Software
Houzz Logo Print
aceshaw

Need help decorating hallway

9 years ago

Hi guys,

I just finished painting my hallway "American White" by Benjamine Moore (it was a hideous yellowy white before). Now that my floors finally look more brown than orange I need suggestions on how I can keep it simple in terms or decorating the entrance. I wanted to go with a minimalistic approach but I'm afraid it would look too...sterile. Currently I'm on the hunt for a red afghan runner. Or perhaps a rug that's deep blue (haven't decided yet) and just place a floating shelf on the left wall with some art work.

I can't help to think that there are far better ideas that won't break the bank. I'd love some input!

My main confusion lies in colour - where to add it, what colour would best pop. Art work - how large/small. If I should add a console table instead of a floating shelf, would it look too crowded? Carpet - to keep it simple or find a pattern?


Don't worry, I'm changing the horrible ceiling mounts.


thanks for your time!

Comments (30)

  • 9 years ago

    If this is the entry hall, then I'd use the long wall for a narrow console table, which could ground a large piece of art and also be a drop zone for keys, mail, charging, or whatever. If you can get one with small drawers, they're great for out-the-door things like mittens and sunglasses.

    Orchid White Coastal Narrow Hall Stand/Sofa Table w/Shelf · More Info
    (The one above comes in a variety of colors.) If you can find just the right thing in a natural wood, it could help balance the whiteness et al.


    Rustic Reclaimed Barnwood Farmhouse Entry Table · More Info



    French Country Rochelle Narrow Curved Leg Console Table · More Info

    Console Table in Rustic Gray · More Info

    Storage Solid Wood Sofa Table in Chocolate Cherry · More Info

    aceshaw thanked acm
  • 9 years ago

    What do you see if you are coming in from the front door...any colors, furniture etc. You have room for a thin console..Do you like modern, rustic etc? Love Crespo's first design

  • 9 years ago

    I think a modern rug with the deep blue color you suggested would be fun in this tight space. A narrow console with a mirror above it would be plenty.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't see enough room in the entry for a console. Art is good and a runner, but if you put a floating shelf I think it will interfere with the door swing at the entry. If you move it further down the hallway, it has no connection to the entry -sort of stuck in the middle.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Bold colorful art with minimal look. Runner that compliments art and doesn't compete. Very simple. Don't buy rug til you find perfect art. Abstract. Thin black frame. I will see what I can find as an example. Bbl
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Art is very personal, but I would be looking for something subject wise like these. I would go one piece as big as I could afford and loved. It would go on the largest wall in hall. Bbl
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Red, white and black work would be great too but you mentioned blue.
    aceshaw thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago

    There are doors on both sides of this hall/entry way so, I would not place a table this will only give you an obstacle. Stay with the narrow shelf or artwork in the large space provided. Rug and pattern would be great but color and style will be dictated by the view from the other side as you come in the door. What is the style and colors you see, your rug should coordinate with that. Same with new lighting, keep to the same style as the rest of the place.

  • 9 years ago
    I would paint the walls a light subdued color, leaving all trim white. It seems too narrow for even a narrow shelf. Hang art tight to the wall. A long runner rug (or two regular length runners) can add color and keep footstep noise from echoing.
    You should choose the runner before picking wall color.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Art and a nice elegant rug, yes. Console table, no, not enough space and hallways are notoriously bad for trapping dirt, so the console table would need dusting almost daily. Keep the art light in color, hallways are usually fairly dark during the day.

    aceshaw thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Wow. Thanks for all your input. I'm getting the general message that a console table would overcrowd the space. I'll look for some art that doesn't have too many colours going on. A lot of you asked what I see when coming in and letting that be my guide. The hall leads to my open concept kitchen/dining room which I'm not actually using as a dining room. Instead I have a wood bar table and two chocolate wicker stools that fit perfectly with the brown floors. The wall straight across the entrance is painted different hues of blue in an abstract geometrical pattern.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm not too interested in painting the walls again. The white I've used was under the advise of a colour specialist and she was spot on with the type of white that would make the hall look bigger.

    I like the simplicity of this floating shelf from west elm. I feel like it would also blend in well. On it I can place a large art piece and maybe a small vase with a flower off the the side of the piece. I can even get two and put one right underneath? This would be going on the wall between the two doors on the left..

  • 9 years ago

    I'm having a hard time between these two flush mounts

    My character and style is definitely the bottom one from pottery barn but something is telling me that the classic and minimal look i'm trying to achieve relies on the top one from west elm.

  • 9 years ago

    Top drum shade for minimalist look. The other one will cast funny spots and shadows on the uniformly white walls.

  • 9 years ago
    Agree with the minimalist light fixture. When I look at your pictures what jumps out to my eye is ....doors, doors and more doors. Since you probably don't want the doors to be the focal point, then I vote for the suggestions of a rug runner and a striking piece of art on the one wall that appears large enough. I would hang the art and skip the floating shelf. It seems the hallway is not very wide and anything from a console to a shelf is going to make the space smaller.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I vote for no shelf. Just will distract from nice art piece IMO. Keep it clean. As to ceiling fixture, if you have a "transitional/modern" vibe going on, I am not keen on either of those light fixtures. Let me hunt around a bit. bbl

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Harmony 2-Light Semi-Flush Mounts, Brushed Nickel · More Info
    I think this would be very interesting and has a 10" drop, which looks like would work in your space. Reasonable price. I like the white bowl and the interesting shape of the metal. This hall is your "gallery" so I like keeping it kind of artsy! Just make sure you have "clearance" for any fixture.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    romanashaw - the color is perfect! So, glad you aren't going to change that color.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Really like that fixture, Flo!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    One word of advice about art, don't be afraid to go large, but keep it graphic and simple since nobody can get back to look at it (as they might want to with a scene or landscape). I don't know your taste in art, but if it's modern something like this might work.



  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello romanashaw and Houzz Pros :)


    I am loving our vintage Oushak runner paired with the above wall art from it'sALLart!

    Reference Rug No. 51841

    A colorful Moroccan from The Berber Tribes of Morocco would add some color! Reference Rug No. 20462.


    To play it safe, I've added a transitional runner in dark blue for a cleaner/sleeker look.

    Reference Rug No. 30283


    We used Flo Mangan's light suggestion too.

  • 9 years ago
    No shelf! People might bump or get bumped moving thru the hall.
  • 9 years ago
    You've all sold me on the large art piece. I shall start hunting. As much as the blue piece you've demonstrated is beautiful I'm more comfortable with something not as bright and full of colour. The yellow rug is stunning! Love the Aztec/Moroccan look.

    I bought two light pendants awhile back and I was so excited to put them up. Unfortunately my door height made it impossible to fit. I only have 9.5" of space so spare making my choice of flush mounts is limited.
  • 9 years ago
    Would you consider painting the doors a matte black and upgrading the hardware?

    I think the art should be a stretched canvas with no frame where the image extends to the sides. It needs to be completely flat against the wall.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    "Connection" 38 x 42, on very flat stretchers, only 3/4" deep.

    I also can create custom commissions based on color palette and style, as I've done for corporations and private buyers. Mssg. me for more information if you are interested.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Love the piece of art "itsALLart" posted. Perfect. Then runner just a black and white tribal. With the art i would do two different lighting solutions! Simple low profile at door and then new track lighting so a light could be directed to the art! I will post some examples. Bbl.
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Capella LED Ceiling Light, Silver · More Info
    Depending on your budget, this would be great entry piece given your clearance issues. It is unique and would enhance your "art gallery" hallway!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Couple that one with this or similar type so you can light the art as well as hallway.

    WAC Lighting LM-K8711-WT/BN Solorail Fixture Kit · More Info
    These rail systems come in many different configurations, but it requires only one junction box. I would find one like this to work on the "art" end of the hallway.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Have you thought about a floating frame rather than a floating shelf with a picture frame on it? We sell clear floating frames in a variety of sizes (including custom sizes for large pieces of art if that's what you have decided on), on our Wexel Art website. They allow you to hang your art/pictures without making your wall look crowded or cluttered while still giving it a professional display!