Software
Houzz Logo Print
colinlewissmith

paint panelling?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I bought a home that is "cottagey" and is in a cottagey setting (mature forest, minutes walk to the lake)

I would like to make it more modern/contemporary, but I also want to maintain some of the cottage feel. I am tentatively labeling my vision "Executive Cottage" lol.

I am doing a gut reno on a kitchen that opens to the dining area shown in the pics. The dining area opens to a large deck. The kitchen will be simple, clean lines.. white, shaker, new stainless appliances.

My dilemma is this main living\dining space, and the panelling.

Of importance when considering the space:

1) the furniture is not mine, I will be putting new furniture in

2) I want to put hardwood flooring in that space. Something light such as natural oak or maple. Flooring will flow into the attached kitchen, and down a hall to the master bedroom that is on the same level as the dining area.

3) there is lots MORE paneling. There is a room under the elevated living room that has the same fireplace stone (the chimney extends down), and every wall panelled. There is a wall in the bedroom that is paneled in a diamond pattern with the same stuff.

As for this main living/dining wall....

Part of is saying that the paneling needs to either be painted, or replaced with drywall painted white, in order to give the space a more modern feel.

Part of is saying the paneling is integral to the aesthetic of the space, and the "cottage" feel. Part of me saying the fireplace is enough.

Part of me is saying that painting the paneling a subtle gray-green would work with hardwood flooring to create an organic feel that ties into the surrounding woods.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)