Software
Houzz Logo Print
isamari

selling a house

9 years ago

I am thinking of selling my house, should I paint the interior a neutral color?

Comments (20)

  • 9 years ago

    Duh. Of course.

  • 9 years ago

    I think it depends upon your market.

    In my market unless the colors are absolutely obnoxious, it doesn't matter so much, really.

    And actually I sold one house here with a pale pink ceiling in the great room and a second one with a black stair hall and both of the next owners kept those paint colors and one of them sold again with those paint colors. In contrast, the house I bought was repainted neutrally for resale, and I hated it, and the people who rented the house from me for two year hated it. It was neutral but it was an awful neutral.

    Personally I think neutralizing for resale, is to some extent overstated. If you can paint yourself and do a good job, and not spend a ton of money, and it will help in your market, go ahead. If you would spend $10,000 painting the entire interior of a medium sized house professionally and you don't think you'd get a return on it either in purchase price or in savings on extra mortgage payments, I am not sure I would bother. You have to ask your Realtor and analyze the cost-benefit analysis of doing so.

  • 9 years ago

    Depends on what your current interior looks like. Most people I know that have recently moved (including myself) have painted the entire interior prior to moving into the new home. This is not because what was there was bad, I (and others) just wanted the colors I wanted. As long as what you have does not present itself badly or look terribly dated, save your money especially if you are in a strong enough market. Ask your realtor but be aware most will tell you to paint as this makes their job easier so be your own judge.

  • 9 years ago

    Post some pictures.

  • 9 years ago

    HI -- One trick that has always worked and is actually a selling point is to paint all the walls with a white primer . When selling then saying it is primed and ready for the buyers to paint their own colors always helps as a selling feature . And it also makes it look fresh and clean and new .

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The most awfully painted house I saw was sold pretty fast, because it was in a nice neighborhood, had a big private backyard, and a saltwater pool.

    (my DH kinda wanted this one. Paint wouldn't stop me even though in this case would be several K of repainting just their living; but they also had very awkward bath, with a little hope of reconfiguring it, and were a bit too far into the neighborhood-less walking distance..and I didn't like the exterior. I actively disliked it. Well as it sold fast, that awful paint obviously didn't stop others either)

    As for the color vs neutral..that's what I'll say: within any color there is a range of shades..and some will be actually preferable to badly considered so called neutrals. Depends on where the house is too, the light it gets, etc.

    Say our walls were yellow (but not bright yellow) downstairs, and it was a lot of yellow, because very high ceilings and all..yet there wasn't one negative comment about it from buyers.

    We had these big windows, and plentiful sunshine..if it was painted white for example, one would need sunglasses inside the house.

    We also bought it like that and didn't even think to repaint..I worked around it and loved it too. Even though if you ask me what's my favorite color-it'd be all rainbow but yellow.

    we did repaint bedrooms upstairs after we moved in, to deeper colors(I found their neutrals fairly depressing. even though I'm fan of many other neutrals.) and didn't hear any negative comments on them either.

    Folks were busy with other concerns, more permanent ones..like it's too close to the pool, or how much is HOA, etc.

  • 9 years ago

    I've sold two houses. Wall color was never a factor in the sale to my knowledge.

    I was told by several agents I needed to repaint and install new carpeting. Both times the buyer stated one reason they bought those houses was the fact they could paint and carpet in their own style.

  • 9 years ago

    As a potential buyer, I can look right past bad color choices.

  • 9 years ago

    Most buyer's don't have the ability to see beyond bad color choices. The people here on houzz don't represent most buyers as many are very creative here (lots of vision). Especially today. Many of the buyers looking in my area have no vision at all. Fresh paint is easily the most cost effective thing to do and get back more than what you spent.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Having said the above^^, you don't have to go "Realtor beige" at all. Whites, gray's, even some blue's work. What colors do you have now? Post some pics please.

  • 9 years ago

    I'd ask a realtor who works in your town alot. Its so location specific. (E.g., where I live it would cost well over $10k to paint the interior (and cause delay to listing b/c workers are all so busy). The market is so strong here, with so few homes for sale, it makes no difference. And many buyers are gutting the homes to the studs (basement through to attic) - even homes renovated as recently as 10 years ago (granite counters, wood cabinets even - gone).

    But I'm sure in a few years the market will turn here, and then things like this will matter.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I wouldn’t worry about paint colors at this point (unless the walls are stained).

    Put the house on the market in its best present condition. Weed out the stuff a buyer does not want to see…remove anything personal…like photos on the ‘fridge or a collage of family outings hanging in the hall, graduation pictures…anything which makes the house yours and not theirs.

    Down the road, if you get a good offer, but it is hanging on paint colors, you can negotiate at that point.

    You can’t pick a neutral for someone else. We each have our own favorites.

  • 9 years ago
    It definitely helps to depersonalize,de-clutter and neutralize (and price it right) so potential buyers can envision their furnishings in the space.

    Or you can go with the "pro" advice from Sophie. "Duh". Super helpful gal, aren't you?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    All Realtors will recommend painting your home a neutral color. If you have concerns about your paint choices call your Realtor and get their opinion, they will be able to guide you as to the best way to get your home ready to sell. Good luck!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My realtor didn't recommend repainting.

    we don't know what color choices the OP made beforehand, and whether they are good or bad.

    Asking somebody who has seen the place in question is always nice though.

    Another option-the OP can post some photos of his space here, and get a lot of opinions, no doubt)) A realtor would be better to ask..sometimes..but if the OP is just in the thinking stage he might as well post pics here. Thinking stage can take years, the OP can have lots of time, and doesn't need immediate decision.

  • 9 years ago

    Heh, Sophie gives Sophie's advice - it is what it is. Some people get offended and others think "Meh", but one can always count on Sophie to be consistently blunt.

  • 9 years ago
    Consistently rude. I've noticed. Not impressed.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The last home I sold included two rooms and lobbies custom painted--three colours applied separately and then varnished--to match the antiquarian theme of honed stone floors, faux stone arches and character wood. The buyers made a point of asking us for the exact colour specs of all the rooms. Even asked to buy all our furniture!

    So, it depends.

  • 9 years ago

    worthy, that sounds like a spectacular custom paint job! It's no wonder the buyers wanted to know the specs (and asked for the furniture). You are the exception.

    Usually, when we Realtors suggest painting - there is a reason. Most common reason in my area is the walls are beat up with faded paint or extremely colorful like shown up thread. I showed a home yesterday that was a perfectly good home (bones good) and yet the walls are in terrible shape. Not one time since the home was built in 2008 has it been painted except with builder white - the cheap paint. It still has the chalky builder paint all over the walls. Same 10 year old builder carpet in awful shape. Yet the seller is asking top dollar. smh. This is when a good paint job pays off. Buyer was so turned off...