Software
Houzz Logo Print
casey_pierce59

Barn Door for Bathroom?

9 years ago

My house has one tiny jack and Jill bathroom. In trying to create space, I am considering barn doors on either side. That way, I have a extra whole wall (the doors open in). I know you can get hooks to lock them but I'm still a bit concerned for privacy (especially with noises.) What are your thoughts? Maybe I should just have the doors open out to the rooms to accomplish the same thing?

Comments (21)

  • 9 years ago
    No barn doors on a bathroom, no privacy.
  • 9 years ago

    Uh..... NO

  • 9 years ago

    NO.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Not on bathrooms

  • 9 years ago

    Could you do pocket doors?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You say the doors current open into the bathroom, so the first and easiest thing to try is to have them swing into the bedrooms. Live with that for awhile before making any drastic changes.

    And don't do barn doors for bathrooms. Especially for a jack and jill bathroom.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I have also done barn doors on bathrooms. When installed correctly with locks, they work just fine. Like Stacey Hermann said, go for it!

  • 9 years ago

    Yes - go for it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here is one of the bathrooms where I did a barn door. It isn't complete yet but we just did a slab door just like all the doors in the home. Artisanhardware.com is where we bought the hardware. Client loved it!

  • 9 years ago

    Does it roll well? I went to a house with a barn door and people would get stuck in the bathroom and they would have to save them!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It was perfect! It also has a stop on it so it won't crash either way when opening or closing. I want to do one in my house as well for my office!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Patricia doesn't like apron front sinks; I don't like barn doors. Much too informal for my tastes. They call them "barn" for a reason; that's where they belong.

  • 9 years ago

    Love this thread. I have a friend who follows every trend to the Nth! Degree. She has barn doors everywhere, @ home & in her office ( along with countless pieces of word / message " art ", concrete counters, reclaimed wood, & any other trend that comes along! Needless to say, her house is in a constant state of redecoration.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    We found a reclaimed solid door with an upper frosted glass pane. Think old movie Detective or Principal's Office door. We hung it on simple track hardware as a barn type door due to space constraints. We've never had guests trapped in there, but if they were, they'd be stuck. No noise issues with that door.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    hbfn:


    The transition from solid surface to stone and estone countertops was a trend, not a fad. The use of barn doors is a fad, not a trend, and hopefully one that will die quickly.


    My wife looked great in shoulder pads. Can't wait 'till they come back.

  • 9 years ago

    In this application, is there a seal between the barn door and the doorway? It seems like there would be a gap between the door and the opening. I can't imagine this would be a good idea for a bathroom.... Please correct me if I am wrong.

  • 9 years ago

    I was in an boutique hotel once that had barn doors on the bathroom. It was not private, and it was noisy. All I thought the whole time was, what were they thinking?? It's not a good idea.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Lol, Joseph. Before we started building our house in 2005, I had already torn out magazine pictures (everybody remember them?) of barn doors. So a couple more years and I will be glad to be the only person who still has a barn door in my house. Plus, we live on a small farm, including our horse barn. That has garage doors at each entrance. Barn doors on barns are a terrible idea in snowy climates.

    Anyways, there is a small gap, but one thing that may make a difference for us, beside the hefty door, is that one edge closes against a wall.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @Stacey Hermann Designs Do you have a recommendation for a barn door with the locking mechanism? Thank you.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @Lehigh River Kitchens Do you have a recommendation for a barn door with the locking mechanism? The locking isn't super important because it is for my master bathroom but would nice to have it. I will be having my contractor install them so I'm looking for a nice quality one with a nice heavy weight door - with brushed nickel hardware. Thank you.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County