Software
Houzz Logo Print
lee_aj

How do I replace these floor planks with others beneath my carpet?

9 years ago

I have vinyl flooring that has been damaged when I trimmed the carpet on top of it. While I can't find the same planks anymore, I can swap them with other planks that are still under the carpet.


What's the best way to do so? Do I need to hire someone for this? Can someone point me in the right direction?


Thanks!



Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you have matching planks, you should hire someone.

    If you dont have matching planks, it is a fantasy. Would have to replace whole floor.

  • 9 years ago

    Sand and refinish vinyl planks???

    Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but if no help here, maybe the flooring forum?

  • 9 years ago

    Flooring contractor or very skilled handyman.

  • 9 years ago

    Is this peel & stick vinyl or is it glued down? if peel & stick, you may be able to gently pry up the damaged pieces and replace them with another piece, but you'll have to be very careful not to break them. You may need to use some glue when you replace them, however. If it is glued down, I think anyone would have a difficult time getting them up in one piece. Are the smudges the damage you are referring to or the scratches?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Sigh, I replied late last night, looked at the picture... NVM no you cant sand vinyl LOL thought we were talking about laminate or real wood.

    The mess you would make taking up the carpet and getting scrap pieces and trying to piece it all back together would be more work than just redoing it all from scratch.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You are unlikely to find a contractor for such a small job. If you do, you will pay a small job premium. I'd suggest putting a rug over it until you are ready to replace it all.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    IF the carpet is laid over the vinyl plank, simply use a pair of pliers and pull back a corner of the carpet to retrieve planks that are in better shape.
    You will need a carpet installer to reinstall the carpet properly...unless you have the required tools to do so.

  • 9 years ago

    How hard have you looked for matching planks? Are you sure they are not made anymore or just haven't found them at a local store, etc.?

  • 9 years ago

    If it is glue that damaged the vinyl have you tried using Goof Off to remove it?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    My suggestion is this: remove the carpet - COMPLETELY. Remove ALL THE VINYL from underneath the carpet (as it *should have been done in the first place). While the vinyl is being removed, you can pull out some of the damaged planks and replace them with the salvaged planks.

    Fix the vinyl floor and then reinstall carpet. Voila. Done. You will have salvaged an entire room full of vinyl planks = plenty of planks to choose from. And you will have created a flat/even surface for the carpet to sit on.

    Excellent. Both objectives will have been achieved (carpet installed and vinyl floor repaired). Good luck. Hopefully the vinyl underneath the carpet will not have been damaged by the carpet pad/backing.