Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisaweir

color for kitchen wall

13 years ago
I would like to paint my kitchen and I'm having trouble picking the best Benjamin Moore paint color with my granite. It is galia ornamental and I have stainless appliance and dove white cabinets. I have tried Hazy skies, Elephant Tusk and Putnam Ivory. They are not really working for me and I am getting frustrated. I am trying to lighten it up from the milk chocolate color on the walls. The room adjacent is linen white. My island is black and has a cherry wood top. The floors are heart of pine darker stained than cherry island top.

Comments (38)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    can you post pictures please?
  • 13 years ago
    ok will try and attach a few. I am replacing lights as well and putting up tile back splash, but need to pick this out as well
  • 13 years ago
    The two pictures are of the kitchen and contiguous breakfast room. I
  • 13 years ago
    I'd pick the backsplash first then the paint color
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    go with a color with more blue tones.

    Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage Paint · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would go clean and simple with a white subway tile and a pale yellow color paint.
  • 13 years ago
    This is what I was thinking as well. I will look at this Saybrook Sage. I was wondering about the color Revere Pewter. I have seen this on other walls. Any suggestions for lighting
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Revere is really nice look at edge comb as well
  • 13 years ago
    Ok thanks I love the Saybrook Sage, but It may be a little more green than I was thinking. The Hazy skies is somewhat green.
  • 13 years ago
    I also think I need to paint the island. Any suggestions for this color, and how do you paint over black?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Is is stain or paint ? Either way a good primer clean the surface with tsp and then scuff sand the paint are you painting or having it done ?
  • 13 years ago
    i have a friend that will paint it with me. It will be a mess to sand the surface, but I think it darkens my kitchen. i may paint walls first and see if it lightens the room . I am thinking of bell lanterns for island.and square lantern over breakfast.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would agree with doing walls first and when I said sand it's a light sanding not sanding all the finish off you just need it for adhesion for the next paint color
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    When hanging your lighting over an eating area, bottom of light fixture should be about 60" above floor, making it about 30" above standard table height. Above your island could be higher, about 36" above top. Right now, they are both too high for good light.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the chocolate color, your room is large enough to carry the darker tone. Perhaps the lighter backsplash as suggested by Margo Corpening would be enought to lighten the kitchen area? And what if you just paint the kitchen chairs white, and leave the island black? The cabinets look too new to be painting. Besides, you will never be able to match your other cabinets perfectly, and it will be obvious, unless you were to paint the island a light grey?
  • 13 years ago
    What about SW Macadamia? That seems to be the latest neutral, yet "colorful" beige everyone is suggesting these days?
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Nancy. i will look at this color. I was thinking of painting the island a light gray or some darker version of the walls. Do you think I need to just put two lights over the island or one. I like your height suggestions. I am thinking of Bell lanterns (hindu from Pottery Barn style) or just some open square ones like the ones in Ballard designs. The island is fairly long and might need three. I really would like to us the holes I have made for lighting instead of having to fix one of them.
  • 13 years ago
    what about a light gray for the walls and a dark gray for the island?
  • 13 years ago
    How long is the island? The usual spacing is 24". I would say stick with the three. BTW, I don't like the Ivory walls with the white cabs, after all. You need contrast.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Nancy, Lisa -- per Nancy's suggestion: SW 6142 Macadamia --
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Lisa, here's SW 2860 Sage --
  • 13 years ago
    The island is 8ft 5" The fixtures are 2 ft apart . This is really cool how Ed did the walls. It looks like SW 6142 is like a light green. Is this my computer?
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Ed, What about Revere pewter on the walls. or Edgecombe Gray
  • 13 years ago
    I am also thinking of painted the fur down on the top dove white like cabinets to make it go all the way up.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Lisa, SW 7542 Natural --
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi Lisa -- are "Revere pewter" and "Edgecombe Gray" BM colors ? I'm using Sherwin-Williams' software. :)
  • 13 years ago
    You must be from Maine, LOL, that;s the only place I've heard of a soffit being referred to as a "fur down!"
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi Lisa, here's SW 7673 Pewter Cast -- I like this one for your breakfast room :) --
  • 13 years ago
    On my computer that looks blue--it must be a blue-toned grey...
  • 13 years ago
    LOL Know I am from South Carolina and these are BM colors
  • 13 years ago
    I hung out with the carpenters one summer and not sure of any spelling, but picked up a few words.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Nancy, for SW 7673 Pewter Cast, its RGB values are Red 157 Green 154 Blue 150 -- so it's pretty much straight gray, not blue-toned. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Probably because furring strips are used to create the framing, maybe?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Then it's my display. Funny, I thought I calibrated it, but I've been having problems with it lately, so maybe it got messed up.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Nancy -- probably has to do with the surrounding colors -- the floor appears a bit red, so maybe in comparison, the gray appears blue-ish ? :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Nancy - it may be the lighting and the floors. It looks blue/gray on my monitor as well. But do a google image search for the color. Looks **entirely** different.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Lisa -- actually, I like your current existing wall paint color. :) Just to throw it out there, here's SW 6656 Serape --