Software
Houzz Logo Print
debragoerner

Update the exterior of this 1950's ranch

9 years ago

We have just finished completely renovating the interior of this 4 bedroom ranch. Opening all the walls, creating beautiful spaces inside, and now I am ready to tackle the exterior of our summer home. My kids took out all the landscaping after this house sat vacant for 3 years! (except for burning bush that was healthy) and the roof is also relatively new. I am not really interested in too much landscape work but I do intend to add a stone path. The front door will stay white after refinishing. My husband is keen to add a faux stone entry (perhaps across the whole front??) I am not sold on the idea and



I prefer wood (but because of cost it will just be the front, I'm not replacing the new-ish siding around the sides) but I also wanted to change out the white beam for a faux wood beam and I also plan to acid stain the concrete. What would you suggest??

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago

    The deck idea is lovely and adds a whimsy to make this look like a vacay house....I am trying to get hubs to put a deck on our front Ranch and add a tall pot recirculating waterfall...hopefully next summer.....love the deck idea and much easier to walk on than bumpy uneven stone. Wood is soft of bare feet.

  • 9 years ago

    Update porch lights, house # and mailbox. No to faux stone. No to a white front door.

    If this is a second home, make it as maintenance easy as possible. Plantings that don't require lots of pruning, trimming, clean up. In fact, just put big pots of geraniums here and there on the deck. Make it as large as possible to cut down on the amount you have to mow.

  • 9 years ago

    Wow, so many great ideas I never thought of, and in the same price range as the faux stone (that I didn't really like anyway!) I unfortunately can't change the garage door, there is no house access. You have shed light on this project..... I will update.

  • 9 years ago

    The reason I asked about the door is because it may be in the way of a slightly raised deck. However, if you can keep it low and not bother the threshold it may work. otherwise, might have to extend the concrete and stain.

  • 9 years ago

    I will either have the door raised or ask the profile to be kept low. I liked the idea of a wood porch because it brings in the wood I want without drawing attention to the fact that it is a small recessed space.

    I'm going to remove the shutters from the far left window (hard to see before I trim the burning bush). Since the front door was vetoed white.... What should I paint it? It has to be refinished anyway and if the deck is wood and the beam is wood; is more wood overkill? Keep in mind I am a very eclectic person so I don't need things to match. Thoughts about how that will all tie in with the garage doors and window casings?? Thanks again!

  • 9 years ago

    House is cute so I would not remuddle it. I'd go darker on the front of the house and add new lighting.

    I think the burning bush needs to go too.

    I would not add a deck to a house built on a slab as yours seems to be. Instead I would cover concrete with outdoor flooring.

    When you build the path do not make the usual mistake of building too close to the house. I show the face of the house a bit darker.
    I vote strongly no on adding stone to the house.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    spending money on the stone facade doesnt solve any existing problems. spending money to increase the area of your entrance patio, whatever shape or form, increases enjoyment and curb appeal.

    and hanging out in the front is a great way to meet neighbors.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    the bush may be healthy, but it still needs to be pruned. looks messy.

    here is a house front similar to yours . the wood pillars are a nice touch. obviously forgo the shutters. notice the flower beds and brickwork.

    again,,,same porch. notice flower beds. they did wood siding on the porch/front area, modern door, black trim work around windows.

  • 9 years ago

    Paito is a win, figuring it out is next, then once that is settled move to landscape, and then pick the door color. I would just mute down the garage door closer to the house color.

  • 9 years ago

    make sure we see all the updates lol

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Paint the house white; extend the little patio out further into the yard (taking place of extensive landscaping and keep it going for the walkway.

    All white! All White!


    Glen Oaks · More Info

    Burning bush, great in the Fall, but they are invasive and on our Cape Cod “you may not plant” list.

  • 9 years ago

    If you paint the garage door to match house color, paint the utility door the same color. The colonial lights should be changed. I like the idea to extend the porch into a patio. If you used large square pavers, they could be stepped over to the drive with areas for plants along the edges.

  • 9 years ago

    about the carriage lights, put them last on the list, until the patio is thought out, im tempted to tell you to only have one here rather than two.

  • 9 years ago

    Burning bush is an invasive plant, so if you aren't totally thrilled with it, rip it out. It's not as bad as some bushes, but it definitely is spreading to forest preserves and shading out the native plants.

  • 9 years ago

    I wish I could make it all white! It definitely won't fit in with the surrounding homes and the interior is more white/boho because I end up adding so many eclectic pieces.

    I am meeting with a few landscapers/deck guys and I will update as I get some ideas in this patio direction. I really love it.

    PS-im taking out the burning bush immediately and the shutters, I didn't realize they were so annoying. They do grow out of control quick!

  • 9 years ago

    so excited to hear the update!