Software
Houzz Logo Print
hol38

siding advice

9 years ago
the house is currently cedar. I'm strongly considering vinyl certaiteed brand siding. Individual sawmill shingles on the front peak. and board and batten on the rest of the house. has anyone used the individual sawmill shingles? I'm having a hard time finding any local examples or pictures.

Comments (24)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Please post a pic of your entire front view of the house from the front.

    Are you considering these changes for appeal or because you have to replace the cedar siding you have now?

  • 9 years ago
    here's the front. mostly looking for low maintenance and curb appeal
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You don't have enough roof overhang for board and batten. Are you considering vinyl an upgrade?

  • 9 years ago
    not enough roof overhang will affect board and batten siding specifically? mostly considering vinyl as a low maintenance option
  • 9 years ago
    I have my doubts. i like the curb appeal. it's why I bought the house. the cedar has seen better days. I'd almost have to rip it off and start over. there's some water damage. But it's not an awful mess. I'm trying to think ahead
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I agree with Ryan. You have the distinctive elements of a Storybook house and with the cedar shake it is much less maintenance. To me, it looks like someone either changed the front door from the true arched storybook door to a regular rectangular shape or it was never installed from the beginning. Look to the roots of your home and restore/improve what you have since what you have is a true treasure. Here is the type of home with the door that would go with your style. Here are a couple of examples, you don't have to go with the hole in the door, but the rounded top is what I had in mind. It would help bring your home toward the more classic storybook elevation

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Also, remove those shutters from your windows. They aren't sized right and those particular windows are too large.

    Here is one that isn't nearly as exaggerated as the two pics above, but has some of the distinctive elements...


    exteriors · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Agreed, custom rounded front door, shutters off, keep the cedar shakes and add beautiful light fixtures on both sides of the front door and improve the front landscaping. Awesome house!
  • 9 years ago

    OP, you do have an awesome house, it just needs a little bit of love right now.

  • 9 years ago
    agreed. I like the round door idea. I can see that. what do you mean about the size of the shutters? ha I've been working on the landscaping. not seen in the pics I posted
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here is a brief article about shutters and where they belong and do not belong. There is another article that goes into more information, but you will get the idea when you read this one.

    https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

    A couple of links for you about storybook homes

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/12-storybook-cottage-gardens-stsetivw-vs~68863913

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-design-a-storybook-cottage-stsetivw-vs~24787402

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-real-life-gingerbread-houses-stsetivw-vs~5850890

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Does this plan match yours?


  • 9 years ago
    yes pretty close. I think the 2d floor storage is part of my master bedroom
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You might have a Sterling Kit Home. Sterling was in Bay City Michigan. The plan is from a 1945 catalog.

  • 9 years ago

    Wow ppf...what a great find.

  • 9 years ago
    my house was built in 1951. and I'm in western ny
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A competent carpenter (very rare) could very easily weave in new shakes in to replace rotted or damaged ones.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with what has been said. Your house is adorable! I have to ask, where is that overhanging tree ? I cannot see any trunk. It seems that it should be trimmed back. Is it hanging right over your house?

  • 9 years ago
    The cedar shakes on your house are lovely. In an ideal world, you should keep them. That is if there are no woodpeckers in your area, and no insects, and no hot sun drying out and splitting the shakes.

    But realistically, cedar needs regular maintenance and sometimes it's ok to let it go and replace it. Certainteed makes some nice products that look quite nice. There are also PVC shakes made by nucedar and Royal Celect. Perhaps start by contacting a few contractors for estimates and they can give you the address of homes that have the product you like installed. Good luck.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Wood siding is endlessly repairable, and you can repair just the affected sections. In ten--20 years when the vinyl gets brittle and cracked it all has to come off and get replaced.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The Sears Maplewood model has a similar front (roofline doesn't match like the Sterling home posted above) and the catalog drawing shows shutters on the front.

    The Maplewood


  • 9 years ago
    Look at cement board or cement shingles not vinyl