Software
Houzz Logo Print
d_pohlmann

Exterior update help

9 years ago
We just purchased a home and want to update the exterior and landscaping. Painting the brick is not an option we are interested in though. Any ideas?

Comments (23)

  • 9 years ago

    Glad you don't want to paint the brick! I'd change the door and shutters color. Black shutters is classic, but I really like the look of charcoal or navy with red brick.

    Gallery Of Our Work · More Info


    John Wilson Siddall House · More Info

    Balmoral Renovation · More Info

    Grand Central · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Move the plantings further from the house. The pillars and large bushes detract from your street view. Play up your verdigris roof by sharpening the green to a slightly brighter tone than your current trim.

    Your goal should be to reshape the lawn by planting beds that are generously wide and curved...the green of the lawn will shine.
  • 9 years ago
    We've discussed charcoal shutters and a black front door. I never thought of removing them completely but that might work too. We will test out a no shutters look before we paint them.

    I know the landscape needs major help but there's a beautiful rose bush and some other flowering bushes that I know are tough to establish. I do like more simplified and contemporary front landscaping
  • 9 years ago

    It is hard to see a close up of the landscaping. It looks like a gate is there? Do you have any pictures that show more of a close up.

  • 9 years ago

    What a nice house! To my eyes the biggest issues are those brick pillars and the front door. I would remove the pillars and replace the door with a single door with sidelights .

  • 9 years ago
    Here are some more pics of the landscaping.
  • 9 years ago
    ...
  • 9 years ago

    The shrubs have been maintained, but they are huge. I'd move the two that are close to the entrance by the pillars and also the one that is closest to the front door. A tree in the front yard, like your neighbors would look nice also.

  • 9 years ago

    I think the columns lose their impact because there is dark green shrubbery behind them. I made an image where I scribbled out a few shrubs and the columns are more noticeable and the eye is drawn more towards the door.

    I would remove all the shrubs inside the fence on the left side and the one behind the column on the right side. Low perennials would be best for that area. To keep the rose you have to wait for the correct season and transplant it to a better location.

    When you paint the door this time do not outline the molding.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Too much going on. Consider painting the lighter parts dark to match the brick, and doing something with the siding in the gables. What I have is too dark -- something closer to the roof, but darker.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank for all the ideas! We are definitely going to take down the bushes to open up the front more. And play around with paint colors for the front door, siding, and maybe the shutters.
  • 9 years ago

    Remove the shutters.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree on a darker color, I'd use greenish gray.

    This is BM River Silt.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree that removing the bushes is a much needed change. More informal plantings will look more modern and open up the space. You have beautiful wide trim and I don't think it's necessary to have shutters on one side and not on the other. I would remove them altogether. A mid tone gray on the siding and gables is a nice idea. One solid color for the door would look better than the molding outlined as suggested. I think if you switch to a gray for the siding and gables, your front door might actually look good in the same white as your trim.

  • 9 years ago
    I also think you should take down the shutters. Definitely a new door. You have a nice home good luck
  • 9 years ago
    Wondering if PPF's suggestion to paint out the areas that are not brick at the front door could be your mortar color. Paint the peak siding the same mortar color. White front door to be more visible. Change any downspouts to mortar color or darker to recede against the brick, the white stands out too much. When you are painting, take the shutters down for a week or two to see if you like it, they can always go back on.
    Are the sides and rear of your home also brick?
  • 9 years ago

    I would probably keep the shutters and paint them black. It would help accent the black iron fence in the front. I would get a new door and probably go with black on that as well but a lighter color might help it not seem so far back and dark. There are too many too large bushes in the front. Take them out and see what the rest of the landscaping looks like without those big bushes. Looks like there is some nice stuff without the big bushes. I would remove the flower pots from the top of the pillars. Not the type I would usually put that high up. I think they are best with no pots but, if you like flowers there, go with a lower pot and flowers that cascade down. I like the pillars being there and think they with the iron fence will really accent the house when done But don't confine your landscaping to the fenced area, extend it all the way to the driveway on the left and add in front of the pillars as well along the walkway.

  • 9 years ago
    The rear of the home is brick and siding just as the front.

    Regarding the front door, we are going to paint it for now. Either a charcoal or black. A new one will be a future purpose in a couple years.
  • 9 years ago
    Here is the rear of the home. The sides are all brick.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Just an example of darkening the siding to a neutral roughly the same value as the brick and darkening the garage door.

    You could play with the Sherwin Williams visualizer.

  • 9 years ago
    Wow! I like that!
  • 9 years ago

    Nicely done Bette