0

Camellia cuttings in winter

Just Started(Sydney)
last modified: June 18, 2017

Winter is not the ideal time. However what has happened is that an elderly gentleman gave a camellia japonica flower with a bit of stalk to my daughter. Now instead of throwing it away I dipped it in rooting powder and plunked it in a pot of 511 mix.

The only issue is that we are going into peak winter for Sydney now. I have no greenhouse. All I am planning to do is to keep it in garage in night and out in sunlight in day.

Any tips to increase my chances?

• vvasabi

I’m not an expert and have very limited experience rooting camellia cuttings, but here are the things I would do.

• I would remove the bottom 5 leaves, keeping only 3 top leaves.
    • I would cover the pot (exposing only the bottom drainage holes) in a clear plastic bag to create a mini-greenhouse that traps humidity. Use a rubber band or something to make sure humidity does not escape.
    • You don’t want to expose a camellia cutting to any direct sunlight before it has rooted. I would leave it at a bright spot inside the house until spring.

Good luck!

Just Started(Sydney) thanked vvasabi
  • Just Started(Sydney)

Will do. Let's see what happens. Will update with results later on.

• Just Started(Sydney)

Good news. It survived the winters. Keeping it in dappled shade now.

• vvasabi

Very nice. It looks great! Congrats!