Software
Houzz Logo Print
ckearby

What was worth the money and what wasn't ?

9 years ago

The kitchen is from 1975! Ready to remodel but want to know what was the BEST splurge and what was a waste of money?

If you could do it again what would you do and not do?!

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago

    Pictures are needed,

  • 9 years ago

    I'd say splurge on your countertops, faucet, and lighting! Task lighting, overhead, LED recessed lights; bring in your electrician & get it all up to date. To save money I've used budget-friendly RTA cabinets and 1.99/sq ft tile that looked wonderful!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Drawers (full extension) in all base cabinets. Drawers, NOT doors with pull-outs. Make sure they have thick plywood bottoms and 50 pound "glides" on the large ones. You will not believe what a difference they make; they hold a ton and it's easy to see everything.

  • 9 years ago

    Not a huge splurge in the grand scheme of things, but hemmed and hawed over it—an ice maker in my fridge. I've never had one before so it felt unnecessary, but so glad I have it now. No more spilt water carrying my trays from sink to freezer!

    Love my Artemide bathroom light fixture. It's super, duper simple, but the large size in combination with the simplicity is, in my opinion, what makes it so beautiful and impactful. I actually went inexpensive on all my other light fixtures, which suits my aesthetic because I'm doing the minimalist, Scandinavian thing.

    Big regrets on my small sink choice. I have the space; should've gone jumbo.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with full extension drawers -- huge improvement over standard lower cabinets. I wish I had pull-out shelves in my pantry, but just couldn't afford them. Regret it every day.

  • 9 years ago
    I splurged on my backsplash and listened to my interior designer. I also moved all electrical outlets out of the backsplash area and into angled outlet strips under the cabinet.
  • 9 years ago
    Love my quartz counters...no maintenance, no scratches. Love my "tap on, tap off" Delta faucet. Love LED lights everywhere. Definitely drawers for lower spaces, pots, pans, plastic containers, etc. good luck!
  • 9 years ago

    I am very happy with my quartz countertops and my Kohler Whitehaven farmhouse sink. I added a small amount of under cabinet lighting in my prep area and it is very helpful to my older eyes.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Best splurge was twin 34" wide pantries recessed into former reach-in closets. 5 rollouts per pantry with 100 lbs. rated Blumotion full extension soft close glides. Vertical spacing between rollouts adjustable without tools.

    One pantry used mainly for food. Other holds colanders, Crock pot, canisters for flour, etc., Mayhaw jelly, roaster.
    ckearby thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • 9 years ago

    This isn't a splurge, but I wouldn't go without a garbage disposal. Also always had a pantry. Deep wide drawers for pots and pans. Built in soap dispenser. Big waste - cabinet over the fridge that is only as deep as the top cabinets, You always have to get a step stool to reach it. I would go with a deep one and put your cookie sheets, etc in it.

    ckearby thanked functionthenlook
  • 9 years ago

    thank you. I like the ideas.


  • 9 years ago

    thank you for the ideas everyone, i seem to see that pull out drawers have been one of the main must haves and hiding outlets. thank you


  • 9 years ago

    Splurged and got nice(er) faucets- which I love! And custom designed range hood I love.... BUT best choice and expensive was prep sink in island with a big sink for dishes on other side of kitchen. Best choice I made on the whole remodel!!!

    ckearby thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    High end refrigerator was not worth the cost. Having an indoor grill was worth the cost! We use it all the time.
    ckearby thanked mrykbee
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Four Good Splurges

    Every kitchen build or renovation has opportunities to splurge. Some are worth it.

    Drawers and Roll Out Trays.

    Whether large or small, the point of a kitchen renovation is increased efficiency. You won't get that without a good number of drawers and rollouts. Each works best in specific applications.
    Drawers require less motion, whereas rollouts require opening doors and then pulling out the rollouts.Drawers, because they are deeper, are better for storing dishes, pots and pans; the downside is fixed depth. Rollouts are shallow, making them great for groceries and small appliances; rollouts are an easy retrofit whereas drawers are not.
    With new cabinets, drawers and rollouts cost about the same. If your budget won't allow drawer base cabinets, get base cabinets with butt doors (no center stile); the larger opening will save money when you retrofit with rollouts.

    Bonus: Vertical and horizontal spacing is key for rollouts. Base cabinets without stiles mean fewer openings, so there is less wasted space. Aftermarket rollouts are available from manufacturers such as Rev-a-Shelve as single-tier (attaches to cabinet bottom or shelf) or double tier (attaches to bottom).Most aftermarket rollouts are available only in a few standard sizes. For vertical spacing flexibility for cabinets with face frames, consider the Pull Out Tray System from Conestoga Wood Specialties which are fully customizable in height, width and depth. The vertical spacing can easily be changed without tools.

    Full Extension Soft Close Glides

    Full extension means you can see and reach everything in your drawers and rollouts.Glides and hinges are the hardest working moving parts in your kitchen. Blum glides, such as Blumotion Full Extension Soft Close Glides, are among the best.

    Second Sink

    A small second sink, placed outside the primary prep and cleanup area, allows a second person access to water to help prepare food, wash hands or help with other tasks.

    Furniture Ends.

    Furniture Ends, essentially false door fronts, add a finished look to cabinets and give them a high-end custom look. They are not cheap but in terms of projecting quality they are priceless.
    ckearby thanked Hal Braswell Consulting