Software
Houzz Logo Print
flyblack44

Just bought cabin, great bones,needs design advice please!

9 years ago

Pictures still have current owners stuff. This place is awesome and overlooks a river. WHat would you do if it was yours? Blue carpet I will have to work with for a year or so till wood goes in. Deer antlers will go. Paint advice, furniture placement, etc. I was thinking of painting doors a steel grey and doing something with the plain color brick by stove. Bunk beds will stay plus any furniture we want. Drop cloths over couches for now? Thanks all for any help, I am so excited!! (open concept with catwalk above)

Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Beautiful site, lots of potential. Since it is a cabin, I wouldn't fight too much with the cabin-y look. Of course remove the clutter. I'd take down the pot rack and store the cookware out of sight. Remove the swag drape over the window, as well as the tiny little valance. Definitely delete the toilet rug (and close the toilet seat). Love the look of the stove. What style furniture do you plan to use?

    flyblack44 thanked flopsycat1
  • 9 years ago

    Love the kitchen. Is this Big Bear?

  • 9 years ago

    More photos...(most chairs will go and maybe couches if can't cover somehow)

  • 9 years ago

    The cat walk would scare me. Not good with heights and tend to have a few cocktails before bed.

  • 9 years ago

    Lol. Catwalk does not lead to bedroom. It goes to small outdoor balcony on opposite side . Upstairs bedroom is to back of cabin.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would try and stick with the rustic theme but with an updated design. Coverlets and blankets for texture, rugs and statement pieces to add to the character of the home. Above is an example of a neutral palette, however, you could add color to brighten the space as well. Contrasts of white and cream will pop against the wood texture. Great bones , so have fun designing and good luck with your project..

    flyblack44 thanked Jodie White Designs
  • 9 years ago

    There is a hidden staircase from the kitchen that goes to loft bedroom.

  • 9 years ago

    For furniture to first response probably rustic modern. clean lines. slipcovers if anyone knows to save $$ and cover couch?

  • 9 years ago

    Please post again as you go along.

  • 9 years ago

    Cute!!! I think I'd paint the front door red -- it would go with the wood and be very welcoming. And... I think the railing on the porch and the one on your balcony are crying for window boxes. Planters on either side of the front door would help to frame that, too.

    flyblack44 thanked coopermcboo
  • 9 years ago

    HI -- I would have to paint all the walls white and maybe the ceiling too. Maybe only keep the main beams the same color or darken or maybe paint them too. I would get rid of anything I didn't like and paint what I do like . Any and all little clutter things would go too. The flouncy window fabrics would be the first out the door . Very cute outside and great location . When ever we moved into a new place the first thing I always do is put in a new toilet .

  • 9 years ago

    I think for a cabin like this it would be totally fine to get ikea ektorp sofas and some Kilim/tribal rugs with some blue in them to pull in the color of the carpet.


    flyblack44 thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I like apple_pie_order's suggestion to pull everything out and edit. Put things back one at a time. Slipcovers are fine in a situation like this. Are you planning on keeping the knotty pine walls as is or do you want to paint them?

  • 9 years ago
    The beams, ceilings, solid wood walls are beautiful! Whatever you do, don't paint those! Incorporate those rustic features! You will have people say paint them. But I would imagine those were the beautiful features that you were drawn to when you walked in, now definitely keep those! You said you will replace the carpet with hardwood. That will be awesome! I would save up for new kitchen cabinets though...
  • 9 years ago

    Please don't put an upholstered chair back in the corner by the front door.

  • 9 years ago

    No chair back by front door! Thanks for input. Love idea of planters out by front door which i already have. Love the rugs! I will not paint as this is a cabin/ camp and i love the wood.Yes the window curtain will go. Still need advise on what color to paint by the stove brick that is white. should i try to match the brick red that is there? Truey where did you find that top rug. love it. Thanks again all, have a great day

  • 9 years ago

    What colors do you want to work with as far as slipcovers, etc? Do you want to slipcover both sofas?

  • 9 years ago

    I would say a neutral probably cream. I would want to do both the same color.

  • 9 years ago

    I am just about to close on a small home that whose interior is similar - all wood. My intention is to make it fresher and lighter by painting the ceiling between the beams white. A brighter white to catch and reflect light from windows. In the kitchen area of my home (which is open floor plan with the kitchen defined with a half wall holding lower cabinets and the cook top.} there are no upper cabinets which is fine with me....no lines of clutter or hidden storage for "stuff" not really needed. I will choose a color like Sherwin-Williams "Reflection" to have made into a stain and paint the kitchen walls preserving the knots bleeding through, but again, giving some lightness to the great room

    I could almost guarantee that with as much wood as your cabin has that under the carpet are nice wood floors maybe needing only a sanding and new finish....I would get rid of the carpet NOW....anything you try to do with that carpet in place will only influence what you decide for your furniture and may not be what you ultimately want.

    Love the idea of taking everything out to the yard....bring back only what you absolutely LOVE, and sell/donate the rest - immediately.

    How about getting rid of that outdated reddish tile near the stove. The stove is a stunner and whatever that other contraption is next to it needs to be replaced - is it a heater of sorts? If so, there are efficient, smaller corner units which can be used with much less tile to keep it safe....which would not detract from the kitchen stove.

    Enjoy your new place. Can't wait to get started on mine which if there were a downside to owning, is that it is 2500 miles away from where I live!



  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for your comment. we plan on just getting it really cleaned up now. In the Spring we will think about floors. For now I will keep colors in mind that i will want in the long run. Husband would do the floors . i don't want to overwhelm him right away! There was a cool stove in that corner before, they took it out and put that ugly thing there. Thanks for your advice and good luck in your new place.



  • 9 years ago

    I think black and gray-green accents would look nice with your wood tone, and you could add other colors with whatever personal items you acquire. Fresh greenery always improves a space.

    There are more photos of this cabin here:

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/log-homes-and-cabins-coventry-log-homes-the-bear-rock-rustic-dining-room-burlington-phvw-vp~6476203

    flyblack44 thanked Kim