Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_corby

Should I be concerned about this Hardwood Install?

6 years ago
Had new white oak planks put into our master. The floors haven't been sanded yet, but there seem to be a lot of nail holes and gaps in the planks. Contractor says nothing looks wrong to him... but obsession over small details is finding it hard to ignore these imperfections...

Anyone with experience know if these imperfections are usually worked out during sanding and finishing... or should I be concerned about this?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    6 years ago

I have concerns to. Stop the installer and ask for a real wood flooring professional to come in and have a look. There are several issues I can see - the nails being the LEAST of my concerns.

Where did you source the wood? Is it MEANT to be face nailed? Or is it tongue and groove? And where did you find the installer? Is s/he a flooring PROFESSIONAL or "Chuck in a Truck" type of 'handy person'?

Floor registers go in LAST BTW.

• 6 years ago
    Thanks for your response!

This was done by a flooring professional that came highly recommended by both our architect and our contractor.

They assure me it will look flawless once completed, but I just can't see past the imperfections now. They say in tight areas (mostly corners) where the nailer can't be used at an angle it is normal to face nail the boards.

On one hand I could trust them that when all Ali's said and done, it will look great. But on the other hand, a lot of time is lost if It doesn't look great if we have to have them correct it.

Both our contractor and architect are telling me to just "chill out" and trust that it will look great once finished. I'm finding that hard to do.
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    Milling on site finished isn't perfect. I do see a bit of a sloppy install but if your pro is good he should be able to make it look good. Btw gc' and architects rarely know 'the best pros' cause that cuts into their profits I'm afraid. Real craftsmen work directly for the homeowner imo.
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    You appear to only have face nailing along the edge where it's unavoidable. The minor gaps at joints is common and all will be filled prior to finish. The only thing that looks sloppy to me is the wonky board by the register...