Software
Houzz Logo Print
sondramartina

My living room just not coming together

9 years ago
Hi

I posted my living room questions on Houzz a couple of times and so far I wasn't able to make this room any better . I bought this white TV unit yesterday and it looks horribly white against everything else so I'm returning it.
I had a teak unit before but I wanted modern look combined with kilim rug .
I will post the rooms I like in my next comment.

What kind of a TV unit should I try ? Coffee table and chair suggestions as well please.

Thank you so much.

Comments (60)

  • 9 years ago
    what about something like one of these from houzz? I love your rug
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Denver Country Club Home · More Info
    You can configure IKEA units for something like this for the base. Your TV is much larger than shown in this example but the concept would work well. Because you have your TV mounted so high, it will require a substantial base that is taller for balance.

  • 9 years ago

    A console high and dark would look great under your tv :)

  • 9 years ago
    Pull in the same wood tone that is in your dining room set. I like the wood one with the black edging but it is still to low.

    Also paint out the gold on the fireplace, you can get a fire rated paint in black to spray it.
  • 9 years ago
    This is an IKEA idea, there are different colours to choose from and the units can be configured into whatever design you like. It adds storage and makes a statement
  • 9 years ago
    Here is an IKEA idea, these units can be configured however you want. It gives you storage and makes a statement. Comes in several colours.
  • 9 years ago
    I like the grey metal look, console and table from overstock. Love the egg chair. Definitely have to look at a solution for that area over fireplace, maybe a art piece that could fit in there
  • 9 years ago
    You could do some sort of shelving in that alcove above fireplace, a funky lamp.
  • 9 years ago
    The TV is set too high - unless you like living with a sore neck. The arrangement is a conversation killer - which is fine, as long as this is just a TV room. A floor plan and additional picture would allow helpful comments to be made.
  • 9 years ago
    It doesn't look finished because you need more art on the walls. Especially on that wall to the left of the tv
  • 9 years ago
    Try a larger and higher TV cabinet for better scale with the TV. I love the look of barn wood with black accents. Use art and shelves to balance the wall. The furniture is low, so bring in height with curtain panels to bring the eye up. With all of the natural light, have you thought about painting a warmer color so the dark furniture wouldn't be such a high contrast? I don't see a lot of personal items. Do you have some favorite photos that you could take to Costco or some place that could make larger ones on canvas? You could even take some yourself of favorite places in your town!
  • 9 years ago
    How about a vintage sideboard.
  • 9 years ago

    Agree the club chair may be the odd man out, notice the inspiration pic chair has visible legs. The white TV thing has absolutely no relationship to the style of the room.

  • 9 years ago

    On your other post, you show a teak dining table and white chairs in the same space. Are they still there? How wide is the TV? Your cabinet should be wider by 25% or more without crowding the fireplace.

  • 9 years ago
    It looks like the sectional is crammed into one side of the room and I keep wanting to rearrange everything to create more balance. A photo or two from different directions, particularly showing access to this room would be helpful. It's a nice size room and I'm sure we can figure this out.
  • 9 years ago

    I just wanted to show you the TV height . It is in line with the alcove ,otherwise it would go half way in between fireplace and the niche. And the height is pretty good for us , we are all tall so no sore necks here :) The niche itself will be taken care of once we finish other things. Hubby wants shelves , I'm thinking of closing it completely.

  • 9 years ago
    What if you painted that whole wall a dark color? Even black? I think it would tie together the black features---the TV, fireplace, and piano. Then you could get a black TV console and it wouldn't be so jarring. I'd replace that black chair with something else.
  • 9 years ago
    With your rug, couch and pillows I think you could pull off a Bohemian look if you wish. You could find a unique piece at a thrift store and paint it a color from your rug. There is no white in the rug, so I don't think a white unit is ever going to work.
  • 9 years ago

    I would paint the niche and make it a focal point with shelves and the right accessories.

    I agree that you should look at higher tv unit something in distressed wood maybe?

    I like the chairs you are thinking of getting but I wouldn't go for such a light color.

  • 9 years ago
    I think the biggest problem is the opening over the fireplace. I would put a big wooden mantel over the fireplace that extends down the wall all the way under tv. I would put shelves in the opening. Then maybe stone veneer on that whole wall.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    More pictures

  • 9 years ago
    Get a taller TV console. That is what stands out to me. I wonder if there is a rule of thumb about distance between the two. Maybe 6 inches, like picture hanging above a couch???
  • 9 years ago

    Glad someone mentioned shelves for your niche....I think they would look good. As for the height of the TV....when you are sitting down, are you looking at the center of the TV? Doesn't matter where your TV comes on the niche or the fireplace...you need what is comfortable for you. Then you can decide the heighth of cabinet for under the TV. I like the one you had only in darker wood and look for some cord covers if they show between the TV and the cabinet.. Have you thought of a glass coffee table? Pretty rug would show through. Otherwise, get the same type wood as your cabinet you get for your TV.

  • 9 years ago


    Made some changes last night. We need to finish assembling the TV unit , needs doors and to be centred. Plus niche, new chair , art....

  • 9 years ago

    Looks good...like your inspiration pic :)

  • 9 years ago

    Should I try different pillows now ? Are these off?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The furniture under the tv crowds the fireplace. I'd move it and the tv over to the left.

    Then an I would put a wood or tile border around the fireplace and up to the ceiling. I guess you could do it in paint too. And maybe a mantle a bit higher (you'll have to cover part of the niche above)

    ill try my sloppy iphone photo skills in it to show you what I mean.

    Also put art art on that empty wall! Two nice big pieces!

  • 9 years ago

    sondramartina thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Made some more changes. Used yellow chair from another room, different art above piano... I still need to find some art for other wall and complete other things . Just wondering should I continue in this direction?

  • 9 years ago
    I think it's looking great! Some pillows that are solid yellow, or have yellow in the print, will help tie in the yellow chair. Brass or gold lamps, picture frames, vases, etc, would also help.
  • 9 years ago

    Sondramartina, didn't you have a vintage teak MCM media cabinet before? Why did you get rid of it?

    Arlo Mid-Century Media Console (80") | west elm · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Actually, I looked again and the white console looks good with your white coffee table and white chairs.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    First of all, beautiful home! And adding a fresh vibrant plant in that far right corner by the TV could bring some light and life into the room and help to tie things together. Something like a dwarf orange or avocado tree could be fun!

  • 9 years ago
    Grover you are right . The teak credenza was there before but we wanted a fresher feel in the room so credenza ended up in the dining room. Looks good there :-)
  • 9 years ago

    Have a look at the Pottery Barn website under Media Furniture. Pottery Barn Media Furniture . They have so many ideas and versions of consoles and towers. I think that you could get some ideas for taller pieces which many of the Houzzers above are suggesting. I really like the picture posted above of the fireplace clad in reclaimed style wood. The height that a finish like that would add to the room would be well balanced by a higher TV console with some towers.

    I feel like your wall colour isn't quite right with your furniture colour. Maybe something in a light grey colour would be better - I am partial to BM Revere Pewter, but it may not be quite right for your room. I think the colour needs a bit more presence if you know what I mean. It looks yellow to me and a bit stark against the dark colours in the couch and the rug.

  • 9 years ago

    @MV I agree, the wall colour is off. We are planning to paint to whole house in a few months.

    The TV unit is different now. It is taller but the entire wall is still work in progress. We need to hook up the electronic , hide the wires, accessorize it ....


    I like the reclaimed wood style for the fireplaces in general but I feel anything that high in the middle of my room would visually divide it into two spaces. Am I wrong?

    And this is the latest photo .

  • 9 years ago
    I would get a wood tv media console cabinet not white.
    A fabric chair not more leather.
    And a palm somewhere for color and height.
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry didn't see this latest fabric chair you have now. I like that addition.
  • 9 years ago
    Still think you could use some warming wood furniture in there.
  • 9 years ago

    I keep looking at your room and the inspiration photo you provided. The inspiration photo is all about soaring height and I have a feeling that is what you are drawn to (along with the rug and furnishings) But what I see when I look at your room are many squat things, the fireplace looks short because of the nook above, the TV on a lower console (sorry not a fan of the white to be honest) and the piano. Even your couch seems low. That is why I think others are suggesting height as well.

    Consider this....I really like some of the rustic looking shelves others suggested for that nook above the fire. Something with colour to fill out that space and add height. If shelves aren't your thing, then you need tall pieces to fill that space until you decide how to handle it or to fill it in.

    The TV on a unit with some more height than the white stand you've got now. A tower on one side maybe if you don't have room for one on either side.

    A really lovely big piece of art above the piano. Both that you've shown feel a bit small for the space.

    Also, I see you've got blinds on your windows. And I know that you have adjoining open rooms with more windows so it might turn into something too expensive, but what about adding some long floor length drapery from the ceiling - it would also give the illusion of more height and be a bit less utilitarian than the white blinds you have there now.

    Those white columns at the entrance don't really do it for me either. I think the mood you are going for with that room doesn't match the style of the columns. When you are painting, maybe consider having them blend in a bit more rather than being stark white. Or if you have the budget maybe replace them with something less formal looking. I know that might mean it would impact your flooring etc and like may jobs, it dominoes into something overwhelming.

    My advice for now, choose your paint and make a change. Find a higher console that you like and maybe it becomes the jumping off point for some other improvements around the fire etc.


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My ceilings are 9 ft and the sectional is standard height with deep seats.

    The whiteness of the tv unit bothers me, but hubby loves it , so I'm trying to make it work. It feels cold to me the way it is now. 111ideahound , you are right, it needs more wood somewhere.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello. If you are not considering heavy construction, I suggest putting some floating shelves in the nook and replacing your TV console with a taller one. These changes will help provide a stronger foundation to start filling the room correctly.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    I just placed these leftover hardwood floor boards to help us visualize and we like it . So hubby promised to do a little hack and add a wood top on the white tv unit .

  • 9 years ago

    Looks good !! Have you considered hanging the pic that's over the piano in the fireplace nook...and getting a bigger rectangle pic for over the piano. I think a bigger rectangle pic would look good with the shape of the TV. :)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @outshopping422 , Yes i did consider a bigger pic over the piano. I just need to find the right one, although I like the colours in this Dionis . It has cream, yellow and green to compliment the rug and chair. Maybe it's just the angle in the previous pic. Is it really too small?

  • 9 years ago
    .
  • 9 years ago

    Yes it is very pretty and a good size pic...must have been the angle of pic. What I meant but didn't word it right was a rectangle turned horizontally like the tv. I am a very symmetrical person...sorry lol.

  • 9 years ago

    I like the print over the piano. You need to finish the niche before this room will come together. You need something interesting there. An Indonesian figure?

    A Dogon granary door?
    Shelves?



  • 9 years ago

    Those shelves look good. Thank for the books Grover :)

  • 9 years ago

    You're welcome, sondramartina. They're all differential calculus books. There'll be a test next week.