Software
Houzz Logo Print
tazena

Ashfield Schist - Calling Karin_MT and current owners

9 years ago

My husband and I have fallen in love with Ashfield Schist - Galaxy. However, it's not widely used so not much information can be found about it. It's locally quarried which really appeals to us. Has anyone installed it and could you tell me how it is holding up to the abuses of a kitchen?? We are definitely NOT marble people. It would never withstand us - LOL.

Karin - Love your geology series! Do you know anything about schist in the kitchen? Here is a link to the website:
http://www.ashfieldstone.com/stone-types/galaxy/

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago

    Wow - that's gorgeous!!!!


  • 9 years ago

    In person it is even more so. It has this weird 3d effect when you look at it close. My husband saw that and that was all it took. *smile*

  • 9 years ago

    I looked at the other schists too and wow, that crow's feet schist. The one you picked is stunning.

  • 9 years ago

    That's amazing and so unique! I love the one that looks like wind blowing across water. Can't wait to hear Karins expert info.

  • 9 years ago

    Where the heck can I find this??? You people are going to bankrupt me. And yet, I love you for it.

  • 9 years ago

    This stone is quarried in Massachusetts near Shelburne Falls. It's only quarried there.

  • 9 years ago

    All Natural Stone in the SF Bay Area is carrying this stuff too, or something quite similar. Pretty.

  • 9 years ago

    I found someone local - might just take a look at it today. WOW....


  • 9 years ago

    The crowsfeet is really pretty in person but it is just a bit too busy for my small kitchen.

  • 9 years ago

    Oooh, that is a beauty.

    Schist can be a problem when the mica pieces are large, because they will flake off and they are weak, in general. But this stone is fine-grained, so I don't think it would be a problem. I would look at pieces that are already installed and look at the corners and edges in particular. Are they smooth or can you see any evidence of anything flaking off?


    Also look at the overall surface. How smooth is it? Any evidence of flaking or pitting?


    When you select a slab and do your templating, watch out for areas with all mica and/or larger grains of mica.


    Overall, I'd give it a green light, so long as it looks okay when you give it an up-close inspection.


    I love their gallery of outdoor uses of the stone. Those stone steps are downright lusty!


    tazena thanked karin_mt
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    These are pictures of the samples. They are all Galaxy. The top though has little garnets in it. The middle is a satin finish and the bottom is semi-gloss.

    The mica is striated and smallish.


  • 9 years ago

    This a closer photo of the garnet Galaxy in semi gloss

  • 9 years ago


    This is the Galaxy semi-gloss.

  • 9 years ago

    That is so pretty.

  • 9 years ago

    Just a general shout-out: When you ask someone for advice, and they give it to you, don't forget to say thank you. That's one way to help people feel appreciated and keep them involved in the community.

    Thank you!

    Karin

  • 8 years ago
    Karin - thank you for sharing your knowledge!
  • 2 years ago

    Would love to hear from anyone who has installed Ashfield Stone or other schist with respect to how it's holding up. I'm also in Massachusetts and considering this stone (though I haven't yet seen it in person). Thanks in advance.