Software
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_pangelinan

Help I don't think I love my new bed

I really wanted an upholstered tufted bed. This was my bday gift. After assembled I just didn't fall in love with it.
Maybe it was too many changes at once....
I used to own a low bed and at first I hated my husband's extra high bed, but now I am like, is it too low???
Opinions and advise please!!!

Comments (42)

  • 9 years ago
    Ps that cheap blanket at the bottom is because one of our dogs (penny the boxer) sleeps with us...not pictured is our mastiff's large black crate that is at the end of our bed.
  • 9 years ago
    Hi, I think the upholstery looks nice. I think you will love it with a few simple changes to your room. Maybe a lighter wall color, new bed linens and lower the wall decor so there's not as much of a gap between them and the top of your headboard.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you I will head over to Ross now to change the linens and comforter to neutrals/ whites
  • 9 years ago
    Lowered the wall hangings....better or is there a rule of thumb to how many inches it should be from the top of the bed frame?
  • 9 years ago
    I think it looks better, it looks like a good balance between the bed and the ceiling. I think the rule of thumb for hanging pictures/decor is that the center should be about 60 inches from the floor. But in this case, I think there's more leeway.

    In either case, it does make a difference and it looks good!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I love your new headboard. I think I would try to lighten up the other furniture in the room, maybe paint the dressers white or gray. And definitely splurge on some beautiful new bedding and sheets. Nothing feels better than getting into a fluffy, pretty bed.

  • 9 years ago
    Buy this?
    As far as lightening up the furniture, this bedroom set was my mom's and I am afraid to ruin it
  • 9 years ago
    Update?
  • 9 years ago
    looks good with the new bedding :)
  • 9 years ago
    Or should I buy a higher sitting bed with a taller headboard
  • 9 years ago

    I would change the wall color in this room. The light pink is getting washed out against the neutral wall. Plus the other furniture looks dated. I would add some mirrored night stands and some modern lamps and you will have a Hollywood makeover :)

  • 9 years ago
    @apsolover what pink? Did you see the updated picture? What color would you paint the wall? Like the beigeish grey?
    This was my mother's furniture...real wood...I am so afraid to get something that feels fake
  • 9 years ago

    The headboard looks pink to me on my screen. I understand your feeling about your mom's furniture. If possible, I would rehome it to a different room. If not you can paint it and put more modern hardware on it. I like color so would go with some dark blue / turquoise for the bedspread and/or add some color to the walls using pictures. A couple of modern lamps on the updated nightstands. A gray color wall might work. You will have to try a few different shades to see what works for you.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The new bed looks fantastic! I would change the color of the walls! That way the headboard would stand out a little a better. Not quite sure about the comforter in the last pic. Some color would be nice on the bedspread!

  • 9 years ago
    @steckicontruction what color walls are you thinking?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The new bed looks really nice, I do agree with everyone else that if you changed the wall color it'd probably look much better.

  • 9 years ago
    I think I am actually going to buy this one because of the mattress height is allows...I have a large dog so I want it to sit much higher than him.
  • 9 years ago

    Something like this?

  • 9 years ago
    Tallness? Or bedding or wall color apsolover?
    I definitely don't like that bedding color
  • 9 years ago
    I would paint the walls a lighter color and buy a new colorful bedding set.
  • 9 years ago

    Height and wall color. Also, an example of how you could make your mom's furniture work with this bed

  • 9 years ago
    I'm trying to get my room to look a little more Goddy
  • 9 years ago
    Or I am trying to reach this
  • 9 years ago
    I decided to just buy different headboard that was taller and a lighter color, to make that contrast with that wall color I have (it's not easy repainting an extra tall wall)
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Looks great!

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you @sound painting solutions
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Taller headboard looks good.

  • 9 years ago
    @joemelindashafer can you send a pic of an art suggestion?
  • 9 years ago
    Added matching lamps on each side to add symmetry.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would lighten up the walls (perhaps pull a light blue or light neutral shade from the comforter?). I might also think about pulling in glass, crystal, lush faux fur, or mirrored elements into the room based on the inspiration photos you provided. Since you have to work with your existing furniture you could do this by changing out the ceiling fixture, the artwork or the bedside lamps for something a bit more in line with your inspiration images. Try searching "hollywood regency" or "victorian" products on Houzz and see if that yields some elements in line with your vision. Good luck with your project!

  • 9 years ago
    @laura Lee designs
    I definitely wish I could do a fancy chandelier, but my husband always uses the fan... but as I'm looking at the fan I'm definitely going to take off his Harley Davidson little hanging piece lmao
  • 9 years ago
    The height and color of the new headboard are a big improvement. Another step you can take is taller lamps. Look at your inspiration photos. Every lamp is at least as tall as the headboard. While yours match now, they are just way too small for the room. They need to be much much taller.

    I'm wondering how far you are really willing to go to achieve the look you want. Honestly your wall color will remain a challenge if you keep it. It's instantly dating the room. And the light fixture and furniture also do not align with your desired look (although the furniture could with a coat of paint). That's fine of course, but it will require you to accept that the room will never really look much like your inspiration photos. Wall color, furniture, and ceiling light fixture are just too dominant - a headboard and bedding alone will never achieve what you want. Without changing probably at least two of those three major elements I think you can spend all the time and money in the world on accessories and still not achieve your goal. I'm really not trying to be mean, just honest :). If you're willing to paint the furniture and the walls, I think you can get there (despite the fan). But otherwise I'd stop spending money and enjoy what you have.
  • 9 years ago
    @iwfromny
    I am working on finding taller lamps.

    The wall color is neutral, and my inspiration photos do have similar color.

    I know that the inspiration photos have lighter white to metallic, but the dark wood pieces I have also match a beautiful pottery barn dresser that is also in the room
  • 9 years ago

    Definitely taller and more modern lamps. If you dont want to change your nightstands, you could change the hardware on them to update them. The gold/bronze is dated. And maybe a mirrored accent bench at the foot of the bed.

  • 9 years ago

    Also, you could put in a fan with a pretty light kit attached to it.

  • 9 years ago
    Love the chandelier Idea, they are in my Amazon cart.
    July 10th was my birthday and a bedroom makeover was a birthday Gift to myself. I went to tj Maxx and bought matching flowers to add more symmetry. I also bought two down comforters and a new duvet for when this gets dirty (One of my dog sleeps on the bed the other sleeps at the end of the bed in a crate which I moved away for the photo ) And the extra full bedskirt I ordered came in.
    I will look for large mirrored the core to put above each side of the lamp...
    I'll also be adding more throw pillows.
    I don't need it to be exactly like my inspiration photos what I wanted was a more romantic feel, and I think I have accomplish that by going with neutral bedding and a cozy looking headboard and more symmetry. Of course again the chandelier would do more I just have to convince my husband of letting go of the fan lol
    And in the near future I will perfect my dressers remove the scuff marks and change the hardware. But for now I think it's a huge improvement.
  • 9 years ago
    Love the ideas of this thread. I am putting myself out there to add that maybe pull off the small bland brown items above the bed, and the other small owl and brown accents. Refer to the image of the brighter botanicals someone added that might pick up some color accents. Or bolder mix of accent pillows to tie in some color. Just say in'
  • 9 years ago
    @agardenerdesign so it's funny all the splash of color is on the other side of my room
  • 9 years ago
    @agardenerdesign but I do want to get rid of that I will and replace it with a couples photo on canvas... i'm hoping to get the perfect picture sometime this year so far we do not have it
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Carmen, you're definitely pulling the desired look together with the new headboard and linens. May I suggest an area rug that encompasses the night stands. If the rug had colors from your rich brown furnishings as well as the headboard it could marry them harmoniously. And lamps with glam and height on the night stands would make a statement for romance too. And lastly I'll say that elegant simplicity is about editing. You'll feel peaceful and able to focus on each other with cleaned off surfaces on the dressers: stow all you can in the drawers and find baskets for the rest. Then you can add glam simply with a sparkling art piece like a wire tree with crystal-teardrops (that would make an awesome three object arrangement by the owl/plaque). Thanks for sharing your journey and best wishes going forward.
  • 6 years ago

    I think your big problem is the color. The wooden bed stood out and looked great, but it also was not almost the same color as the wall. You have a cream colored headboard with a beige wall, so you think you don't like it at all when it is probably just a matter of there not being enough to make it pop the way the dark colored bed did. I would paint the top part of the wall a color that offers more contrast, you have blue in your bedding, go with one of those shades keep ing the bottom part of the wall white is fine.