Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliburger

Need help for this indoor planter box

Juli Burger
6 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the shape of this planter box; it was originally supposed to be a water feature. So, I believe I have water available below the rocks. Taking it out isn't an option because we don't have any extra tiles and can't find a match. This feels like such a sore eye to me. The furniture isn't ours (it was staged) we just bought the home. We are having the stairs stained almost black to match the rest of the look in the home and the walls painted a light gray. Any help would be amazing.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

You have a great spot in front of it to put a gorgeous upholstered bench.

Juli Burger thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Juli Burger
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so very much; thats a great idea! Life saver!!! Would you put a round piece of marble or granite on top of it so that you don't notice the sharp corners that don't follow the curve of the stair case?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I would follow the lines of the planter and not have any overhang so that it looks like a platform not a counter...once it is done that angled box won't bother you....make sure to have electricity to that area so you can add a up light to showcase the sculpture it will look amazing at night! Love that you are making the staircase dark:))

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

OK, Houzzers..........here's the rest of the home. Still think the house should be painted gray? Not me. The house is very nice and I would not paint it

The house is stunning and I would not paint it gray, when everything in the house is based on the current color. I do think changing the color of the staircase is right, but I would sand & stain the treads and paint the risers to match the flooring in the dining area.

• Juli Burger
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for all the great advice. We are remodeling the kitchen - the pictures make it look much better then it really is. Unfortunately the cabinets are peeling off... they were unfortunately really poor quality to start with. Thank you again for all the great advice!!!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Please look at the first image. I think you can get ride of the planter, perhaps install a contrasting black tile/granite in the space and then position a tall tree in a planter on the space.

I'm not crazy about the oak staircase, but painting it all black isn't much better. Sand and stain the treads to match the dining room floor and paint the risers white.

Here are some curved stairs for inspiration.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Juliburger...if you want gray.... I say why not...so many gray haters...no different than all the many years that everyone did Tan or Biege.....better than wanting to paint every room a different color or the dreaded burgundy!!:))

Of course you need to make sure to go very light and stick with a gray with warm undertones so it doesn't apear blue...my top choice is SW Worldly Gray it is a very neutral gray/greige color..you can't go wrong...it will look gorgeous with your dark staircase!

love all the dark window casings...just did a lakehouse with all black windows...Dorian Gray walls and Shoji white trim...so pretty!

what color cabinets will you be putting in the kitchen?

• Juli Burger
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    All such great ideas; thank you! And sorry we were planning on sanding and staining to match the hardwood in the formal dinning room. The white risers is definitely interesting.
    I will check out that gray color you recommended. I am planning on doing the cabinets the same color as the doors and window trim with white/gray granite on the countertops. Still trying to decided on the backsplash. We are putting a white/light gray carpeting down instead of the 12 year old dark gray that's on the floor now (which I think makes the space feel really dark).
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    I would remove this and since you have water access you could create a garden with low light plantings or just pebbles and potted plants as BeverlyFlad posted.
  • emmarene9
    6 years ago

Indoor planters, which I like, presume everyone has a green thumb. In this case I can't tell if there is even enough natural light for a plant to survive.

I would make the platform lower before topping it with granite. That way you can have a taller sculpture. It will require drywall repair but that is doable.

I'm not suggesting white granite. Just trying to illustrate the idea.

• Juli Burger
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, keeping it a planter won't work because there isn't enough natural light all year long and it's a second home so we won't be there every month. It was originally designed to be a water feature from what the plans say.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

There is enough light for a few lower light plants. You have water there and, with some thoughtful planning create a drip irrigation system for the plant.

• Maureen
    6 years ago

Encase with some type of tile or stone or paint black to match your stairs and add a large, modern sculpture.