Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_36014959

I think this is a passion vine...

User
6 years ago

I found out I needed two types to pollinate so I bought some seeds and this came up. It's still very young but can someone verify?

Comments (16)

• LCOP
    6 years ago

looks like a young P. Edulis

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! that's what it is supposed to be.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Planted and growing strong, might get a few flowers this fall:)

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nov 8 17 One of the shoots staring to climb up the pvc pipe.

• User
    6 years ago

They are pretty crazy climbers!

• emmettb_gw
    6 years ago

If you want a passiflora for pollination get p.caerulea.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I started off with that one. It's the most common one to find. So I needed a second which is Yellow edulis. They both do very well over the winter.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The extreme cold killed it this winter but here is another one I received last year. It will go in the ground first week of March.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

I don't have a greenhouse, and I just have the variety that is zone 6a hardy, I planted it from a seed packette from Lowes, so am I doomed to having no fruit unless I can grow another variety that may be to tender to grow outdoors in ground in zone 6a Pa?

• poaky1
    5 years ago

I've tried to put up some cheap greenhouses for many years, but, they all blow apart each winter, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money to have a reallty expensive and quality greenhouse.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

I think the Passiflora that I've grown just 2 plants, they were from seed, maybe if they are a non-hybrid type, I could get fruit? Am I wrong?

• User
    5 years ago

Did the seeds give you any info on what type of passionfruit they were? Some passionfruit plants can give limited fruit if another variety (like Frederick) is around and the bees pollinate it.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

I just know they were the hardiest kind, zone 6, most likely a species vine, I may have a packet from the seeds still, but, I'll have to look for it when it's daylight, we have a mama and 2 baby black bears seen a couple homes down from me (rural) so I'll be only going outside in the daylight. I will have to look around in our shed. I am thinking I won't get ripe fruits since I am in zone 6a. I had seen them in Williamsburg, Va they had a vine trained in a fancy way, and they didn't have any fruits yet in October, that I could see anyway. So, it will likely be an issue of hardiness, not really the type of Passiflora. I'm really thinking no fruit for me. Thanks Baconeater, I will try and find the seed packet, though.

• User
    5 years ago

Well they certainly love sun. How big are your plants and have you seen any flowers?

• poaky1
    5 years ago

If you are talking to me, I have just 2 little vines about 3 feet tall in small pots still, no flowers, I will be planting them (well, at least 1 of em) in the ground in fall, that way, I plant just 1 and if it dies, I still have 1 left, I'll keep it in my basement, about 62 F all winter. I had sown seed last year in ground, but, nothing came up.

Sponsored