Software
Houzz Logo Print
angela_kirk28

Will laminate "cheapen" the design?

9 years ago
Is laminate appropriate for a "high end" remodel?

Comments (26)

  • 9 years ago

    Not usually. Most of it looks ink-jet printed, worse if there's any real wood within sight, and by the time you get to the stuff that looks reasonable, you're within spitting distance of real wood (at least engineered).

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    A 200K kitchen with laminate counters? You'll get kicked out of the red knob club that's for sure. You need to be looking at choices at a consistent price and quality level. Yoyo choices like putting in Cheepchinesecrapola cabinets with a LaCornue, or $400 a square Blue Bahia in a $100K house is just a completely mixed up financial priority.

    If you're talking high end Euro laminate cabinets, the answer is maybe. If it fits the house and doesn't look like a spaceship landed in a Craftsman, then it can work. It has to be done thoughtfully, and in context.

  • 9 years ago

    hah! apparently we don't know whether you mean laminate counters (no), laminate cabinets (maybe), or laminate floors (no). so, um...

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Never appropriate for high end.

    Angela Kirk thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is a really blanket statement without having any idea of where and what laminate they are talking about. I happen to have a pretty high end home with laminate floors that most people think are real slate , IMo with 2 huge dogs that choice was a much better one than scratched up wood floors and I for one do not like working on tile floors all day.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Well my dears welcome to 2017. I make no qualifications about the product nor have I ever used it nor am I vendor for it but this is not your Mom's plastic laminate. Stuff like this is out there. A brochure for this product came into my office about 15min ago

    http://www.organoids.com/en/produkte/dekorbeschichtungen/lagersortiment/

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Forgot to mention. The salesman who brought the brochure also had small samples. Some of them smelled like their name!

  • 9 years ago

    thank you everyone! I did mean floors:) This is my first time using this function of the site. I have a lot to learn!

  • 9 years ago

    Laminate is being replaced by Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) in the area of faux wood flooring (not including wood look tile.) Many of the Parade Homes in my area used LVP in the homes up to about $350,000. After that price point the switch was to hardwood, but I noticed rarely was the hardwood throughout the home - just some in the kitchen and open area - living and dining rooms. $300,000 is a moderately priced home in my area. $400,000 is beginning high end.

    Last year more homes at this price point ($350,000) would have had hardwood flooring. I was surprised to see the LVP and one home had it listed as a high end material - which I thought was an over statement. Many of the hardwood floors have gotten very expensive.

    Personally, I would get classic oak 2 1/4 solid hardwood floor site finished if it was in the budget. It is not trendy, but it is a forever floor and has been around over a hundred years. It is usually not as expensive as the wider planks of prefinished wood.

    Angela Kirk thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago

    Incredible or not, fake wood floors will never be ''high end''. Middle of the rod, maybe. Maybe.

    Angela Kirk thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    If you are trying to make your floors look like hardwood, then laminate will never look as good as real wood. If, however, you are trying to get a modern look with new materials, then a high end laminate plank could be cool. I think it depends on where and how you use it and the look you are going for in the house. If you are going for a traditional/transitional/farmhouse look, laminate will never look good or "high end".

    Angela Kirk thanked Julie B
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Laminate comes in many forms that are not “wood” at all Germany makes some amazing laminate flooring that is installed some very high end homes and commercial buildings. I have used German laminate in my last house and this one and never wished I had OAK which is by far my most unfavorite wood.

    Angela Kirk thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 years ago

    Still not sure if the OP meant countertops or floors, lol...........

    Angela Kirk thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes, I saw no "floor" or "countertop" qualifier.

    Angela Kirk thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    She clarified above that she was asking about floors.

    Angela Kirk thanked suedonim75
  • 9 years ago

    Don't do laminate floors in the kitchen. They hate moisture.

  • 9 years ago

    Point taken Sue, when I read the trhread this am that wasn't there. Houzz has been a bit odd like that lately more than once with responses not appearing until much later.

    Angela Kirk thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Ok...floors have been designated. Now we need a qualifier for "high end". In Vancouver BC, high end = $2+million. High-end Condos = $1Mill.

    So....we need to qualify what "high end" means to the OP. If high-end means $200K, then laminate is appropriate. If high-end means $450K, then laminate floors might be the right option...depending on other things.

    If high-end = $650K, then I would say "no" laminate flooring is not appropriate. Same goes for anything above this price range. Basement play rooms are in a different category so it might work there...and then are changed out sometime before you try to sell.

    Again, it ALL HINGES on "what is high-end" to the OP?????

    Angela Kirk thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • 9 years ago
    The house is currently valued at a little over $500k. Looking to do a kitchen makeover with a budget of 70-90k but not more than 100k, hopefully under. The house is unique and, while I'm hopeful to save some money in some areas (may not go with subzero fridge, etc) I want to do right by the home and don't want to cut the wrong corners. I really appreciate the feedback!
  • 9 years ago

    With that budget, skip the laminate. Go with hardwood site finished.

    Angela Kirk thanked User
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Laminate has certainly come a long way over the years and can very closely resemble natural hardwood, but with a lower price tag. To create very detailed and realistic looking wood designed laminate, we scan actual wood planks like old barn wood, reclaimed wood or beautiful white oak, hickory, walnut and more. Using those beautiful images, we create highly detailed designs and can even emboss the natural textures of wood onto our planks to give it that feel of real wood.

    We don’t doubt that you could be very happy with a stylish, high-end laminate in your kitchen, but if you prefer to install hardwood at the end of the day, we recommend you go with your instincts. Laminate is realistic, versatile, easy to DIY and durable, but you should make the flooring decision that you’re most confident in.

    If you choose to go with laminate, know that it stands up well to pet traffic. We would recommend a wide plank laminate such as our Grand Summit in Classic Hickory, which features an ultra-durable Microscratch Protect finish and anti-bacterial coating. You should consider a sound absorbing pad underneath, too. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

  • 9 years ago
    In that price range I would completely expect hardwood, but not necessarily Subzero.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    No laminate in kitchen!!!! So glad that has been dealt with. Now you get to figure out the next option. Which brings us to vinyl, etc.

    Of course a kitchen renovation does not exist in a vacuum. What are the OTHER floors? If you have wood (or wood-look) then another "wood look" product is NOT a good idea. Do you have other stone or tile (or stone-look or tile-look)? If so, how close are they to the kitchen? Is there carpet? What are the colours involved?

    Whew! With a kitchen renovation that is smack dab in the middle of the "regular renovation" price range (average kitchen reno = $50K) you would be best served working with a certified Kitchen Designer. Said designer can come in, view what you HAVE and then set up a design profile for the new kitchen. Colours/appearance of the floor can then be decided upon when you decide what type of material/visual you are working with.

    Again - laminates are NOT allowed in kitchens. So the original question is moot. Vinyl then becomes the next option. Or a cork floating floor. Both will fit inside the "high end laminate" price range.

  • 9 years ago

    I struggle a little with using a a property's valuation, without consideration of other factors such as location, climate, use of property and lifestyle, etc.

    I currently own two properties as I finish out my career and translation to retirement.

    One property is in a manicured inner city area of a metropolitan city (Toronto). The other is in a forest location in a "cottage" community, on the shore of Lake Huron. With a valuation of $500K the summer home would fall into the range of "high-end" by many people's definition. My "cottage" and many others in the neighborhood are being transitioned to upscale homes intended for the owner's retirement. When I complete the renovations it will be be valued at close to $750k

    I would never consider putting LVT or laminate in my city house. It has stunning site-finished oak.

    Conversely, as I renovate my summer home into a full time retirement house, I am putting LVT into the main living space.

    Being in a forest on the shore of the Great Lakes comes with very high humidity. I am not a huge AC fan and do not want to run AC in the shoulder seasons to ensure my hardwood floors are not cupping. The grounds are "cottagey", rather than manicured and formal. This comes with dirt, pine needles, and leaves tracked into the house regardless of how careful one is. During beach season, there is sand tracked in. There are multiple decks that connect outdoor and indoor spaces, and large wide connecting doors are often left open. In short, this property is not a candidate for hardwood, despite its valuation.

    These are extreme examples to illustrate that there is no single correct answer. You need to consider your own situation.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Nice wisdom and 'texture' added to the discussion from both Cancork and Colin here.