Software
Houzz Logo Print
tlopez1214

Which chandelier?

9 years ago
Which of these two chandeliers would you choose for a kitchen table in the same room as three 13" brushed nickel elk Chadwick pendants over an island? The kitchen consist of white cabinets and medium brown hardwood floor.

Comments (79)

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Porter. I like your first option but it's towards the tail end of our budget. I'd prefer something for a little less. The second option is too tall for me. The third is pretty but maybe too industrial and won't go with the rest of the house.

    Is this too industrial too?

  • 9 years ago

    Here are options A, B and D. I tried to guesstimate the dimensions of each fixture. I still prefer D.


  • 9 years ago

    No, the one you show is not as industrial looking as what I posted by any stretch...

    I would look nice IMO... I just don't like a full on shade blocking the opening to the other room, so went with my LOVE the lantern..... The one you posted is not visually blocking the next room.

    It won't hang low enough to the table is my fear due to the rods. You don't want it to hang to high!

  • 9 years ago

    Go to the lamps plus site and search this light.

    Newberra 20 1/4"W Antique Gray Square Frame 4-Light PendantStyle # 9H455

    You can copy and paste the picture with your dining area on to your desktop there is a button with every light and it says, "view this in your room". I just want you to see this style is all.

    I'm unable to send it to you as they don't allow it... I tried a link, but I don't think you'll see it.


    Just try it!


  • 9 years ago

    I just used my program... very few lights to choose from yet, I wanted you to see a white shade or white light vs. a light that is not white in the space.....

    I'm not seeing the white?? I put the only white shaded ceiling lamp they have in my program just to show the two different colors.

    REALLY want you to try the light in your room on Lamps plus that I sent the link above to.....

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Ugh, had to take a photo of it because the site won't let me copy it even after I emailed it to myself.... just hate the visual of the stark white blocking the space...

    maybe a light gray transparent drum if you want a drum?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Suzanne, thank you so much! I agree with you. Of the drums, the last one is the best. Porter, you're so helpful. I hadn't thought about the drum blocking the visual space. You're right. That last lantern looks good. Does it go with the industrial pendants I have though? Does it matter that the finishes aren't the same (brushed nickel vs. antique nickel)?

  • 9 years ago

    Did you try it from the lamps plus site by uploading your photo... it's naturally going to be off a tad due to monitors and so on...however, it's a lot more clear... I think a lantern light goes with anything as I sent you a photo of the same lights you have with chrome with a polishes silver lantern.

    A lot of the lights you chose with white shades had polished silver or other silver than your lights. I think it's absolutely fine as long as it's in the silver family is all.

    I'm sorry to shed this light on this, but I just wanted you to see how the stark white larger drum was compared to even the wine barrel light I posted at first....

    I do love the lantern for any space...


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks, Porter. I did check it out on Lamps Plus. Their program is very helpful and that light is very pretty.

    Your shorter lantern is on my list. I like it because it's open and not that tall. I'll need to digest the difference in finishes. The lanterns ARE beautiful but way too tall to meet the dimension criteria for my table and my 8' ceilings.

  • 9 years ago

    For example this is a metal you chose which is a lot brighter looking than your pendants from what I see on my computer.

    with a white shade vs.






    It is very hard to tell if your pendant color is a a shiny silver or a matte or semi matte or other... however, it appears to be some place in between.

    Any silver tone metal works... I just fear the white circular drum is all and thought I'd toss out my opinion. I think the lantern is timeless and goes with anything and one never tires of this style... IMO :)

    If you want to go drum try a muted gray drum... will still obstruct or block the adjacent room, but if you go on Lamps plus and try one you may see it might please you more if you go with a more muted drum if you want that. I would not personally do a drum with the lights and kitchen all circles....

    That's me and you need to be happy.... that's the beauty of HOUZZ... you can get a lot of opinions and see a lot of ideas then form your own :)

  • 9 years ago

    The lantern is 13 and a bit over in this last case... more rectangle vs. tall is all......

  • 9 years ago

    sorry if I put a fly in the ointment so to speak..... yet, it helps you in some way I hope in the long run.

  • 9 years ago

    Not at all Porter. I appreciate your advice and like the idea of keeping things open. The pendants are brushed nickel so they are matte.

    What do you mean by "The lantern is 13 and a bit over in this last case... more rectangle vs. tall is all......?"

    If I did go with the Darlana what size would you recommend? The table is 42"x60" and the ceiling height from the top of the table is 66"

  • 9 years ago

    Porter, I love the idea of something more see through but am having a hard time finding anything like it in the brushed or satin nickel.

    What does everything think of these? What are your favorite and which do you hate.

    1)

    9.75 high & 25 wide (black outer and polished nickel inner)

    2)

    9.75'' H x 37.25'' W x 17'' D

    3)

    26 high & 21 wide (antique silver)

    4)

    20 1/4" wide x 13 1/2" high (antique gray)

    5)

    20"W x 25 1/2"H (antique silver)

    6)

    23.75'' H x 21'' W x 26.5'' D

    7)

    26'' H x 21'' W x 21'' D

    8)

    18'' W x 18'' D (it's a zinc or dark gray, maybe too dark?)

    9)

    23.5 high & 20 wide (wish it had glass around it)

    10)

    16'' H x 23'' W x 12.5'' D w/2 6" and 12" rods (not wide enough?)



  • 9 years ago

    The antique would be fine...... are you ok with bright shiny chrome as above.... if not would not be hard to find something spare and see through. Your pendants look to not have a high shine and a gray tone to the silver...

    Regardless, the metals don't need to match in polish yet should be cohesive. I don't favor the black myself.

    I prefer 4 and 5.... then 9

  • 9 years ago

    7 looks dated or as though one might grow tired of it IMO

  • 9 years ago

    https://www.themine.com/pendant-lights/innovations-lighting-213-large-glass-bell-3-light-island-light_g2525165.html


    I most prefer the rectangle lantern with the kitchen which is adjacent...above is another example however has 2 twelve inch down rods and 1 six inch down rod so would it hand low enough for the height of your ceiling. Nothing worse than a light hanging too high!

    https://www.gilt.com/brand/regina-andrew-design/product/1186201366-regina-andrew-design-camden-lantern?origin=partner_feed&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=GS:Affiliate&utm_content=7412067

    23" tall

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    7 was my least favorite so that's officially off the list.

    I would prefer something in a matte silver color like the pendants but I'm starting to open up my criteria as I'm desperate to finalize this purchase.

    Porter, I like that new option and I like the lantern but I'm thinking that a width of 16.24" might be too narrow for the table and too close to the size of the 13" pendants. Thought?

  • 9 years ago

    http://www.homeclick.com/z-lite-3000p-os-persis-5-light-pendant-in-old-silver/p-35845.aspx

    may be too wide... looking for your dining width and length now

  • 9 years ago

    I looked it up. It's 28." It's a little big. Love the finish. Kind of reminds me of a pumpkin though... hehe

  • 9 years ago

    http://www.delmarfans.com/educate/how-to-choose-chandelier-size/


    look this over.... I can't find the measures in all the posts for the table... I'd say 23" to 24" or so in diameter by looking at the table. However if oval or rectangle that changes a bit.

  • 9 years ago

    ha ha... soo funny! Never saw it that way, but I guess it kind of does....

  • 9 years ago

    Oh, sorry... very much disliked 1, 2, 3. Black on 1, 2 naw... the third was too busy....

    Do prefer an oval, square or rectangle as you have round pendants close by, but it's not a huge deal... it's just me and you need to be happy.

  • 9 years ago
    LOVE IT!!
  • 9 years ago

    Why do the pendants look more gray and not super shine? Wondering if they are high shine chrome or brushed with a more subtle gray metal...

    This is a more shiny silver tone.

    Sorry about the white showing (what I hate most) I had to crop it and well, the what background shows from copy/paste to crop :(

    I still prefer the rectangle lantern in antique silver...

    This seems to be something you would like though as it's not my home :)

  • 9 years ago

    you are keeping that dining set right???

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    The pendants are a brushed nickel. They are not a dark gray but also not super shiny. Somewhere in the middle. They are definitely matte but the bottom rim reflects light more, making it look shinier. They look darker in the pictures because of the lighting. Here is a close-up.

    Here's a zoomed in view of the pendants from the kitchen table

    Porter, the options you listed above are my finalists. I really like the look of the drum but am not sure whether to go with a shiny finish or a weathered look. What do you think would look best?

    Yeah, for now the table has to stay.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My husband and I have agreed to go with the lantern and we think the weathered zinc will flow better into the other open rooms which have a lot more wood and stone.

    Here is a mock up of the 20" wide, 25.5" high fixture with 10" of chain at the top. This leaves 30.5" from table top to bottom of light. Of course the real light is tapered but I approximated as best I could. Feels big but I think it will be OK since it is open. Thoughts?

  • 9 years ago

    Here's a mock up of what this one would like.

  • 9 years ago

    agree..... it will be fine..... I think it's an excellent choice. Not visually obtrusive, but also timeless and goes with any decor. I think you will be happy.

    Yes, as in agree due to the style if it's a bit large it would not bother me in the least say as a drum or chandelier with shades and such would as the visual impact would be a lot.

    The general rule for hanging dining room chandeliers is that the bottom of the fixture should hang between 30" and 36" from the tabletop assuming you have an 8' ceiling.

    Sometimes the style and size of the chandelier will also affect the height which you should hang it. If you have an elaborate chandelier that takes up a lot of visual space you might want to hang it a couple of inches higher than the standard height. Again, hold it up before committing to a height to make sure. Looks like you did the homework though and it's good... all I can say is not too high!!!

  • 9 years ago

    The second is a bit too high IMO... you all need to decide which scale you prefer.

    These are round tables naturally, but the second photo I sent you earlier showing similar pendants where the pendant is quite large... I think it looks very pretty.

    Did you check out the second pendant before you decide shown above?

    It has 4 sizes.... may be too tall... Darlana by visual comforts

    if not...

    to choose between the more rectangle lantern in the aged silver or the other lantern...



  • 9 years ago

    I sincerely feel you will be VERY happy with it and much more so than a stark white large shade in between two rooms...

    tlopez1214 thanked Porter Edun
  • 9 years ago

    The first lantern your husband and you chose is a great style with your other pendants!!

    tlopez1214 thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you, Porter and jansgirl. I placed an order for the first lantern. Not only did I like it more, it was 50% less with a coupon code for Bellacor. Hopefully it's just as beautiful in person. I'll post a picture after we have it hung.

    Porter, I didn't order the Darlana (although beautiful) because the dimensions it was available in made it appear longer and more narrow than the antique nickel. I think the thinness of the Darlana would have looked better in my kitchen if I had a round table or smaller square table.

  • 9 years ago

    great, you got a further discount! Just remember, it doesn't need to matchy match. It just needs to flow and be cohesive! I do think you will be happy and can't wait to see it!

    Should we paint the chairs after it comes and can see it? :)

  • 9 years ago

    save the chain, etc..... incase it's too high... I know it seems low at 33 or so, but I'd not go much higher..... the inspirations you show look like 40 or more? Yet, absolutely hard to tell in a photo... just be aware of it when you go to hang it.

    YEA for the discount!

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Jansgirl... I get caught up sometimes and get to be a fly in the ointment for some I attach too... I felt it was the best choice for them given the options and well, it's not my home, but felt it would be beautiful with their pretty new kitchen and light and spare on the eye! I'm glad in the end they chose it as there were many options myself and others offered up as options.

  • 9 years ago

    Will do! Next step will be to add the backsplash and paint the room. Then we'll be done and free of various workers walking in and out of our home.


  • 9 years ago

    Well, plus Porter, once we saw the full room view w/ the opening into the next room, the openness of the lantern is perfect.

    I see paint samples on the wall........do you think a slightly darker or lighter version of the wall color for the chairs?!!!

  • 9 years ago

    I have a bit of time to photoshop some light fixtures. Are there any specific ones you would like me to do? What are the dimensions of the box you put on the ceiling? When I add a light fixture on your photo, I have to guess how big I should place it. Knowing the size of the box, will give me a great point of reference.


  • 9 years ago

    Thank you, Suzanne, you are so sweet! I pulled the trigger on the taller lantern I posted so that's that. I appreciate the offer :-)

  • 9 years ago

    I wasn't sure Jansgirl, just felt it would tie in with the kitchen to paint... if it's not a family piece or something as such.... I thought a graphite as there seems to be a silver tone at the bottom of the front legs or an, "old white" ASCP with dark wax or black wax...

    She has a lot going on though... maybe? What would you do?

  • 9 years ago

    The first for sure!

    tlopez1214 thanked Andi
  • 9 years ago

    Porter, If it was my house I would get everything cleaned up after construction and the new light is hung and then I would stare at it for about a year before I could make a decision! I do like the idea of painting the chairs to make it lighter in that area and break up the matchy set.

    I was an antique dealer for 20 years. At the start, I was against painting heirlooms. But when I saw those sets going into storage, I realized I liked the idea of these pieces being USED and if paint did it...paint! (unless it's from the 1700s and is valuable!) How many pieces did I sell that had coats and coats of paint on them? LOTS!

    tlopez-is this a vintage set or new?

  • 9 years ago

    Agree Jansgirl... what a fun job you had!

    I repurpose a lot of old antiques with paint and use them to stage and have kept many. We have manage in our storage for staging and they are some fun pieces.

    I don't repurpose/paint, chalk paint or other those in great condition... only ones that have seen their, "day", if you will.

    tlopez's table looks antique, not sure the seats are leather or leather look so not certain the era and if it's something she or her husband would prefer not to paint :) was just thinking about it when I read a post today!

  • 9 years ago

    I'm enjoying this dialogue you girls are having!

    Jansgirl. It is fairly new. We purchased it about five years ago for a tiny apartment we used to live in. If it sounds better, *ahem* it's a precious 100-year family heirloom. Hehe.

    I have a friend who takes old furniture, like off the street, and really transforms them. Here are some of the things she's done on her own in her basement after her 3yo twins go to bed.



Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations