Software
Houzz Logo Print
karen_marshall94

HELP: How to Decorate Orange Wall

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I decided to be daring and go with a bright orange accent wall with grey. I am second guessing my decision because I find the floors (Maple) look more muted with the grey and I'm not sure what colour the furniture that goes alongside the orange wall should be.

I am thinking of getting a light grey sectional sofa but what would I accent the pillows with (open to other suggestions)? I also want to put a desk along that wall and originally thought it would be white but now I am unsure... HELP!!!

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here are some inspirational photos using orange.

  • 9 years ago
    LOVE this wall - I'm a huge fan of orange. I had originally planned to use orange in my office, but once my whole house color scheme was worked out I realized it wasn't going to work out. So now I just have orange accents in there instead to satisfy my orange cravings. Here is the desk I bought to use in there. If you don't need a desk with storage it's a gorgeous look and makes the room seem very open and not as cluttered as a solid desk does. This is from Pottery Barn and they no longer carry this one. They do sell it with metal (silver) legs. Either way this is a concept I think would look great in there.

    Good for you for going for it - you're headed on a great direction!
  • 9 years ago

    visualizemaven Thank you for the reassurance! I would love to put a white couch in there but I have Maltese and I don't know how I would ever keep it clean lol

    BeverlyFLADeziner Thank you, those all look great but they use orange as an accent only so I'm still a little lost on what to do with the couch against a completely orange wall.

    lwfromny An orange accent is great for an office! I work from home so I wanted it to really boost my creativity. I will take a look at those desks, it really does look beautiful. I also have lots of plants I can use to accent.

  • 9 years ago

    Orange - Gray and Blue work well together.

  • 9 years ago
    Karen I'm hesitant to say this because I don't know if another color is what you want, but how about a navy? Or I do think that you are right about a gray - that would be great also.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sure add navy if you want the room to look like a sports team sports bar

  • 9 years ago
    lol excellent point Beverly. Never thought of that!
  • 9 years ago
    OMG! So jealous right now!!! You did pick a fantastic shade! I wish my DH would be willing to let me go orange! Don't fogey that when you put up pictures, mirrors, etc you will cover wall space. So you could have a large painting/print with say a 2-3in mat border and then the frame. If the painting is mostly lighter tones then you will "lighten" up the wall. A big piece of art could take up 7 sq ft easy! Then consider a lamp and it's lampshade will also take up another spot, a plant, etc...not to mention the desk or couch. I think it will look great! Then just put some small orange items on the opposite wall to unify the space. Did I say I was jealous?!?!?
  • 9 years ago

    I think slate blue looks nice with orange.


    This woven pillow from World Market gives other colors to play off of.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    P and Lambert's blue slate [but called Florida Gold.... orange fruit perhaps...?]

    JAS Design-Build: Bathrooms · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Some blue could be fab... depends what you find....

    Contemporary Family Room · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I forgot to add this Sour Cream pillow from Target. I have this one and believe it would work in any room. It's a good size and is great for laying your head on, too.

  • 9 years ago

    Go for a white couch that has a slipcover. I purposefully bought a white couch with my kids because I can bleach out any spots.

  • 9 years ago
    Your wall looks cool.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Rooms w/ orange walls and different overall ambiances. Tried to come close to your orange.

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    Some color palettes

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    (15) Pinterest · More Info

    I think orange may be the new neutral!!

    Karen Marshall thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love this pillow.

    Flicker Jewel 16.5" Throw Pillow · More Info
    Or this
    Covington Whimsy Multi-Color Paisley Print Decorative Pillow · More Info
    Neither of them commit you to a third color-they bring in several other options that you can use for accessories. Adding a gray sofa and a white desk are a good idea. You might want to add a little wood in side tables to keep some warmth in the space as well.

    Karen Marshall thanked katinparadise
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks guys. I will consider the white couch because I think it would brighten the place up but I don't like the look of slipcovers. It definitely needs to look modern. I also love the suggestion of adding a *hint* of blue, I think it could look good if done tastefully..

    Open to suggestions :)

  • 9 years ago

    Maybe metallics?


    Karen Marshall thanked Kim
  • 9 years ago

    White LeAThER sofa?

    Julie Leather Match Sofa, White · More Info


    Here's a white version of lwfrommy's Pottery Barn piece.

    Walker Edison 48" Glass Computer Desk · More Info



    Karen Marshall thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago

    If you don't want to go with leather, look for something done in Crypton or Sunbrella fabric. Both are easily cleaned and virtually indestructible. I have 2 chairs in Sunbrella and they are light aqua. I just use water to clean them off where my basset hound uses them to scratch his chin!

    Karen Marshall thanked katinparadise
  • 9 years ago

    I am actually loving it way more now (I guess it was a shock initially) and am really loving your suggestions. Thanks everybody!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I own this white couch from Bassett Furniture. It was very reasonably priced and I really love it. Have had it four years and it's holding up great. Not uber-modern but to me is a great neutral style that goes with almost anything else you would want.