Software
Houzz Logo Print
vicsin42

Building a home with new and used lumber.

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I live in Washington State in Walla Walla County. Can I build a 1975 sq. ft. home with new and used lumber ? I have stored lumber from a military hanger that was tore down in the 1970's. Best lumber, I was told grade 1. My husband and I want to be our own general contractor and build as we go along paycheck to paycheck. Hopefully being done in a year. My question is can I use the used lumber along with new to build this house?

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Does it have a visible grade stamp that the inspector can see? If not, then no, it cannot be used in a structural capacity. Kiln dried is what is specified for framing. Stored lumber often warps wanes if not kept in a humidity controlled environment. Is the storage location conditioned space? I'm sure there is something that you can do with the lumber, but using it to frame your home with isn't likely.

    Have you ever built a project before? Do you have the cost of a home plus a year's worth of living expenses in your savings? What income will you actually have coming in if you take a whole year off of work to build a house?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Have you talked to your architect? Have you talked to your local building department? Have you talked to your banker or lender? Do you have a design for what you want to build? Do you know what your major spans and loads will be and where?

    vicsin42 thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It may be used for structural purposes with certification from a professional that your jurisdiction approves. However, it may have to be de-nailed or re-milled. Beware of any painted pieces, as it will be lead paint and may render the lumber unusable.

    While shopping for cottages in the early '90s, I found a number that included recycled bits 'n pieces from teardowns. Considering the paucity of inspection in the backwoods on unnamed trails with one or two season land access, I stuck with a kit cottage.

    vicsin42 thanked worthy
  • 9 years ago

    congrats on recycling. ditto what Worthy said. If it was used structurally before it should be fine.

    vicsin42 thanked robin0919
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone, we are farmers, we are debt free. Yes money is always an issue but we have saved to pay for the entire house. But chose to do it mostly ourselves to keep more money in our pockets. We are handy at building and remodeling, we believe in recycling what we can, this


    used lumber has been stored in a dry place. I have enough lumber "cross my fingers" for at least a 1300 sq ft. home saved. No warping and very clean, straight with very little knots. This is our first house we are going to build and like I was asking is to build with reclaimed lumber. We are going to take each step starting with an architect as stated. I know there is a lot to learn but baby steps we will do it. We are going to build a 1975 sq. ft. Hexagon house with wings and should be a challenge with help, we will hire a basement builder and framer. I have saved half the insulation r-19 needed from 15 years ago bought from Sears along with 1500 feet of boxed electrical wire 12/2 ground wire. We are excited and if we can use this reclaimed lumber it will be awesome. My house will be rustic inside and out and lots of used items as we are antique collectors. I am excited. The picture is of the lumber stored, 4 more layers towards the back. Thanks for all your advice and will post a picture when the house is started, plan on it in early spring 2018. I am sure I will be back to ask more questions.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Start with building a barn first. See if the relationship can survive that project and warped wood. Wet wood for a dwelling isn't anyone's idea of how to keep things plumb and level.

  • 9 years ago

    Sophie, we have an old barn and its beautiful but we are not building with barn wood its wood from an enclosed military hanger that was not used anymore and then taken down, the buildings did not fall down it was dismantled and the wood sold dry not wet. The military used the best wood back then. A few homes were built with this same wood in the 70's from these hangers as my fathers was. Still in grade 1 shape. This lumber will be inspected. Thanks for your input.


  • 9 years ago

    I love old wood. If it were mine I would use new wood inside the walls and use this old, beautiful wood on the floors & ceilings where it could be appreciated.

    vicsin42 thanked dbrad
  • 9 years ago

    dbrad, yes that is what I am planning, in the mix I have over 60 2x12's that I would love to use as the stringers across the basement if allowed, it has that dark reddish black color and very beautiful. I want to be able to see it in my basement which I want to have an open ceiling. This lumber will be used anywhere I can to enjoy its beauty. The house framing will be new of course but anywhere else I will try to use the old. I have had many offers from others to buy this lumber. Reclaimed wood is a premium now and very valuable. It has been a dream to build my own house and I will do it. Thanks as you can see my vision.


  • 9 years ago

    I think using the old wood as esthetic addition is wonderful. However, be aware that building codes usually require fire breaks materials(sheet rock) at some point. You could build using new lumber(which would be covered by the sheet rock and then use the old lumber as the finished wall/ceiling.

    But, to be sure, check with your local building codes office for two reasons. One, the possibility of using the old lumber and second, the length of the build time.

    vicsin42 thanked User