Software
Houzz Logo Print
casey_pierce59

Small Tudor Curb Appeal

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

My offer was accepted on this home. I'm closing June 2! Woot! As I've posted before I have no outdoor vision. This house has a pretty large front yard too. So lots of space for no vision! The driveway needs to be repaved but that's going to have to wait. I'm thinking of removing the storm door, painting the sun beams white to match the trim, add shutters, possibly paint the porch, get red pots for the mini columns. What do you think? What would you do? Love hearing about other people's vision.

Ps. It looks a little better now that the grass is green and the flower bushes blooming

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    Nice house congratulations ! You need a lot of landscaping done ,good time to plan ,search English Gardens for ideas


    Remodeling in Roseland · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Not a good idea removing the storm door,I find them very useful , they are a barrier to wind ,rain and snow and the provide extra security if you want to open your front door , also if you have pets and small children you can lock them and let them still look outside .

  • 9 years ago

    I don't mind having a storm door but I would prefer to have a solid glass one. The front door is actually pretty neat but obstructed by the storm door it currently has. Thanks for your feedback!!

  • 9 years ago

    Where do you live? That will affect whether or not removing a storm door is wise. I think you should absolutely remove the current storm door and replace it with one that is more visually appealing. Something decorative or all glass so that you can see the unique front door :)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I just happen to spot this. I suggest you visit the Gardenweb Landscape Design Forum and post your project there. It would be good to add more pictures that show additional space to the right and left of the current view. Additional pics need to overlap with the one above so you must take from exact original camera position. Then move in closer and take another 3-picture set of overlapping pics that show more detail. (We need to see complete scenes, not individual shots from various angles. you'll simply PAN the camera.
    Casey thanked Yardvaark
  • 9 years ago

    we had a full view storm door where the glass could be removed and replaced with a screen for the Summer months ,

    LARSON Fullview Storm Door Entry · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Add posts to the roof over the door and mimick the mini columns on the porch, you could also add bench seating around the porch and attach them to the mini columns adding decorative outdoor pillows and planters. Adding shrubs and flowers around the house! congrats and good luck!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Casey,

    That's a really large front porch that needs to be treated as a space of it's own. Have you thought about putting up a railing between the two columns to create an outdoor room. You could then place some furniture on the porch. I agree that landscaping needs to be addressed too. By sunbeams I assume you mean the half timbered areas on the gables. Painting them to match the trim will accent the style of the house more. By the way, it's a very cute house. If you would like to see these and some other ideas mocked up check out my website, Creative Visual Concepts.

    Casey thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Cute house , congratulations! Please paint the downspouts the same color of the body of the house. They are not architectural details and should blend in, not stand out. I agree, a railing between the columns would add a lot of interest. Make sure shutters are big enough, i.e., they would completely cover the windows if they were closed. Good luck and be sure to post updates on this thread so we can follow!

    Casey thanked kaye1951
  • 9 years ago

    Oh that is a very good idea!

  • 9 years ago
    The white gables make sense, but put shutters only on the larger window under the large gable. Have a good chat with someone at a local garden centre to plan a practical, attractive front yard.
  • 9 years ago

    Congratulations! As suggested, I would paint the downspouts the house color. I would also consider painting the Tudor trim the same white as the rest of the trim. A full glass storm door, if you want one, is definitely a good idea but I'm not sure I love the idea of red as an accent color. Maybe a navy blue for the front door with big glazed navy pots for the posts. Your trim is nice and wide and very pretty so I don't think you need shutters. Landscaping will add visual interest and can be developed in stages.

  • 9 years ago

    I really like the idea of blue. I wanted to paint the porch but red seemed way too much. Painting it navy doesn't seem as overwhelming

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think red is right for your house color. Here's a navy and an olive green. Maybe it will help you decide.