Software
Houzz Logo Print
jane_croft6616485

Color and Styling help, please!

9 years ago

I'd like to change the throw pillows in this room, and also the cushions on the fireplace. I'm also thinking of adding a chair in the corner nearest the fireplace. What colors do you suggest? Orange? Ivory? There's also a light blue in the rug that might work (see rug closeup). Thanks for your ideas!




Comments (33)

  • 9 years ago

    I would try to find a fire retardant fabric in a nice slate gray for the cushions and I don't think you need a chair in the corner i'm pretty sure others will think differently also I would add the ivory for the throw pillows.

    Jane Croft thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    One more thing, I also thought of doing two peachy shades: the peach in the carpet and the orange. Maybe in velvets?

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think it matters what color you choose, but I would choose any of the two colors and make one color dominant and one supportive......and try deep saturated colors and patterns and lighter tones in a mix. You just do not want a 50/50 split, too confusing to the brain and the balance in the room.....

    Dominant orange

    Trickett Family Room · More Info

    Two blues dominant

    Summer Thornton : Hinsdale Family Home · More Info

    Dominant blue

    Southern Americana · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't put any more of those tones in that room you already have the dominant tones working in this room including the fireplace bring some dark browns in.

  • 9 years ago

    something like this


    Jinan Geometric Pillow, Brown 18"x18" · More Info

    or the ivory


    Janka Geometric Pillow Amber, 24"x24" · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You need some pillows with textures and patterns. No more plain solids. Something like a faux fleece and you need a nubby throw.:

    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/dante-throw/s307366

    https://www.cb2.com/16-wool-wrap-pillow-with-feather-down-insert/s142802

    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/pelliccia-silver-grey-23-pillow-with-feather-down-insert/s541088

    Some baskets:

    Seagrass Nested Round Apple Baskets, Set of 3, Large, 16.5" 13.5" · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Frisco Mongolian Sheepskin Faux Fur Pillows, Set of 2, Ink, 12"x20" · More Info

    I wouldn't be afraid to go with a darker blue, either.

  • 9 years ago
    Hello, luv the space! I would go with the grey color in the kitchen for the fireplace cushions...darker grey than in rug. Same grey color with larger pillows behind rust colored pillows on couch. If you do add a chair maybe mid century style with rust color upholstery, and wood that matches coffee table.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Do you really need cushions on the hearth? To be truly useful they would need to be 3" thick foam. I think you might be better served with stools or a bench in front of hearth. You might be able to do some animal prints like leopard with the warm coloring but bring some texture and interest to your room. The rug is so dominate the best you can do is keep warm coloring but add textures. I will post some photos later.
  • 9 years ago

    Flo I was thinking the same thing when I first looked at this post but I didn't say anything

  • 9 years ago
    The very aggressive rug is at war with the training of the coffee table. The rug would be better under dining room furniture.
  • 9 years ago
    Perhaps more in this style and colour
  • 9 years ago

    Great ideas! Thank you all. Lisa Fouts my husband wanted to use the grey color from the kitchen/rug, but I was scared the beige wouldn't look very good with grey? Would the warm/cool mix look odd?

  • 9 years ago

    Also I don't necessarily need cushions on the fireplace, but there is an unfortunately shaped stain on one side of the fireplace hearth, so I need something to cover it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You might be able to stain the stone to disguise discoloration on hearth?
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Transitional Living Room · More Info
    Nice mix of caramel color and gray with some beige, but notice the black details in the artwork, lamp and windows that help pull everything together. I think some black in your room would be wonderful. I saw an accent piece today and RH and I should have snapped a photo. I was a freeform metal in an aged gold that would look spectacular on your table. I'll see if I can find it. While you don't seem to want many accessories, a few would warm up the space just a little bit.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here is the piece I thought would look great on your coffee table. It is pretty sustaintial 15h x13 x 15. Very cool piece.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    accessories · More Info

    Jane Croft thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago

    Flo Magnan those are some great ideas I think adding black to the rooms is a really great suggestion.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You could easily choose more than one color out of your rug to use. Like in this design of ours we used teal and orange, along with white.

    Leeward Renovation · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I'm thinking of adding in this for more contrast:


    And replacing the pillows with some mixed size throw pillows in dark grey, ivory (with texture) and possible this pillow:

    Any thoughts?

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    What you might want to consider is a larger glass top with black metal frame. I would hold off on pilliws until you make the coffee table decision. I will post some ideas later.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    There are many ways to accomplish doing an interesting coffee table arrangement. If you want to really stretch your budget, there is a combination table at Ikea that someone recently posted and they used two of these put together and you could do 3 of them. It is a pair, and they used the extra small tables as end tables where they needed them. Can't beat this pricing. Then if you want something a bit more refined, I found a round one that seems to fit the room nicely I tone I believe. bbl

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    coffee tables · More Info
    Here is the ikea combo set. 3 of these would make a table about 57 by 35 or so. that might make it so everyone on either sofa could have access to the coffee table and the rug would show but not too much!

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Harness Round Coffee Table · More Info
    This struck me as hefty enough to stand up to the stone wall. Not sure it is big enough at 40" round. You would have to measure and do a little template to check that out.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Large Ellen Weathered Walnut Coffee Table · More Info
    More of a mid-century design but pricey. 42" round

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    As to pillows, I think strong color is needed along with texture to help balance the size and color of the sofas and rug, etc.

    Fuzzy Faux Snow Leopard Pillow | Pier 1 Imports · More Info
    Nice texture and good color to go with the stone.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Mongolian Fur Pillow with Faux Leather and Stud · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Triangle Coffee Table Modern Glass Top, Dark Walnut · More Info


    Zeon Coffee Table Black · More Info
  • 9 years ago
    Nursery Chair and Ottoman White · More Info


    Jackie Midcentury Modern Classic Chair, Aniline Leather, White · More Info


    Midcentury Modern Tufted Linen Fabric Accent Chair, Light Gray · More Info


    Jackie Midcentury Modern Classic Chair, Premium Fabric, Blue Curacao, Material: · More Info


    Penelope Modern Side Table With Black Metal Frame · More Info


    Amelia Modern Side Table With Black Metal Frame · More Info
    Jane Croft thanked User