Software
Houzz Logo Print
emily996

Living room help! Sectional? Color?

9 years ago

Here is the current room to be overhauled little by little. What do I prioritize for maximum impact? Want to start by replacing the old, worn sofa.... thinking sectional with right arm chaise and a round coffee table? Home with young kids and shedding dog.
Color?

Start somewhere else for impact?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the reply! The living room portion of this open space is 17x29'. I was actually thinking the chaise end of the sectional would be overall smaller than a second sofa. I do know what you mean about sectionals loading down a room. It limits the configuration I can consider too... Hm.

  • 9 years ago

    I prefer 2 sofas or a pair of chairs with the sofa..provides room for tables and lamps and a place for a mommy drink..usually only 3 people can sit in the sectional. Looks like it will be a bright happy room regardless..Love the fabrics you chose. Many manufacturers will have an ottoman that can match up to sofa enough to make it a lounge when you pull it up - provided coffee table isn't too big.

  • 9 years ago
    That sectional looks perfect for your space...the lighter color may be better and the small multi - color aspect will disguise dog hair as best as can be expected...one thing to discover is if the fabric will hold up to the repeated brushing over time ...to remove the detritus when needed ....you have the room and the long cushions work well for seating more people when you need to....the more complicated part is getting the tables right to suit your needs according to the way you expect to use the seating...people tend to get big heavy coffee tables so there is access to everyone everywhere ...all the time...perfect for stubbing your knees and impossible to move around....I like smaller lighter weight tables in a grouping that move around easily to be handy where and when needed...the c-tables work well if they are substantial enough to be sturdy ...also an inclusion of a console table behind the couch part at the right height is super handy for holding drinks or snacks and also offer a desk like surface to sit and watch tv while multi-tasking with your I- pad or having a quick lunch...a really cool light decorative ottoman will also get good use in these situations as well...the lightweight mobility lets you move it around easily to right where you need it
  • 9 years ago
    The only thing you may want to consider in view of your present couch is that the low back style seating may not offer the comfort level you may be used to with your present couch
  • 9 years ago
    For some reason this sectional reminds me off another post where people were unhappy with the fabric pilling too much..this may be why I question the fabric...but hopefully i am wrong
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Be careful. Sectionals tend to get a bad rep around here. Not sure why. I say go with what you like. Today's sectional is quite different than those just 5 years ago.
  • 9 years ago
    I would definitely stick with leather, much more forgiving with pets and children, did you notice that with your leather sofa? Easy to clean, just keep up with the protective cream you rub into it every 6 months, that's what I do, so easy. I think tan leather sectional would look great
  • 9 years ago

    Don't freeze yourself into a chaise that can't be reversed. You never know when the mood to change the arrangement will be stiffled by a rigid chaise.

  • 9 years ago
    I think aqua blue side panel curtains could look good
  • 9 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste it is a rigid chaise in this model. I agree interchangeable would be better, especially if we move in a few years. I think I'd have to go larger (AKA arm on both ends of the L) or smaller (like the detachable ottoman "chaise" that hooks onto either left or right side of a couch to make it a "sectional") to get something interchangeable. I'm torn, because I'm not sure I have room for the bigger option in terms of space or budget.

    @CSI I tend to dislike the formality of two sofas. I also feel like this open space needs some lines to control the flow some and distinguish the spaces?

    @Rita I agree I don't want a huge coffee table. I like the round, visually light one Irene posted. As for fabric, I have seen that too and I do worry. This is a West Elm couch, and it seems that quality is hit or miss. I would think that the grey worn velvet would be less prone pilling than the twill?

    @Irene I do love leather. Our current couch has served us well for almost 10 years! We need more seating (disposed of the loveseat years ago bc I didn't like the showroom vibe) and I can't afford leather in a style like this. (The Crate and Barrel Genesis is very similar to this style and comes in leather....at a $13k price tag!)

  • 9 years ago

    This one is tiny for a small apartment, but I'm showing you that they don't have to have connections. Here, a footstool-like portion and the cushions on top of it simply reverse to the other side.

    Homes Under 700 sq feet · More Info

    Here's a favorite of mine. Do you have to have a back on the chaise side?

    Gus Modern Jane Bi-Sectional Sofa, Velvet Midnight · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste Love the tufted back and seats on that one! Yes that's the "smaller" style I referred to above. More reversible for sure. I would prefer the back, in theory, because have kids who would catapult over a backless chaise. Truth be told, it's possible they would vault over anything despite my "no gymastics on the couch" standing rule, so maybe a backless chaise would be fine. As I look through reviews on reseller ratings, I'm looking at Article more. Don't love any of their sectionals at first glance, but they do have some great couches and cool chairs. Their reviews are glowing. Maybe I could add a chair instead of adding a chaise in that space.

    This grey one looks really comfy, if the cushions would hold their shape. The leather one comes in various colors.

  • 9 years ago
  • 9 years ago
    Congratulations! You have chosen two sectionals which may not overwhelm your space. Either one will work since the placement will not be against a wall (that's when the color is most important).
  • 9 years ago

    You've done a beautiful job decorating this room! Either of your sofa color options would work, but I have a slight preference for the gray. If you are open to what Irene Morresey thought of, I think that tan leather could be gorgeous.

  • 9 years ago
    One thing I have always had to consider is the size of the people using the couch...as I am short and my husband is tall...the deep seating that is so "in" is a challenge for me but perfect for my long legged husband...

    this calls to mind how useable is the corner space in a deep seating sectional...I visualize children or normal size people sitting with their legs straight out if they want to sit up in the corner...and the end of the chaise part useless for sitting up with no back there...

    We got an extra long deep seating couch and added two light weight specialty ottomans and this works pretty good..east to push around while seated or out of the way when not needed...plenty of room in the center of the couch for our doggies and for the big guys when my husband has buddies over for fights or football...will add a pic of the console table behind the couch...as this has turned out to be the most useful feature in our living room....

    will attach a pic to demonstrate...and I might add the deep seating issues/challenges...( like having to add pillows to the back to be able to actually sit upright) were unknown to me when we took this deep seating route...but I still like the look...
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Opt for the grey sectional if you have young kids! Looks nice and feels proportional to your room. Pairing it with a round coffee table or ottoman is always a great idea for flow (and kid friendly).

    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    @Jonnie, thank you. I have done a lot without replacing any large furniture in a long time! I agree the grey works better here.

    @Niche I love how the greys work with the medium wood in the example you posted. I'm going for something along those lines for sure.

    This thread has helped solidify my thoughts. Maybe someday I will have a light couch, at a time I won't also need to buy shares of Scotchguard to keep it clean from kids' hands.

    Now I'm down to West Elm or not...

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you decide to get a sectional, you might not want to get a light color. Go with a blue or a grey if you have kids. It will make it much easier on messes.

    Terminus Place · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    well, whether you decide to go with a sectional, or a sofa and chairs, please make sure to get a quote from us. we are a family business, making quality custom furniture for over 40 years. your custom sectional will be made in los angeles, to any size, in any fabric or leather. below are a few examples of our work. we ship nationwide !

    please CLICK HERE TO REQUEST A QUOTE . we can create the perfect piece for you.

    xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

    ***CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL PROJECTS

    MEGAN STYLE - MODERN ITALIAN LOOK - CUSTOM SECTIONAL SOFA · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/megan-style-modern-italian-look-custom-sectional-sofa-family-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~53625120)

    ZENITH - CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/zenith-custom-sofa-sectional-los-angeles-phvw-vp~91821926)

    KENZIE STYLE - Chesterfield Custom Sectional Sofas · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kenzie-style-chesterfield-custom-sectional-sofas-traditional-family-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~9403371)

    CIPRIANO STYLE - CHESTERFIELD · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cipriano-style-chesterfield-los-angeles-phvw-vp~86823597)