Shop Products
erikcniz

Quartz Countertop Seam

erikcniz

What are your thoughts on this seem? This was installed at my house yesterday. I would think the fabricator should be able to line up the veins better than this.

• Kathryn P

The veins would bother me for sure, but the background colors of the slabs would bother me even more. The right one is so white compared to the slab on the left. Have you discussed with your fabricator yet?

• CLC

Is that even the same slab? The veins don't bother me as much as the color difference. The one on the right is a brighter white with darker veins.

• acm

With a big pattern like this, the layout should be discussed in advance -- some fabricators have software that allows them to input photos of the actual slab(s) and move the boundaries around so that you can see what's possible. At minimum, they should make some effort, but it does depend on what was contracted. Agree that there are many questions here -- the cuts and seams seem nice, but the patterns...!

JAN MOYER

Okay, here we go again. As near as I can make out in the photo, you have a seam, left of a sink, or left of a cook top, and a corner "turn" to a peninsula or adjacent kitchen wall.

This material, seemingly Calacatta Nuevo /Caesarstone, is not the best choice for a perimeter with turn area, UNLESS:

It's a completely straight run of top with no seam. Meaning no turn, or one so short it can be done with no seam.

OR

You have a fabricator willing to place a seam at the middle cook top, or the middle of sink. The reason for this is, it provides a visual "break", where a match in veining ( not possible with this material) will be a total non issue. Not every fabricator will do this, despite it is very safe, and very effective.

As above poster stated, were you shown seam location, and did you sign off on this at the fabricator? Was it explained to you that a match in veining is not possible in this material without much EXTRA material such as an additional slab. It hardly matters if it is off by an inch or off by a mile. All misses in large scale veining are noticeable. Matches are ONLY possible with book matched , natural stone.

Did your kitchen require two or more slabs, and were you given opportunity or did you ask to, approve ALL material, Seaming placement, Layout, prior to cut,polish and install.?

Your seam is perfect. Veining is as above considerations.

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Oh man, this would drive me crazy. It's not the seam that is the problem but the rather the slabs and the way they line up.

Brickwood Builders, Inc.

I wouldn't be happy with it, but I would plan ahead and spend hours with the material and the fabricator to make sure that it would work out as I wanted - or find another material. The devil is always in the details.

• Carly Schwanz

Those two slabs aren't even the same Quartz. There was a silly mistake made. I feel like there was not a layout, maybe this was done through a company that didn't offer one.

Darla Powell Interiors

Eek! I would try my darndest to get that redone.

• ninigret

veins may not match every time but background colors do, thats why one buys quartz.... someone used two different kinds of quartz.

pull out your sample and see which is the one you ordered, so that when they redo you have two of the same kind.

• erikcniz

I guess I was incorrect in using the term "seam". I'm concerned mostly about how the veins match up and also the background color. We ordered Dupont Zodiaq "Calacatta Natura". Do you think the right slab might be "Versilia Grigio" instead?

http://www.zodiaq.com/-colors-of-zodiaq-r-#collection-light-veined

Calacatta Natura:

Versilia Grigio:

• ninigret

i think the other way around (based on your labeling). the grigio you show has a greyer, busier background than the natura. in your kitchen i'd say it was natura on the right, grigio on the left.

• erikcniz

To me it looks like the grigio is the darker one. Here's photos of the rest of my kitchen. There's an island which looks great. The other section has a seam at the sink, but it's very small and just at the back because the sink is an apron style.

• Chessie

Oh man...I don't see how a fabricator could do that. The layout should have been planned in advance to avoid that sort of mismatch. If a single slab could not have been used, then that pattern was the wrong one to use in that situation. Was it not discussed beforehand?

Beth H. :

read what Jan Moyer said. she hit the nail on the head. this should have all been marked off on the slab prior to cutting. Were you aware if there was enough of the material on the left to make that turn where it's seamed? If not, then they used a piece from you island slab. this should have all been talked about before it was even cut.

• A S
    the contractor might or may be redo it since it's already installed. was someone home when they wete doing it? it's worth a shot to raise your concern. considering you will need to look at it day and night and it's not in a spot where you can put stuff to cover the difference, it will bug you.
  • Joshua Sanders

What if you get one of these or maybe a different model and place it on top of the seem?

You can also place a nice mat under the machine or at least at the end where there can be splashes.

• erikcniz

This is the 3rd piece they have cut for the cooktop section. It's been really frustrating. The quality seems to get worse every time.

Here is the first piece they installed. The misaligned cooktop bothered me even more than the veins:

Veins don't line up, but a lot closer. I feel like they were so close to doing a good job on this one:

And cooktop is not centered on drawers. I could see this from the other side of the kitchen:

The second attempt they cut the hole for the cooktop too large and there was a gap:

Beth H. :

oh wow. hell no. no excuse for not centering it. you may have lucked out if they can't rectify that. I would not accept this, nor pay for it.

Possley Builders LLC

No it would both us also. I would contact the fabricator. Was there a seam drawing that was approved by you with photos of how the slab that you chose was going to look?

• acm

Veining in first one was good enough that I would have kept it, but not putting the cooktop in the right place is just shoddy. I might contact the maker of the quartz (e.g., Cambria) at this point about getting somebody competent to do this last piece...

• pudgeder

Totally unacceptable!

• erikcniz

There's already a seam at the kitchen faucet. I'm thinking the best way to make this look good would be to get a new slab and make the cooktop -> faucet all one piece. The area is 4.5'x7.5', which I assume can be done with a single slab. I think the hardest part will be trying to match the slab color to the rest of the kitchen. Thoughts?

• chinch

are they on drugs?

• pudgeder

Did you ever get this satisfactorily resolved?

• House Home
    did they ever fix the issues?
  • erikcniz

No, they offered a $500 discount on a $10,000 countertop. This company is Duracite. Worst company I've ever done business with. Right now I'm trying to find another company to rip it out and install a new one.

JAN MOYER

Total bummer. It seems unfair indeed, but these boldly veined materials are difficult on perimeters as yours. Live and learn, and hopefully you find the more reputable source to advise you the second time. With your due diligence at the ready : )

Joseph Corlett, LLC

That seam is misplaced. It should have been made at the cooktop at the right.

• June Porter

OMG!!! Absolutely!!!