Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_michael_77

Please Critique House Plan

Leslie Michael
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

We are looking for any feedback on the house design below. We are about to move forward and we're curious if there were any big things that we may have overlooked.

We do love the design as is currently and appreciate all the effort our architect Doug has put into it. As stated earlier this is more us trying to have fresh eyes see if there were any things we may have missed.

Comments (22)

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

I'll bet that's a beautiful lot!

I was going to ask the same thing as cpartist about the stairs. I'm hoping there's a living area downstairs (now or in the future), so kids and adults can each have their own space. I also agree with her about the boys' bathroom, and the kitchen. I've never used a kitchen with 2 islands, but I feel like one would spend a lot of time and energy going around that middle island - and venting an island range hood is expensive.

I would make Toby's room and the bathroom left-hand walls flush with the master - 10'x10' is a decent bedroom size, but 10'x12' would be better - and eliminate what I think is an unnecessary jog.

The master bath seems crowded, with no storage, but wasted space between vanity and outside wall (behind the tub). There isn't room for 2 sinks on that wall.

The garage is just barely big enough for 2 cars.

I don't usually like laundry in the mud room, but yours seems wide enough to be able to walk through the room even with laundry in progress. I think it would work - as long as you're OK with hauling laundry through the house from the bedrooms ot the laundry room.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

I like the alternate plan because it gives the kids bigger rooms. I'm not an expert but an 8' wide room seems kind of narrow.

I agree with AnnKH's remarks above.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I don't like the alternative bathroom with two doors. Look at swapping the Entry with the powder room and closet, centering the entry door on the stairs. It is a sweet little floor plan with nice flow. The clouds . . . . . Slowly I turn . . . step by step . . . inch by inch . . .

• doc5md
    6 years ago

I like it. I prefer the original plan as the closets help to insulate the bathroom noise.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

Similar comments to CP on liking the initial concept for the boys rooms - reach in closets will provide more real hanging space, and add a tall transom / clerestory in the shower to get some natural light in the bathroom.

Understand wanting to have a larger closet for "one" occupant, but shifting the door over makes the toilet area cramped in the bath.

I do love the fenestration - all the windows look lovely and well planned.

Love the mudroom - love the door to the outside, and that you can move through there without being in the path of the laundry.

Lots of corners in the plan, but that adds to the 2 sided windows in a lot of rooms - it's all a tradeoff.

as for the clouds, I am assuming the front and rear views were drawn at different times which accounts for the lack of the rear clouds being visible from the front.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I would make Toby's room and the bathroom left-hand walls flush with the master - 10'x10' is a decent bedroom size, but 10'x12' would be better - and eliminate what I think is an unnecessary jog.

I assumed the jog is because of setbacks or lot considerations since it's in both versions.

The master bath seems crowded, with no storage, but wasted space between vanity and outside wall (behind the tub). There isn't room for 2 sinks on that wall.

Depending on what they decide I can see that as a place to put towels, and bath stuff. Or they can turn the tub sideways so its on the closet wall and then make the vanity larger. There is more than enough room for the two vanities on that wall.

The garage is just barely big enough for 2 cars.

It's larger than my garage and my garage fits my large SUV and a second car with no problems.

I do like also that in the original plan there is a linen closet in the hall which is lacking in the alternative plan.

Look at swapping the Entry with the powder room and closet, centering the entry door on the stairs.

If he does that, then he loses the entry into the kitchen from the foyer.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Can you repost the images it erasing your name and town?

• bpath
    6 years ago

I assumed the jog is because of setbacks or lot considerations since it's in both versions.

i don't think so, the yard is still broad on that side. I think it's for "egalitarian" reasons, to keep the kids' rooms the same size without a longer hallway. I like the first plan with hall bath and reach-ins. Where will Toby's bed go?

No home office/records storage? The kid bath is also the guest bath, right?

I like the right side arrangement for side entry and the central "virtual" hallway.

I was going to make a goofy comment about how the "landscaping" is inconsistent between the plan and the elevation, but then I looked more closely and really wondered: The "landscaping" has me a bit confused, the "trees" along the back steps seem to block a view--yeah, I know there will be a landscape architect involved, but it just got me thinking (uh oh). Does the living room have a view of something? Is there a walk-out below?

• Leslie Michael
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    As a response to some of the questions I've seen.

Lot & Family Composition: We are a family of 6. My wife and I, our 4 year old son Caleb, our almost 2 year old son Toby, and our 2 cats Mr. Peaches and Smokey.

The lot is wooded and will not have any one developing across or behind us. To our one side there is a good amount of woods between us and our neighbor (we can barely see their house through the trees in the winter time). To our other side (bedroom wing side) the land is undeveloped but we could get a neighbor in the future. They won't be too close to us though.
    The view for the lot is in the back where we hope to be spending some of our time entertaining and playing with the kids.

Stairs: The stairs lead to an unfinished basement currently. We plan on finishing it at a later date. The basement is set to currently run from the kitchen up through the living room. The bedroom wing is to be crawl space and the mud room slab.
    The kids we have are currently four and almost two. We figure when they get older they may enjoy the added space but for now we doubt it would get much use as a finished space.

Kitchen: With the kitchen we debated moving the exterior wall in and removing an island. We do like it as is but we have been considering this.

Bedroom Wing: As has been mentioned by the people here this one is a conundrum. The one plan gives bigger bedrooms but the bathroom is then missing any windows. We're currently leaning towards the plan with the bigger bedrooms for more space but this isn't set yet. On that plan though we would want to remove the bathroom entrance from Caleb's room. I don't want him to lock everyone else out.
  • One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

Beautiful!!!

My only concerns are:

(1) Will the Powder toilet be visible from Dining/Kitchen area? It looks like it just barely might (or might not) be; I can't quite tell, even when I put a straight edge up to the screen, lol.

(2) Any bedroom less than 10' in any direction is too small for me (but, admittedly, I double-triple up on the kiddos in each room), and it looks like C's room is 11'x8'? If you're already maxed out on setbacks, I would borrow some space from the Master suite, in order to stretch that room by 2'. For resale purposes, if nothing else.

(3) No windows in the boys' bathroom.

(4) The gable is drawing my attention to T's room instead of the front door. ;-) But maybe it's just me, lol.

Other than that, wow, what a nice house! That kitchen and pantry is to die for... I've never been in a house with two islands, but I can totally see the usefulness for parties (or heck, for big families). The house looks adorable, and I love the approach to it. <3 Mr. Doug does great work. Especially with his clouds. ;-)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

It's a fine and thoughtful design--congratulations! My only concern is that I think 12' is too narrow for a living room, especially for more than two people! I think that's the dimension shown (the enlarged plan is still small for seeing dimensions and notes). Good job by all involved! Even the clouds are appealing! :-)

• bpath
    6 years ago

Remove the names of family, kids in rooms, and town from the plan.

• Leslie Michael
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How do you do this? I see no options for me to edit the post. I also submitted a ticket but have gotten no response yet.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

What is the size of Caleb's bedroom? It's not 8' is it?

Also what is the size of the living room? The measurements are hard to read.

ODD, the staircase will block the bathroom from the living area. It's really a well done plan.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

One thought. You might want to make the laundry area enclosed so that when you're not doing laundry, it's closed by doors.

• One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

CP, I see that the stairs/closet block both the boys' bathroom and the powder from the living room; I was concerned about the entry powder's visibility from the kitchen/dining. :-)

• bpath
    6 years ago

CPA, do you mean doors for that side of the room? I wouldn't, there is also countertops, cabinets above for more than just detergent (flashlights, cleaning supplies) and the sink. But if you mean a door to the room, by all means! Also to block the view of backpacks and such from the rest of the house.

Where will the cats' dining be, and for that matter their litter box?

• bpath
    6 years ago

ODD, one would have to make an effort, but one could,from th e dining room. A solution would be an outswing door which is more likely to be cooked all the way when not in use, but hen one doesn't know if it's occupied, or flipping it so the door is next to the front door, but I wouldn't like that either.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

LOL ODD. I was looking at the kids bath. I still think it will be fine visually.

bp, I was thinking more like a huge butler's pantry type of closet space. Not sure if it could be done or not.

• Leslie Michael
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As I've been seeing a few of the comments I'll try to address some of the questions below.

Room Dimensions:

Master Bedroom: 15x12 or 16x12

Middle Bedroom: 11x11 or 12x13.5

Front Bedroom: 11x10.5 or 14x10.5

Kitchen: 18x15

Dining: Current is 15x12.5 but see below how the 12.5 will be changing.

Living: Current dimension on the drawing is 20x12.5. However we are having the back wall moved back by 3 feet to make this 20x15.5.

Mudroom: The mudroom does have a door. I'm guessing that the picture isn't coming through great in translation over the forums. This may have been from me as I had to convert this from a PDF to a picture on my end.

Cats Litter/Dining: Cats litter will be in the mudroom. We will need to put a cat door on the mudroom door to the interior. Cats food we are debating. Some thoughts include the dining room or putting just legs on one side of the middle countertop in the kitchen and dedicating that space to them.

• bluesanne
    6 years ago

You're a family after my own heart, including the four-legged family members in your head count and planning for their comfort in the floorplan stage. Smart to plan on tucking their dishes under a counter so you don't end up with flying food, but with cats I would make certain that they can be entirely protected while eating – not just their food dish. Dogs are happy to let you squeeze past them during their meal time, but most kitties like a bit more shelter. You could put a door on that lower cupboard with a cutout just large enough for feline access. You could open the door to freshen food and water, but they'd have not only a dining room but a cozy hideaway.