Software
Houzz Logo Print
robert_brown97100

36" hood for 36" Blue Star - 27" Depth!

9 years ago

Hello,

i have read a lot of topics on gardenweb and was hoping to get a more specific question answered:

With a budget maxing out at $1,500, does a reputable pyramid/chimney style hood exist that is 36" wide with a depth of 27" and around 715cfms

I don't have cabinets on either side of where the bluestar will be going, but a 42" wide hood is just too big. Takes up too much headspace in my small kitchen. I'd be turning into it and hitting my head left and right (I'm 6'5"). Kitchen designer also said he wouldn't recommend a 42" width hood.


Therefore, the next best thing isto make sure I get a hood that performs as best as it can in my kitchen. I figure a 36"x27" with a height of 30" from the cooktop is my best bet.

Worst case I go with my Zephry Venezia I originally planned on and it will more or less get the job done.

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    Manufacturers such as ModernAire will custom built you a powerful hood with the exact dimensions that you request. But I am not sure that'll fit the budget that you suggested. You might want to contact them for a quote though.

    Also, I've always been told that full overlap in the front is even more important than extra overhangs on the sides. But if that's what you're going to do, then 30" from the stove top is going to place the good squarely at your eye level.

    Have you tried a cardboard mock up to see whether the configuration would even work for you?

  • 9 years ago

    2D? 3D?! I guess, I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

    I was thinking you should build a life-size cardboard model of the exact dimensions of the hood you plan on installing. Have a helper hold it in the place where you expect to install it and see if you can live with these dimensions.

    If I recall correctly, ModernAire recommends that their hoods are installed between 30" and 36" above the cook surface. And they ideally recommend a 3" overhang on each side, and full overlap at the front. Depending on your choice of range, you might or might not get that with 27" depth.

    I thought I could get away with 35" above the cook surface, as our counter-tops are 2" taller than standard. Turns out, I am just tall enough that this would in principle work, but always feel very claustrophobic. So, we're going to go for the extra inch and raise it to the full 36" height. And I'm only 6' tall.

    If you are 6'5" and your countertops are at the regular 30", then things are going to be even worse for you. Relative to the top of your head, your hood is going to be 13" lower than mine. That's maybe OK for a hood that is only about 20" deep. But those hoods are a lot less effective. A 27"+ deep hood works much better. But it'll be very difficult to use, if the hood is directly in front of your eyes at all times. A good mock up should help a lot in answering what will and will not be functional.

  • 9 years ago

    Well the bluestar is 36" tall and maybe if I go 32" above the cooktop to give myself a little room it should be ok. I feel pretty comfortable at Aitoro when I check the models out and they have the hoods at 30" above the cooktops.

    I think with my budget and kitchen I'm just going to have to make a 36" width with a 24" depth chimeny hood work. The times I do high searing it'll help and I'll open a window. Still much better than nothing at all.

    My range is going to be 2 inches off the back wall (baseboard behind the range). The hood can be installed 2 inches off the wall so that the front of the range is covered by the hood, right?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    A 24" depth won't suck as well, especially for the high powered front burners. But it does help somewhat with the obstruction on your line of sight. So, there are pros and cons to your decision

    We currently (pre-remodel) have a 20" x 36" hood over a 30" Bluestar. The 20" depth does allow for mounting the hood much lower (26") without unduly impacting visibly. It works OK for "normal" cooking. But when frying or wok cooking, there definitely are smells that escape into the rest of the room.

    Building a kitchen is an exercise in compromises

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think you will be fine with a 24" depth hood. If you did a poll on this forum, you'd find only a handful of people with a hood of 27" depth. They're less commonplace to find and expensive. Your budget isn't that big.

    I think you are very mistaken about the width of the hood. You won't bang your head on it more cause it's 42" instead of 36" wide. And, without cabinets on either side, aesthetically it will look skimpy to have a 36" hood over a 36" range. I am surprised at your KD, and am questioning his knowledge. Somewhere there is a thread on this topic of hood width aesthetics, and I will try to find it for you.

    Bottom line, get a 42" wide by 24" deep hood, installed 30"-36" above the range, and you will be happy with these dimensions.

    I would spend more time thinking about the ductwork. Why didn't you mention it. It needs to be 8" or 10" diameter. If not, that will constrain your exhaust capabilities far more than whether the hood is 27" deep.

    ETA: I searched Gardenweb threads, but anything on this subject was missing the photos due to Photobucket's new rules making you upgrade (curse you Photobucket)

    Also check out Costco for hoods. Make sure they have baffle filters. Some great deals on Costco, though the hoods come and go, and if you don't find something check back in a week or two.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Frieda. Haven't thought about the diameter. Whatever the Zephyr Venezia has will be it or if I have a choice then I'll do the better one. The hood is going straight up through the roof so there won't be any turns, which is good.

  • 9 years ago

    Following up my post above, I found a couple photos. One with hood same size as range, and then a photo of a 42" hood over 36" range which is Beekeeperswife's beautiful kitchen.



  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    "Whatever the Zephyr Venezia has will be it or if I have a choice then I'll do the better one."

    I am not sure if I was clear about the diameter. I meant the diameter of the duct that goes from the hood to the outside. The one you described going to the roof - that is the one that needs to be 8" or 10". The specs of the hood you choose will say which size it needs to be.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Afraid 42" hood eats up too much space

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    OK, you never mentioned that there is a window on each side of the range, you just said there are no upper cabinets. In your renovation, what will you do about landing space for the range? Can the range go somewhere else in the kitchen? I recommend you post your layout on the Kitchens Forum - there are people there who love to dive in and improve layout and flow.

  • 9 years ago

    Already have. No worries. Range between windows works best. Have put a ton of thought into it. Will eventually put countertops across but for now that table to the left will work.

    Going for functional right now. A few years from now we'll do the remodel.

  • 9 years ago

    table to the right*

  • 9 years ago

    You still have room for a 42" hood. It will just come up short of the window molding.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yep. It overlaps the molding by a quarter inch on each side. Not much. I think once I put it high enough it won't be a problem. Just gotta trust my judgement.