Software
Houzz Logo Print
tedirankin

Tub Too Long... Beautiful but not relaxing...

9 years ago

Have a beautiful, double slipper acrylic tub that is very long. With nothing to brace your feet on at the end bathers tend to slip underwater. You literally cannot lean back without sliding under. What can I do to remedy this problem, and be able to lean back and take a relaxing bath? Help... it's beautiful but not relaxing...

Comments (50)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    They're not beautiful, but you could try a rubberized tub mat that would give you some grip. I think I've seen some clear ones, which would be better than the old solid style. Otherwise, you might need a companion at the opposite end to brace yourself against. Oh my, did I just say that?

    tedirankin thanked Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    A tub pillow?

    Inflatable Bath Pillow With Suction Cups · More Info

    Or fill it less?

  • 9 years ago
    yes, two people, solve the problem for each other.

    how long is the tub?
  • 9 years ago

    i think the non-skid stickers might work. place them right where your butt starts when you are sitting in your most comfy position, it will keep you from sliding further. perhaps add a rolled hand towel or wash cloth to create an extra speed bump.


  • 9 years ago
    you get non slip strips for stairs. check around, you may find something similar which wouldn't look out of place
  • 9 years ago
    hehehe... Sorry to giggle but I always lament of the opposite problem- too tall to be completely submerged in most tubs. always part of me is cold!

    I have not heard any better solutions than those already given. Best of luck!
  • 9 years ago
    just jls - knees sticking out of the water? I can relate

    Ted - how about a snorkel?
  • 9 years ago
    yup. had a fabulous tub in a rental in the UK. super deep so could be totally covered neck to toes. pining after it for the last 4 years. saving for a bathroom reno here to put one in.
  • 9 years ago
    When we redid our bathroom, the new tub was much longer than I was used to. Our designer suggested a foot stop. I used it for awhile, but eventually got used to the longer tub. It was a pain to clean. It is now about $100.00 more than it was 5 years ago.
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all. After researching spa cushions (that tend to hold water and get mildew and mold infested), non-slip treads (that tend to be rough), baby bath mats in a variety of fun-loving colors, etc. I found a great, no brainer solution. I have a small, modern "clear" bubble "bath mat" with suction cups on the back that was new, purchased long ago (never used) for a large walk in shower. Tried it out and it is very comfy to sit on and just right for a seat. It made leaning back in the sloped slipper tub super comfy. Plus, it doesn't look like those obnoxious, old-fashioned bath mats of old. The clear bubbles totally disappear when the tub is full.

    Thank you all for your great suggestions. Oh... and yes, that 72" long Sheba tub was bought with a companion bather in mind on the other other end... lol. That also works very works nicely as long as feet are placed strategically so as not to hurt each other.

  • 8 years ago

    I have the same problem. I slip right in with neck crooked in quite an uncomfortable position.Driving me crazy! Did the clear bubble bath mat really work? Which on did you get? Keep thinking I also need something to brace my feet. Any ideas?

    tedirankin thanked Kate Taylor
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Using a child's non slip step to rest feet on. But needs a mat as well.

  • 7 years ago

    I've been using a yoga block to push my feet against. You can use the longer side or shorter side and it floats at the same level as your water. But I feel like some sort of adhesive ridge that keeps your butt from sliding forward would be perfect. I love my tub but its a little too long or I'm a little too short.

  • 7 years ago

    A college friend of mine went home for Xmas break and was feeling burned out after a week of final exams. So he decided to take bath and soak. There was a container of bath beads on the tub so he dumped about half of them in and got in for a soak.

    As he lay there, the water cooled and he reached up to turn the hot water on. As he did, his butt lost its purchase on the tub bottom and he slid under the water. And because of all the oils and everything in the water he couldn't get a grip on anything to lift himself above the surface.

    He survived to tell the story and laugh, but apparently he made a huge mess in that bathroom floundering around.

    Use a mat.

  • 6 years ago

    I had the same problem! Have a beautiful 6 ft tub but had nothing to brace my feet on. I just found a great product on Etsy! Seems like it will work. Search "tub too long" or "tub foot rest" etc

  • 6 years ago

    Etsy ! What was the product? Finally got dream bathroom but sliding and floating like a fish 😬

    tedirankin thanked Ms Gough
  • 6 years ago

    I am fairly certain I purchased my clear bubble shower/tub mat at a popular discount store and they truly work. Probably Bed and Bath or even Amazon would have a similar product. Do not know the brand name. It is approximately 26" x 15" with drainage holes amongst the cushioning bubbles and suction cups on the underside, clear and curved at the ends not square. You can run their long side either way (going up the sides of the tub or up the back). I have two one for each end of my beautiful tub for those romantic "champagne bubble bath" occasions with that special someone... lots of laughs and lots of bubbles. It's like being a kid again with benefits... lol.

  • 6 years ago

    Peacefulhome ideas on Etsy

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you 🤗

  • 6 years ago

    Enjoy your beautiful tub.

  • 6 years ago

    I just checked, you have to type in peacefulhomeideas with no spaces to find it.

    Enjoy:)

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! So smart

    I ordered 2

  • 6 years ago

    Brilliant idea! I’ve been using a mat on the tub floor which works, but I’m gonna give this a shot.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Can someone post me a link please on the peacefulhomeideas

  • 5 years ago

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeacefulHomeIdeas?ref=usf_2020


    They are out at the moment. I sent a message and I received an out-of-office message. I tried the OXO good grips and it works perfectly fine.

  • 5 years ago

    Just got the Oxo good grips (took a month to get it shipped from Amazon). Fits well in the tub and has very strong suction. Haven’t tried it out yet so will have to see how well it holds while under water. Will post back with results.

  • 5 years ago

    Just wanted to follow up regarding the oxo grips....FANTASTIC!

    Works perfectly under water....no sliding and it works great as something to brace your feet against. Has a very strong suction and can be placed anywhere as long as the bottom of your tub doesn’t have ripples or divots (needs to be a flat surface).

    Love it and recommend for those whose tubs are too long to be comfy and relaxing.

  • 5 years ago

    Did you buy it in the uk?

  • 5 years ago

    Purchased on Amazon USA.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Glad you were able to solve your problems. The folks here at houzz had some pretty inventive solutions but, then, they almost always do. Houzzers are a smart bunch!

  • 5 years ago

    Would anyone possibly be able to post a picture of the bottom of the Etsy foot rest? They seem to no longer be making them but it was exactly what I’d been looking for :( Id like to see if I could possibly put something similar together with that being the case. Thanks so much!

  • 5 years ago

    Not sure if you'll get this as it's been a bit. I couldn't copy the pic here but you can hit the link below and see the picture there. I've wanted to get this product too but it looks like they are out of business for now. But you could maybe make one with the right stuff.


    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeacefulHomeIdeas?ref=usf_2020


    Also, I'm going to try out the Oxo good grip as I think that is a great idea! Scroll up to see info and a picture on that one. Good luck!

  • 5 years ago

    Etsy site is back up. peacefulhomeideas great tub foot rest

  • 5 years ago

    I got the Oxo good grip. It was inexpensive, is unobtrusive and works well!!

    Mission accomplished!

  • 5 years ago

    You have to try a Bath Bean! Solves the slipping and sliding issue! Check it out at bathbean.com

  • 4 years ago

    And yes that OXO bar works perfectly, no more slipping under. Love my tub but at only 5 feet tall I could never have a relaxing soak…so grateful for the ladies who found a solution and shared.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @tvbstudio…. Unless the Bath Bean is a foot and a half thick, it will not push ones body out far enough for bracing in an extra long tub. Also, it’s $100 as compared to the Oxo which is now $40 (was $25 when I purchased it). Price increases are getting crazy these days.

  • 4 years ago

    OH goodness you need to try the Bath tub Foot Rest from Big Girl Spa Essentials! It is amazing!

    www.biggirlspaessentials.com


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago
  • 4 years ago

    I tried the oxo on my Kohler Mariposa tub and it didn't stick. Has anyone found a solution that isn't hideous looking or costly?

  • 4 years ago

    Omg I think this might be the greatest life hack ever. I purchased the gorgeous MTI Cassandra tub and had the same problem — too long and I can’t stay upright! Then I saw this thread and bought a suction grab bar at Home Depot (don’t even know the brand but it’s white and not obnoxious at all) and it is perfect!! Exactly what is needed to enjoy the bath and stay upright!

  • 4 years ago

    PS - it was under $20

  • 4 years ago

    Lauren did you actually purchase the biggirlspaessentuals foot stop? I'm wondering if it would work on my hammered copper tub.

  • 3 years ago

    Yikes!!! Why would I want to try and relax with my knees locked and bracing myself against a bar for my feet! lol

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Stop bathing alone.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Found this post searching for the same issue, because I'm short and I need something when taking a bath. While reading and searching, I thought of this great idea, and want to share, with you... I think is going to work perfectly for me. I'm buying this bath grab bar/handle with heavy duty suction cups from amazon https://www.amazon.com/LORESJOY-Handicap-Bathtubs-Bathroom-Indicators/dp/B0B8QWTBGR ... to just place on the tub floor, just to hold my feet...

  • 3 years ago

    Fabulous idea! Thank you.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The Bath Bean was designed for this exact problem! Great design, anti-microbial, dishwasher safe and finally lets me recline in my hige tub!! I LOVE it!! www.bathbean.com