin the value of the home completely. Focus on adding light to the room. Lamps and uplighting. NO prison gray. Its time is done because it clashes with so many woods and natural elements.

  • 9 years ago

    I would definitely not paint, I would sand them and stain to the color you need.

  • 9 years ago

    This is the look I would love for it to be close to:


    with maybe slightly lighter gray walls than that (we're thinking either gray or white walls).

  • 9 years ago
    Beams are beautiful I would not lighten them. The beams you posted as your inspiration are NOT the same style. Your beams will never be rustic, reclaimed looking. Your beams are classic and strong looking and fit the style of the space.
  • 9 years ago

    Right, I totally get that it is a style and could work ok if you like that style, but it is much too dark for our preference. So right now our options are to paint or to sand. Just trying to get advice about those two processes. Thank you for your thoughts though! It's always interesting to hear people's preferences.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I guess I'm the outlier but I think they are wayyyy too dark. Stripping them is an incredible amount of work or $$$$, I would paint them white immediately. They are just pine right?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    That after photo is beautiful, thanks for sharing it!

    My husband is at the house now and just sent me these pictures - he tested a spot to see what it would look like sanded (since we knew we would sand or paint). Not sure what type of wood - if pine is the most common, it's probably pine haha. Don't mind the white paper on the other beam!

  • 9 years ago
    What if you paint the ceiling a color instead of white so the beams don't feel so heavy? It would be a LOT less work,
  • 9 years ago

    If you have the patience to sand them down go ahead me I wouldn't , They are too dark ,paint them . Is this a Tudor house ?

  • 9 years ago
    The beams are gorgeous!!!! I love them striped. That is a lot of work but you will be thrilled at the end. You just moved in so should be there for a considerable amount of time. It will be well worth it. I say that but I am not doing the work. Those beams are and certainly can be rustic.
    Your previous photos are nice but I do think the dark beams are all you see. I did like the Pro's pictures of painted beams and if mid way through you say screw it and paint them okay. But I would try my hardest to strip and poly.
  • 9 years ago

    Genevieve, It's a raised ranch.

  • 9 years ago

    I TOOK A LOOK AT THE INTERIOR OF A Tudor HOUSE Sorry I had caps lock on :) the beams are dark so in your case paint the walls with a warm colour that white is too stark and makes those beams give out a sore eye .

    Tudor on the Point · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I assume a Raised Ranch with Tudor interior ,if so work with it don't deface it or it will look like a barn .

  • 9 years ago

    you will need to get furniture probably ?


    Transitional Living Room · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hmmm. Not sure. It doesn't have that squared style on the ceiling anywhere in the house. About 8 yrs ago the previous owner vaulted the ceiling and added/exposed those beams and stained them dark

  • 9 years ago

    And yes, we need to get pretty much EVERYTHING, coming from a tiny apartment!

  • 9 years ago

    Ok even if its not Tudor it very well could be a assimilation toward it , look on Houzz and you will come up with wonderful ideas ,lets be realistic here ,sanding all those beams down will sooner be a Project that you will hate because there are just too many of them , the walls can be painted according to rugs and furniture ,live with it for a bit and take your time on making decisions that you may regret later,

  • 9 years ago

    I also like both of these looks:

    I think we'll probably try sanding a bit more and see what it looks like. Then we'll decide from there.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would lightly sand them and apply a dry brush white wash over them...

  • 9 years ago
    I like dark beans and have them on my ceiling, but the ceiling is warm gray that looks better with them I think. If you doing want to consider a bit darker ceiling come, I would paint. sanding seems like too much work.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I love them sanded to natural!

  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't paint them! If it is for sure down to sanding or painting then sand them. I think they look great sanded as well from your photo. Definitely lightens them up.
    I do spy some dark kitchen cabinets though that would also likely need to be swapped out as I am not a fan of the contrast happening there.

  • 9 years ago

    My vote is for sand (since leaving them as is has been removed as an option).

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, @lemonzip I am about to do the same thing and wondering what you ended up doing? I would love an update, progress pic, or before/after!


    I think i am going to sand them first and see how they look. If it is terrible, I will paint them.


    Thank you for any pics, tips, or advice.

    Amy

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Yes, @Amy we ended up sanding the main beam and painting the side beams white. The beams were a little difficult to paint because the tannins kept soaking through but once we discovered zinsser b-i-n primer, it went much quicker. It was difficult to sand them, and I was worried if we sanded them all it would still fee to heavy so we went with the center one only, and painted the rest. We love it!





    this is what it looked like when we bought it:





  • 3 years ago

    @lemonzip What is the name/brand of the new wall color?

  • 3 years ago

    Paint it white. I love your inspiration photos but your beams aren’t the same dimensions (beefy) so a light natural color won’t give you the effect you’re wanting. Paint white like the trim and it’ll look great!

  • 3 years ago

    " Paint it white. "


    @Lidia, the OP did this 5 years ago, long since finished I would imagine.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Would love to see how the project turned out.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert