Software
Houzz Logo Print
gamertrial1

How to cure Weeping Cherry leaf spot/shot hole ?

9 years ago

So a few months ago I got a weeping cherry from lowes it was about 5 and a half feet tall at the time and planted it out front of the house in a large planter box. It was doing well up until about a month ago. When I started to notice leaves here and there getting spots on them and then creating small holes to eventually the leaf yellowing and then falling off. I didnt think much about it but then more and more leaves started doing this to the point where the tree is nearly bald. I did some research and found out it was something known as Cherry leaf spot or Shot hole. But I never really found any one good answer for what to do about it to speed up the recovery process. Some mention a fungicide but never really say which, and sometimes I hear about using Neem oil or some copper infused fungicide. Can anyone point me to a specific spray/soil/ect. I should use on it ? and how long does it take to rid the tree of this fungus and see the leaves growing back properly ?


So far the only thing I have done it pick off lots of the really damaged leaves I see each day, and used a fungicide spray I found at the store (Fungicide 3 from Garden Safe). But the spray never really gave proper directions for how often to use the spray. So i have sprayed all over the tree for a few days in a row now.


Any help guys ?

Comments (6)

  • 9 years ago

    Fungicide 3 is a neem product, correct? I find no data supporting the theory that neem controls or prevents shot hole fungus. But I did find the label directions for this product that includes spraying at 7-14 day intervals.

    My advice is to put the Fungicide 3 down.....you can't cure your tree at this point. Research specific strategies in preparation for next year, including dormant season spraying with a copper product. Over the winter you can remove and dispose of the fallen leaves, follow dormant season spraying protocol.

    Shot hole disease can be caused a fungus or by a bacterium. If yours is a bacterial disease, fungicides won't help. Trees typically recover from this disease with little help, if the weather cooperates.

    If you live in the US, please call your local cooperative extension office for some local suggestions.


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Shot hole disease is such a common ailment on various Prunus species it is almost a growth characteristic of the tree!! As rhizo indicted, there is nothing that can be done at this point......any spraying needs to be done before you see or at the first sight of any symptoms. Fungicides tend for the most part to be only prophylactic, not curative. btw, copper based fungicides will also help to control the spread of the disease if bacterial in origin rather than fungal.

    On an established tree, most never bother to treat. The issue is seldom serious enough or causes sufficient defoliation to be considered anything more than cosmetic damage. Even with holes, the leaves are doing the work they need to do.

  • 9 years ago

    Cure is NOT possible.

    You can only hope to limit it to a low roar by spraying every year at the appropriate time.

    Further, at least around here, weeping cherries are among the most susceptible flowering trees in the genus.

  • 9 years ago

    The only reason I sprayed a few days in a row was because I followed what another person online said they did and seen good results. The progression of the shot hole stopped after those few days of spraying. No more leaves have turned yellow and died, even the leaves that are remaining with small spots/holes still in them. My concern now is if the tree this season would "re-sprout" new leaves on the branches where they have fallen off. Because since this tree is of a small size still it doesn't take much defoliation to appear "bald" there are only a few branches with leaves still on them. But the branches appear to be very much alive still, after pruning a couple and seeing beneath the bark. But being were in september now I have already accepted i'm not going to see any new growth of leaves this season it appears here in the Mid-Altantic. I'm just hoping that these very same "bald" branches dont permanently stay bald when next spring comes.

  • 8 years ago

    Gamer I have had this problem too. This year the branches only have leaves and blooms on the lower three feet of the branches. My tree is 6 feet tall, and I live in Oregon. Its been a very mild winter. Let me know if you found a fix.