Software
Houzz Logo Print
flyblack44

FRONT PORCH / HANDRAILS/CURB APPEAL!

9 years ago


We are about to add handrails and railing around porch. I am looking for a more cohesive modern look that still looks good with the house style. I also would like to add bigger house numbers somewhere and possible change the paint color of porch if needed. What would you suggest for decor? Any help would be great!!! I really am a visual person so pics would be wonderful, thanks again.

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Cute! For starters, I'd say get rid of the tall skinny evergreen nearest the front porch that is blocking windows (at least) and the bushes by the stairs. I'd also remove the "set" of shutters at that front window! Do you have a picture of the house straight on-from the street?

  • 9 years ago

    Hi- Husband not too keen on cutting down a tree. For now we will have to work with it. Can't get everything I want! Here is a pic from street. Thanks for reply.

  • 9 years ago

    You might look into dwarf azaleas and/or hydrangeas as foundation plantings to enhance the long prospect of the house.

    flyblack44 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the other picture so quick, audupnorth! IMO, the pointy evergreen and bushes are hiding your front porch. The examples deco posted are fabulous-Do you like them?? At this point I'd say paint the steps and porch white so they will show up better. Behr makes a product that is quite thick for painting concrete that has gotten good reviews.

    flyblack44 thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you want to keep the evergreen shrub to the left of the steps, you'll want to cut it away from the steps. The good news is that the shrub is a yew, and you can cut it back very severely, right to bare wood, and in a few months it will sprout back to cover the cut areas, and look just fine. This is the time of year to do it.

    Cut back the square corners so it's rounded on the top, and looks more natural. And cut it away from the pathway so the pathway can be used. You'll be cutting right to bare stems, and it will look odd at first, but will fill right in.

    I'd also cut the growing top (the top foot or so) off the tall shrub to the right of the porch. that will limit its height. If it gets taller it will be higher than the house, and look odd.

    flyblack44 thanked partim
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You have a charming cottage and you might want to concentrate on enhancing the cottage appearance, Modernizing this home would not be appropriate.

    There is nothing sacred about those wrongly placed plants. Cut the evergreens & yews down.

    flyblack44 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 9 years ago

    Look at the difference taking the one evergreen out makes. Imagine the difference with the other one gone. They are too close to the house and past their prime.

    flyblack44 thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for all the input. Love the pics and examples given. I agree with the he advice of taking trees down ! ( or for now, just trimming as it is just not my decision) I will work on that. The place has a lot of potential. Any suggestions on color of cushion for rocker and planters or a rug perhaps? Thanks again everyone. This site is so helpful. Have a great day.

  • 9 years ago

    A length of chain and a vehicle can take those bushes out in a heartbeat!

    flyblack44 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 9 years ago

    I'd suggest any cheerful color that you like for your cushions. And a rug would be your preference too. What styles do you like? This would go with a lot of different colors!

    Orian Veranda Indoor/Outdoor Connect the Dots Area Rug, Multi, 5'2"x7'6" · More Info

    Will that glider fit across the other way once you get the railings up? It seems like you would have more room if it did but looks are often wonky on a computer.

    Some rustic looking numbers:

    Log House Number 3, Antique Copper · More Info

    Have you decided on your shutters? I think the green Beverly showed matches your grass perfectly!

    flyblack44 thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago

    Clematis would be nice on the new porch post. I'd remove the shrub next to the steps.

    flyblack44 thanked emmarene9
  • 9 years ago
    Could you box in the front porch and the pillar? also I would remove the tall skinny bush too as everyone has said and trim the small on back. Then add a little hanging flower from the pillar.
    flyblack44 thanked Hooves
  • 9 years ago

    Maybe keep the current wrought iron "post" and paint it white.

    flyblack44 thanked emmarene9