Software
Houzz Logo Print
sandya49

Need help with paint color, rug, lamps, etc.

9 years ago

I need some input on choosing a wall color, thinking of Revere Pewter, rug, lamps,and end table,


etc. I have attached pictures of my new navy sectional, the old one showing how much room I have and the curtains I am thinking of using. What about using brass curtain rod, picture frames, lamps?

For now, I have 2 tan Lazy Boy recliners. There is one window that goes across the back of the room facing the river. It is not a very big room. The TV is on the only other wall without an opening.

Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago

    Hi, nice couch you've picked out. These dark blues somehow go really well with brown. I love the 'wooden touch' in the room with what I guess is the door frame (?) and the shelves.

    Would it be possible to use the same color and thickness of wood, that you have as a door frame - or whatever it is - for a frame and beams for the ceiling? I do think that would enhance this room enormously. In that case drop the most high shelf, for it would be too near to the ceiling.

    Yes, you can use brass, but be careful that it will not demand all the attention in the room. I would use it sparcely and only there, where the eyes of the people should go, meaning definitely not as a curtain rod. The curtain rod of the same wood tone as the ceiling or of wrought iron. Hey, I really do like wrought iron, for it has a manly look, but when wrought gracefully also a feminine look.

    Personally I do not see how those curtains match with your new couch (or the rest). I would pick a curtain in exactly the same colour as the couch without any pattern. A thick curtain, maybe velvety? At least for the sides, to hang besides the windows. To keep the sun or nosy gazes out, you could use another, thinner curtain in the color of the walls. This may have a nice pattern.

    As for the walls: I am not a fan of the pewter, making it look harder and colder. How about an off-white shade with a beige undertone in it for most walls and then one wall in a more distinct beige, like the color of the lamp in your lowest picture?

    So the curtains with a pattern I was writing about, would have a pattern of beige and off-white in it. Not a boxy, but a curvy pattern would be elegant.

    Does this help? Lots of fun with all of this!

    sandya49 thanked Maria Privat
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    This is a double post!!!!

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, but before I put it in the wrong discussion and I really wanted feedback on paint, etc. Sorry if this is something I shouldn't have done.

  • 9 years ago

    The curtains have navy blue that match the couch, off white and the tan of the chairs.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Sandy, are you referring to the curtains in the picture? They might have all the right colors in it and still I do not see how they would match. They are way too wild for a small room. Actually I would find they would destroy the whole picture. Demanding all the attention, screaming and kicking for it.

    Just a warning. You may ignore it. But then you've got to live with the consequences.

  • 9 years ago

    The ceiling are only 9 foot is that too low for beams? This room is part of a 2 story addition that was added to our 4 square house built in 1876. The trim is dark made out of walnut, oak, etc. It goes through all of the house.

  • 9 years ago
    I love the sofa and think the curtains will be very nice with it! I painted my foyer Revere Pewter..it is such a beautiful shade of creamy greige. However... It really changes drastically in different rooms due to light conditions. Please put up samples to make sure it is exactly right for you.
    I like your taste! Good luck.
    sandya49 thanked 1Busygal
  • 9 years ago

    Sandy, it doesn't even look like 9 feet to me. But if you think beams will be too big, you could go for 'shelf-deep', which is less than an inch. And it doesn't have to fill the whole room. You could go for a double frame sort of thing, a bit like the picture below.


    Provencal Farmhouse · More Info

    sandya49 thanked Maria Privat
  • 9 years ago

    That looks nice, and something I will consider.

  • 9 years ago

    I bought a sample can of Revere Pewter and Accessible Beige. The gray I have now looks green. In fact, I loved there a few months before I figured out it was gray after I had painted a adjoining wall sage green.

  • 9 years ago

    As for the curtains, I will probably switch to heavier curtains in the winter and they probably will be plain navy blue. In fact, I have some I bought to try from Home Goods. But for now, I like the print, it brings some texture too that long wall.

  • 9 years ago

    The whole idea of this site is to get some fresh new input from other people with other tastes as well. No more, no less.

    It's your house, dear. If that's what you like: go for it. Enjoy!

    sandya49 thanked Maria Privat
  • 9 years ago

    I appreciate all input. But I really need paint color and ideas for a rug and lamps.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I don't know about the gray. maybe a gray/blue. or pick one of the colors in the pillow.

    see if you like any of these

    as for rug, look on Houzz and check out the blues/whites/cream toned rugs.

    nuLOOM Turnbull Rug, Dark Blue, 7'10"x10'10" · More Info

    Artistic Weavers Organic Chloe 5'x8' Navy, Off White Rug · More Info

    playing off the warm golden tones in the pillow. you could also do the walls in a very toned down cream/golden tone.

    Artistic Weavers Organic Aubrey 5'x8' Gold, Off White Rug · More Info

    sandya49 thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago
    I have Revere Pewter--it's gorgeous and I receive lots of complements. Go online to Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs to get some ideas for lamps and end tables. I have tortoise shell roman shades on my windows with panels on each side. My opinion, patterned curtains, would take away from your view. Pick up patterns in your pillows. If you can't make a decision on a rug pattern, I'd suggest a sea grass from Pottery Barn. I have a dog and I actually steam clean my rug, elevate and dry with a fan on it. I've not been able to do with other brands.
    sandya49 thanked templehendricks511
  • 9 years ago

    Some rooms with navy blue sofa for inspiration and other things in the room.

    Print curtains pale pale pale blue room....BM Ice Cap maybe

    2622 N Upland St · More Info
    Tan walls; all colors taken from plaid fabric on chair; could be a pair of pillows too
    Timeless Traditional · More Info
    Two toned color black curtains in solid an print
    Green Hills · More Info

    Woven wood Roman Shades.

    Spanish Modern · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I am liking the tan more and more. The window wall goes into my kitchen/dining room so it would go well with my dark cabinets. Thanks for the pictures.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    faded bright green
  • 9 years ago

    I like that rug.

  • 9 years ago
    Your current white walls look very nice with the blue sofa. I wouldn't paint the walls. Rather, I'd get some patterned drapery panels with accents in blue in similar tone to your sofa. These panels would contrast nicely with the white walls and coordinate with the sofa.
    sandya49 thanked MGdecor
  • 9 years ago

    I just cannot pull the trigger on choosing a paint color. I painted a sample of Revere Pewter and Accessible Beige. The Revere Pewter wins that contest, but I have a sample of Agreeable Gray that I'm thinking might look better. Any thoughts? This room is very bright due to a large window.