Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimle_morfa

Decorating Living Room across from Stairwell

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum (and interior decorating in general), so here I am with questions for you all.

Details: We rent a 1,200 square foot townhouse in the bay area, therefore the living room is really small. Here are two attached photos so you can get a feel for the living space I'm trying to decorate. Husband doesn't care for interior design aesthetics, but requests I decorate around the furniture we already have in order to save money. With this consideration in mind, I'm trying to decorate around the leather sectional, and our glass entertainment center. (Cannot paint walls

My biggest challenge so far is the stairwell opposite our sectional. We currently have the TV propped up in the corner, but I'm not sure if it would be better centered? or keep it there and add more decor?


This is the way the stairwell wall looks- img from a diff house, same layout.

Side Note: Decor styles I like:
Industrial
Urban Modern
Transitional
Contemporary
Art Deco

I kind of Mocked up a start to the living room in Photoshop

adding some live plants, an ottoman tray, rug, lamp...

Still lost on the stairwell area. :-)

Thanks!
-Kim

Comments (33)

  • 9 years ago

    i would vote you have one arm of couch across window, other arm sticking out opp of now. if that is possible? have tv on wall where half couch is currently. have ottoman on end closest to tv. then lets see where we are?

    Kimle Morfa thanked havingfun
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I'd have to do measurements but could work. similar to the configuration, below? @havingfun

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think this might be the same as what Havingfun was saying:

    -one arm of sectional along window wall

    -one arm of sectional facing large blank wall (where one arm is currently)

    -tv goes on large blank wall. Do not put in the corner. Place tv straight on either of the walls.

    Let's then go from there.

    Kimle Morfa thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    thnks cdr, sorry i was unclear op.

    Kimle Morfa thanked havingfun
  • 9 years ago

    the living room is not small your couch is tooooooooo big

  • 9 years ago

    Kimle Morfa, please give us a shot of the whole window wall.

    Kimle Morfa thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you need art, check this out!

    I have over 200 selections of my own artwork to choose from with various genres or themes. Prints / Canvases can be ordered through my various channels from Economic Selections such as Society6, Crated and Zazzle to a more Custom Size and Higher Quality from Indiewalls. You can definitely find my portfolio for your desired prints from illustrations to photography (color and black & White). Any LARGE texts on any image is for watermark / copyright control and will not be shown on the final purchase. THANK YOU! http://julianscorpio.houzz.com


  • 9 years ago


    Here's what the wall looks like unfurnished

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Given the last photo, if you are willing, I would eliminate one leg of the sectional. If you have to have both legs, you could run the second leg along the window, as we discussed previously.

    If you do that, I would at least consider removing some of the seat in the sectional.

    Whatever you do, I highly recommend not putting the tv by the stairs. That is a main walkway from front door to kitchen.

    zSKETCHES · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks so much CDR for the SketchUp!! This is super helpful, and this forum was a great resource. I'll have to ask my husband about if the futon can come apart and start doing some of the rearranging and brainstorming :-)

    Havingfun...thanks for your feedback too.

    I appreciate it!!! I'll be back with an "after" photo when things are set in place better.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You are welcome!

    I am certain the sectional comes apart. You could take the end with the arm and place it where the corner seat is now. Then you have a sofa with a chaise end on one side.

    You could put the 2 single seats (that are then leftover) on either side of the tv. There might be connectors showing on the side, but they could be disguised with a side table or something else.

    The only piece you'd have left to store is the corner piece.

    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. At that point, you can start decorating.

    Kimle Morfa thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Wow, I didn't realize it took me almost 4 months to post again about the reconfiguration. Unfortunately our sectional only comes in two parts, not three. My husband didn't want to get rid of one end so this is what we compromised on... which still feels much more intimate than before. (In this photo, the futon is propped to keep the dog out of the living room when we're at work.) Thanks for the advice!!!

    Now I want to get some more decor. I was thinking a piece of artwork and a houseplant? Any other ideas? Placement recommendations?

    This forum is the best. :-) so many great tips to learn.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Vast improvement! Would you be willing to place the tv on the wall opposite the window? Then I'd add a piece of art to the large wall.
  • 9 years ago
    TV on the wall side was my first instinct, but the hubby said it was easy viewing from all sides of the couch (him and his football watch parties ). I'm shopping around for artwork right now for a statement piece and maybe a houseplant to lively it up.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    It is challenging, but very common when couples don't share the same vision. The way I see it is that ther is only one seat on the short leg of the sectional and today's tabs can be viewed from the side.

    However if the tv must be angled please spend your funds on a solid console that looks more like a piece of furniture.

    After the art consider a few pillows for the sectional. Good progress!
  • 9 years ago

    haha, yea the lamp does look puny, I'm going to use it as a desk lamp instead. Gotta find a lamp I'm in love with first. Thanks for the image reference. The dog in the corner was adorable. My dog blends in with the couch. :-D

  • 9 years ago

    There are lots of really great TV stands that aren't brown and not too expensive. $234:

    Corrigan Studio Ewing 60" TV Stand & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info


    https://www.wayfair.com/Corrigan-Studio-Ewing-60-TV-Stand-CSTD2823.html

  • 9 years ago

    Next dog needs to be not brown.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I guarantee you only one person can fit on the short sectional side and tvs can be viewed from the side. A compromise might be a larger tv in exchange for placing it flat against the wall. To date, No man has ever turned down a larger tv.
  • 9 years ago

    A wife can usually get her way in the end.... especially with a bribe of a larger TV! Best idea to date.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Smart Kimle. Larger tv idea never fails.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Could you please take a photo, standing by the railing, facing the window? I am wondering how the sectional sits, in relation to the window.

  • 9 years ago
    Here you are.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Thanks. That looks the best based on your limitations of having to use the entire sectional. Please invest in an end table that is the height of or slightly lower than the sectional arm. Ideally it should fill the depth of the sofa. A lamp towards the back.

    Alternatively you can put in a floor lamp and then add a c table to go over the arm of the sectional.

    Please remove the rug.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, I'm excited to start on some of these changes.
  • 9 years ago

    did you wish to do a black and white color theme? can i have a better pic of the rug, so i can see what goes with it? here are some lamps, etc.



    5-Arm Arch Floor Lamp by Ore International at Gilt · More Info

    All Table Lamps | Explore Our Curated Collection - Shades of Light · More Info

    Search Results | American Signature Furniture · More Info
    or
    Maya Round Back Coffee Table - Walmart.com · More Info

    Mainstays End Table, Black Oak Finish - Walmart.com · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    yea, we were considering a monochrome color theme. our rug is a gray with light slate blue color on it. we decided we will upgrade to a larger one or remove it all together as suggested above. I'm open minded to color but I'm really torn between committing to a color right now. artwork might dictate our decision. I found a cool black abstract art I like, but I'm worried if I can pull it off with out making the room feel too "dark"
  • 9 years ago
    this is the kind of vibe we're looking at
  • 9 years ago

    i see that, but, pls note that art is something you love and much like an expensive diamond or other natural stone necklace original art goes with anything. generally you complete your decor based on your rug.

  • 9 years ago

    The stairwell wall as you see it directly upon entering the home could be a great place for a large art, console table too.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    This comes in several different sizes. Not "dark".

    East Urban Home 'Dissolve Me' Graphic Art Print & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info
    If you love that art that you posted above, using it in the family room depends on how you feel about your guests and art. I do think a lot of people will see it as "dark". If you have a lot of guests and that bothers you, I'd use it in another room. If you don't care what they think, hang it.

    You don't need a rug on a carpet.

  • 9 years ago

    Your art (the largest print available) with the TV moved to the wall (I couldn't turn your console, so you'll have to imagine it), a chair, a more industrial lamp:



    Ramp Mid Century Fabric Lounge Chair Set - Free Shipping Today - Overstock.com - · More Info

    Hans Andersen Home Christen Grey Table Lamp - Free Shipping Today - Overstock.co · More Info

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH