Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobatulus

Nubuck Leather sofa set needs a serious overhaul

lobatulus
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Who has suggestions?

We purchased an Eilersen sofa set about 30 years ago. The pieces are well made: cherry wood interior, goose down filled cushions, removable headrests, all the bells and whistles. Really a superbly made set.

The sofa (love seat, 3-person couch and chair) are super comfortable. Unfortunately generations of our black labs agreed. Food and wine got spilled on the couch over the years (not by our labs), but by us and friends.

Here is the problem: the couch is tan Nubuck leather. We cannot wipe it down. The stains have penetrated into the leather. I had a professional leather cleaner out and he charged me $150 to clean the chair, but the chair did not look much better after the cleaning. So, I did not have him come back to do the other pieces.

I took some pics that I am going to attach, and I was shocked how much worse the sofas look in the pics than in real life. The pictures show:
the chair, the chair with the headrest turned up, the loveseat (in all its stained glory), and seat cushion of the loveseat folded back. I hope the images do justice of the fine craftmanship.

We would like to dye or upholster the pieces. Has anyone experience with nubuck leather? What color would you suggest? If the pieces can be upholstered, should we use fabric? What would you recommend we do?

We live in Boulder, Colorado. The dry climate and the sun have taken their toll as well, even though we have the blinds drawn when the sunlight directly hits the furniture.

I hope we can salvage the pieces and make them look nice again. I am looking forward to your input.

Comments (12)