Software
Houzz Logo Print
kellyccox

Please help me decorate this entry way.

9 years ago
I am trying to decorate my entry way. I just purchased the table at homegoods.

Comments (100)

  • 9 years ago
    This gives the gifted art a prominent place of importance while still understated enough to fit in with the feel of your family
    -oriented home
  • 9 years ago
    I might say trust your original instincts...the first picture...art height.. tiny little book and statue...and the light weight table have a correctness that is feeling more and more right to me...maybe apply that same sense of balance and spareness to a little suggestion of future purpose for the rest of the space
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Lovely rita, well that's a song also! But if you haven't furnished the tall room yet, please try that art there. With a casual approach [right word for yours idk?], maybe the art doesn't have to be measuring perfect, but at least straddling precisely over the center .... I'd love to see the result....

  • 9 years ago
    I really like the table and the art. It seems like when you added the items while playing around the table disappeared even more...

    Try a mock up with ottomans underneath like suggested. That might give the visual weight you need for that table if a more heavy chest/credenza is not your style.

    Sorry to hijack - Maureen where is the rug from that posted?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The table has to go back, it is doing Nothing for your entry. The artwork is lovely - leave it in the foyer.

  • 9 years ago
    Just for fun I'm posting a photo of myself with the artist. His name is Greg Davis. Located in Austin. If any of you have time check out his stuff and his story. He's pretty cool.

    Maybe I can get my husband to hang it on the other wall tonight. I could move our couch into the room just to get an idea of what it would look like.
  • 9 years ago
    Wow. You guys are really nailing it on the head. We are very casual people. I

    I truly appreciate all of the comments and help!!!
  • 9 years ago
    That's the link. He's a very nice guy!!!
  • 9 years ago
    This is our other photograph from him
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Trying beige sofa under art? what about the earlier thread? and blue you wanted [I think!?].... especially since painting away the trim/details... then, you wanted color in chairs, not the sofa / maybe loveseat size....reversible flat weave wool:

    Kaleen Glam Gray Area Rug · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    $117

    Surya 18.1" Modern Cylindrical Stool · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    With concern about comfort and kids, etc.? have you tried any sofa in a store? Just checking in. Beautiful photo with artist.

  • 9 years ago

    Love the art. The table is too small for the space and the painting. A substantial chest or credenza would fit better.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like the painting. I also like the table, but can see where people are commenting it's too thin/light for the space. something similar but with more heft, maybe?

    maybe to an antique chest of some sort...

    these may be a bit too heavy, but I think you get the idea. ones that are slimmer would work better.

    Here are some other ideas. Does the artist make something in this size?? I love it w/the velvet bench

    or even the slat bench,,a mirror or a large art piece.

    another type of table idea, w/something underneath. just more options for u.

    very nice home you have. what do you have planned for the fireplace?

  • 9 years ago

    Why not the rug you posted, Karma, in the tall room? seems subtle enough...

  • 9 years ago
    I am trying to brainstorm in regards to a chest beneath this piece of art.

    We have been to 5 furniture stores looking for a couch for this space.

    The artist has tons of artwork however we are not looking to buy another piece. I am trying to work with this piece right now.

    This piece was custom sized for us. Perhaps we should have thought it thru a bit more. I am confident it will work in this house one way or another
  • 9 years ago
    Still messing around
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Only the bowl, sometimes less is more. If you feel it's too bare, try a series of large baskets on the side.

  • 9 years ago
    Oh Maureen I loooooove those
  • 9 years ago
    And these are fireplace inspiration photos.
  • 9 years ago
    Fireplace inspiration
  • 9 years ago
    This is what I am working with.
  • 9 years ago
    I really like your sparse aesthetic...however I do think the original placement height of the art over the console was more in scale with the wall and high ceilings ...so many times I see reason to say follow your instincts...mostly in cases like yours when your choices are questioned because they are different from the norm....the simplicity is more relaxing and the parts seem more personal and meaningful...
  • 9 years ago
    As to the fireplace area the only thing missing is a little more color...and maybe some softening window treatments...Usually we suggest adding color with the rug...but for now ...with small children ...the shag is the perfect choice....

    I always love sheers for spaces that really don't need the privacy element ...they add a little glamour and softness without blocking light or view...
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Clunky, but maybe nice in the hand-hewn look, and soft neutral. $400. Your fireplace is not so bad - tiled, that's all....

    Torino Credenza, Taupe · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    The fireplace would be a great place to put some of those new cement tiles with colorful patterns...would bring a much more casual personality to that area....I have seen them in pale gray and pale yellow mix...they are probably the same size as what you have so replacement should be simple
  • 9 years ago
    Think your first inspiration pic is a cement tile example...but I like the ones that have a motif style rather than an all over pattern look...they are bolder and more interesting without being too busy
  • 9 years ago
    Lots of examples on Houzz "shop" section
  • 9 years ago

    Kelly, I love that coffee table in your family room. I am wondering if there is a console table like it, and if so, how it would look under the artwork in the entry.

  • 9 years ago
    @Shirlpp I was wondering the exact same thing! It's from ALLMODERN

    I am going to check it out.
  • 9 years ago
    This is the matching table. It is the same line as the coffee table in the other room.
  • 9 years ago
    I'm going shopping today. I will look for some ideas from everyone's suggestions.
  • 9 years ago
    The art can be hung any which way. It's an interesting piece with good colors. The table is so lightweight that it needs BIG things below it. Maybe you can use the table elsewhere and put something more solid in its place. And, yes a rug...
    selected to go with or accentuate the colors in the painting.
  • 9 years ago

    following:

    Love the art piece and vertically as I see two women at the bottom...wild imagination perhaps? I don't see it hanging horizontally.

  • 9 years ago

    agree with Maureen, the bowl on it's own looks very nice with some baskets such as she posted!

  • 9 years ago

    I am thinking that it is not wide enough.

  • 9 years ago
    I love that table and I love its simplicity. I like it with the art on top, and I would leave it at least for a while to "settle" in.... It provides a reference for the artwork but not takes over, kudos!
  • 9 years ago
    The flat bowl looks great, the rest of the pieces cover the artwork. Perhaps think instead on framing it with a tall plant in a basket to the left of the console, and make a statement by leaving the console almost bare. If you want something under it (I would not) choose something earthy, and not chunky, so it does not clash with the airy quality of that table's profile.
  • 7 years ago
    Update
  • 7 years ago

    Glad to see post of an update. New rug, and well.. is all new? nice to have a large lamp. Neutrals seem to let my eyes look outside.... what about the entry? :)

  • 7 years ago

    Very nice! Great to "see" you again.

  • 7 years ago
    Nothing has changed with the entry. My husband and i can’t seem to agree on anything :((
  • 7 years ago

    pooh.

  • 7 years ago

    Good to see some photos Kelly :)

  • 7 years ago
    Not sure if you all can tell but we stained the railing black
  • 7 years ago

    looks great Kelly :)

  • 7 years ago

    Your round piece is large, but did you try it on first floor entry.... even for fun.

  • 7 years ago
    Regarding the big round piece i want to try it over the molding in the living room. On the big blank wall. I would like to paint it a different color. I don’t actually like the piece but every single person who enters this home loooooves it and begs me to gift it to them. So i figure i should embrace it.
  • 7 years ago
    it looks good with the art lowered. please don't clutter the space with stuff on table and useless ottomans underneath.