Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michdemeanor

Kitchen back splash

michdemeanor
10 years ago
When doing a back splash, do you have to do the adjacent walls? See attached pix, trying to see if that part needs a backsplash. It was suggested to me to do it half way up the wall but not sure I like that.

Comments (23)

• libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    When you are this close to a sidewall with a cooktop, it will do a lot for you to go up the wall but I think the issue here is style and where to stop and start your blingy backsplash tile so you have a cohesive look.

You could do a different treatment on the end wall there altogether that might be scrubable and treat the whole wall - for instance, chalk board paint all around the window that you can scrub and paint over easily might meet your modern style point, be inexpensive and look like you hoped. Your style seems more modern, but if you liked a cottage look you could add glossy white painted beadboard just on that end wall to 6' with trim above - that is one inexpensive way to finish it off and look neat depending on what the wall past the window looks like. You might purchase an inexpensive precut stainless panel - i think ikea sells one and I'd bet HD does - that would mean installing it just as a simple square there.
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10 years ago
    I agree with Brenda on the point that a backsplash on the adjacent wall making it easier to clean. With that said, you don't have to go with a backsplash there, and I don't know that it would look good in my opinion.

I'm not sure what backsplash you have in mind, but I'd recommend going with a subway tile. I think our Pearl subway would look great with your countertop and cabinetry. You can see it here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

Good luck!
  • michdemeanor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the back splash. I'm just afraid it will look weird only half way up the adjacent wall and I think it would look weird up the entire wall.
  • 0825sam
    10 years ago
    I think in your case I would just stop the backsplash at the wall. I think you have too much to contend with to make a natural end point if you start wrapping around the side with the window, etc. Also, I think the backsplash may be too much to continue over much of the side wall. In the attached photo they cover most of the side wall but I think it works because of the type of tile and use to the ceiling elsewhere in the room.
    Eclectic Kitchen · More Info
  • michdemeanor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank You! That's what I thought a well and needed back up. I don't want to do the side walls but if I change my mind, I can add it at any time.
  • PRO
    Facings of America, Inc
    10 years ago
    Here is an example of a back splash that goes half way up the wall. however, I agree with most comments I would still wrap the side adjacent to the stove if it is within budget for cleaning purposes. However, if not I see no problem having it die into the wall.
  • frishkay
    10 years ago
    i dont think you should do the adjacent wall, it just seems weird
  • Jackie Brown
    10 years ago
    If you run the back splash from the underside of the cabinet down to the counter top it won't look so disjointed as it bends around onto the wall beside the stove. If you do decide to do it later. Pretty tile choice.
  • laquayadennis85
    10 years ago
    I'd wrap it around the adjacent wall and as high as the cabinet?! The pic is of my backsplash nd where we stopped.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    I figured you had some blingy tile - that is why i suggested the other options for the end wall - you will find something that works for you. Use high gloss paint if you leave the drywall so you can scrub it easy.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Laquaya, I have that same blingy backsplash!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Meant to post a picture
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi MichDemeanor, I agree with you that you can choose not to do the sidewalls now, and that you can always add it later (perhaps with some extra cost). Hi Nancy -- what a coincidence that you have the same backsplash as Laquaya's.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 years ago
    Stop in the corner, use washable paint, and be prepared to repaint that wall once a year. But stop at the corner!! Sometimes these awkward situations are better left alone.... that is the case here.
  • joniramsay
    10 years ago
    You certainly don't have to add the blacksplash tile to the side wall. But, if form is following function, then a "backsplash" tile would be beneficiL to you, esp. if you cook a lot. It would save you painting touch UPS down the line too.
  • PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    10 years ago
    Yes, for function, doing the side wall is a good idea. For aesthetics, I would do it just on the back wall. I love the grey tile you selected!
  • PRO
    Steven Foster Construction
    10 years ago
    I agree with the stoppers. To do it right you might not have the room (looks tight) to lath and mud then tile. I do not like merely attaching tile to drywall. I also think half way will not look great and all the way up would make the kitchen look smaller (looks small already). In a large kitchen you can use same material as counter top.. in a small kitchen better to go with something differant on splash, the linear look makes the kitchen ares seem bigger. good luck. www.sfconstruct.net. So Ca. est. 1981
  • michdemeanor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You guys rock!!
  • PRO
    Effortless Chic
    10 years ago
    if you decide to wrap the tile around the corner than you can stop at end of the stove and go all the way to the ceiling on both walls. IF you only do half-wall backsplash than it would look choppy.
  • PRO
    Brian J. McGarry Interiors
    10 years ago
    With the inexplicably poor design you have with the range against the wall I don't think you have much choice but to treat the side wall somehow. A gas range against a painted wall will cause the wall to look stained and damaged very shortly. I suggest a panel of stainless steel on the wall which will be very neutral ( in your grey palette )and basically disappear in the final design; you can take it as high as the top of the micro. What dope of a kitchen designer put the range against the wall? There were absolutely other solutions to the range placement.
  • alwaysdesigning
    10 years ago
    I would also agree, a coordinating wall finish of some kind wrapping around the cookstove wall. Try just a smooth stainless steel in that area. It can extend from left corner of range around the corner to the front of the range and reach up to the lower edge of microwave. A sculptural cut out along the top of the steel on the wall next to the range would add some additional unique interest. Or, paint around the range and the wall next to it in a glossy, easy to clean paint. Good luck.
    [houzz=
    Buena Vista Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Capitol Hill Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • michdemeanor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I LOVE this!!! thank you so much. I defo adding some stainless to the side panel, Thank you SO much!!