Software
Houzz Logo Print
lillie_hutton

Small Living Area

9 years ago

Hello! Having a bit of a struggle figuring out a set up - the front door opens up into the living area. I think once I get more pieces it'll help me arrange, but I'm not sure what to do:

1) couch facing front door, small media console next to front door (2 foot space before it cuts back), possibly square coffee table

2) couch facing window, long media console under window, rectangle coffee table in between, chair in corner

or is there another idea that'd work better? Struggling with this small space!

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago

    Of the two I prefer the second. As long as you tend to watch the telly after dark, assuming "media" includes TV. If like me, your media console is a place for other things (mine has a "bookshelf" stereo and the wifi printer with the shelves holding stacks of papers and labels), then being in front of the window will be inconsequential. Or if the blinds are light-blocking enough.

    That IS a small living area! Is it primary/only?

    My mom's small (but bigger than this one) living room also has the "front" door opening right into it, but she simply put a drop down desk right up against the door and uses the side/kitchen door (which even has a mudroom/laundry space) as her sole entry.

  • 9 years ago

    Both set ups are awkward, do you have a floor plan? Can the couch goes on the right of the front door? What's that area for?

  • 9 years ago
    Maybe something similar to layout in pic below. Tv on console so you can swivel it. Furniture will need to be streamlined, bucket chairs in front of window
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It's not the kitchen in the bottom left - just boxes I hadn't moved yet!! There is hallway that goes to the bathroom right next to those boxes in the first pic from my original post. The kitchen is behind where I was standing. Here is a pic of that.

    I cant really put the couch against the wall by the door because it's 2'2" wide then cuts in 8 inches and is then 4'9" to the bedroom door. Unless maybe I put a narrow table behind the gap...but still don't think that'd be the best spot for the couch

    Definitely a small space - my 1st solo apartment so I wasn't incredibly picky choosing a place, but I still want it set up as best I can!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Are you dead-set on the sofa? Do you have even a small budget to go shop consignment places? Because if I were you, I'd get four adult sized, but slim chairs, oriented around a coffee table, and call it good. Put some light, color, interest and air in the room, still provide seating.

    Don't get me wrong- sofa's cool. I keep wondering, though, if that's you major design problem. I've done it before- "I've got to have this piece", and then banged my head around the idea of how to work around the piece (not precious) and forgetting to think about the room.

  • 9 years ago

    hmm...I Iike the sofa for guest purposes (I'd like to host couch-surfers/travelers passing through), but that's something to consider if I can't make it work at all

  • 9 years ago


    I'm thinking an arrangement similar to one of these might work - except in the 2nd example I think I'd still want a coffee travel in the middle, if space allows

  • 9 years ago

    I see a problem putting the couch or even a solid cabinet against any of the walls and that is the baseboard heat! Unlikely to start a fire, most bbheat runs cool enough to touch, but you'll want for the heat to circulate, and the space is encroached on. So even a 8" CD/media shelf in that niche between front door and bedroom, is going to have to sit out into the path.

    Continuing to think outside the box, like Juanita started, shallow wall shelf(ves) are going to work better on that wall, or maybe a hanging curio cabinet and/or some wallhooks. Oops, except I'm now thinking you are renting and probably have to be careful with not damaging the walls!

    I'm thinking if you love the sofa, or need to keep it at least until you find chairs and can afford them after the moving expenses (!) -- Place the couch as a room divider (arrangement 2). Live with it awhile and think about your lifestyle -- do you like to stretch out on the couch? (That's a factor my mom will NOT give up hers!) How many friends are ever visiting at once (if any!)? How are the traffic patterns?

    Just throwing this out -- if you are comfort-oriented when you are alone at home -- make one of the chairs (or replace the one you have) with a wall-hugging recliner. Here's one that looks very nicely with the current sofa!


    Navy Blue Cotton Upholstered Club Chair Push Back Recliner · More Info
    We were able to get a recliner into my mom's smallish living room without her giving up her loveseat!

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks, all clear now. Rather than coffee table what about a modern take on a nest of tables. Some round brass and glass style that would take less room esp if you want to clear the space out for visitors and you can move them round near where people are sitting. I have smaller living room with multiple doors/windows just where i don't want them.
    In pic one can you have the couch more toward where the boxes are and chair over near windows? Media console in the cut back wall? Maybe TV on a swing arm. Having media near windows seems a bit awkward if you want to open the blinds plus the glare.

    I was wondering what the things on the floor where, assumed some sort of heating. Not something we need to worry about in Oz! Media console may need to be more of a narrow table height shelf arrangement.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I am not an angle sofa fan, but I think you should try it…where the little chair is in this picture of yours.


    Shingle Style Waterfront · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the ideas!

    flannel flower, I tried out moving the couch over more (where the boxes were) and I think that works better. Nested tables are a good idea...I'm looking some up to see what I think of them.

    A swing arm crossed my mind too for the tv...might do that.

    Will test some of this out and see how it works :)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County