Software
Houzz Logo Print
michella1616

Help with exterior color!

13 years ago
We are getting our house painted next week (yay, so glad to put this color behind us!) and I am having some anxiety about what color to use. I also am wondering if I should add shutters to the two bare windows, and would you do everything one color, or would oyu add some dimension to it? Thank you so much!

Comments (18)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm a "real" shutter fan! That means actual shutters hung with hardware, adds a lot to the facade On your home I would put shutters on the two windows that are on the stone (brick?) walls. As far as color goes, the wood siding color is too similar to the stone (brick?) I think more contrast would be cool. Lets see what everyone else has to say! You will be getting some great ideas!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @houssaon, beat me to the post! I'm going shopping for shutters too! I will post some pics. I like their input in regards to color!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This style of shutter looks good with wood board & batten siding! Note the hardware and size of shutters can actually close over the window!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks y'all! So, we were honing in on SW 7743- Mountain Road, a gray/green. But now, I am thinking it's too green? I love the idea of a creamy white. Also, re: shutters, would they be a different color than the trim and board and batten? Will it look silly to have two windows a different color? I have not seen a home with alternating colors? Thoughts?
  • 13 years ago
    I like the creamy white with your brick. Could you give us a close up picture of the brick as it seems it would go well with a lot of colors. Unless your front door is natural wood, I would paint it a fabulous color.
  • 13 years ago
    I think shutters in a stain/paint similar to the roof color as in Kevin Patrick's photo would beef up the small windows and repeat the color in a major element: the roof.

    I also think that doing the bumped out portions in a double percentage of the same color you use on the brick would make them stand out, but not in a "too obvious" way, Doing a double percentage simply makes the color darker version of the 100% version while not looking "choppy."
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    All good advice. cream trim will brighten things up but a better comploment than white. The shutters on the two small windows only should be in a darker shade of gray green or green/black. the front door can be painted the same color as the shutters or a brighter color such as berry red.
  • 13 years ago
    You all have definitely given me a lot to ponder ;). Our front door is mahogany, and they were going to restain it to make it pop! So you think paint it? Or what about a dark ebony stain? Would near black be okay?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes stain it dark! Mahogany is my all time favorite wood!!
  • 13 years ago
    @Ramona here is a close up of the brick.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This house gets more cool the closer you get to it!! Nice!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    [houzz=
    Exterior · More Info
    ]

    Your siding has nice vertical detail.

    This house has similar color stone instead of brick with white and grey. I like it.

    You might think I'm nuts but what about this color on your siding instead of the grey even though I like the grey? Cream on the v's of the eaves and grey or this heather on the siding. The siding on this house has the same vertical detail yours does.

    [houzz=
    Paint Color SW2818 Renwick Heather - Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Exterior · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    @Ramona- I really like this look! I do like the heather color, but I feel it pulls too mauve-y. But I do love the idea of the two tone. So now, still a dark ebony stain on the front door and shutters that match the roof? Or is that too many colors?
  • 13 years ago
    I'd match the shutters to the door if they turn out to be wood. The roof is dominant already?
  • 13 years ago
    Surprisingly the color of your brick and the house I posted are very close. But the creaming white siding makes it look so different. I like a color close to the shutter color in that house for yours.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    This one is called flexible grey and can go lighter or darker. Screen colors are always off. Look at it in person at Sherwin Williams. On screen it looks the same as heather, but I bet it reads differently in person and will also read differently in large patches outside in different light.

    [houzz=
    Paint Color SW6011 Chinchilla - Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    ]
  • 6 years ago

    love the mountain road! what did you decide?