Software
Houzz Logo Print
swagner2468

Calling All Neutral Paint Lovers - HELP!

9 years ago

I think I have every neutral paint chip Sherwin Williams makes sitting on my counter. I have purchased enough sample jars to paint several rooms and I still can't decide which way to go. I really want a relaxing neutral home. I will add color to my house with accessories, but I really want neutral walls through out my house. Accessible Beige has been recommended to me multiple times. I currently have it in my bathroom and like it (I don't love it because of the slight green undertone). I really like Canvas Tan, but it is a little too light and it is the top color on its paint strip. Has anyone tried to darken it to 150%? I am wondering about any undertones I might see. My painter wants my color by tomorrow...I thought I had more time!


Here's a little more info. I have dark wood kitchen cabinets and my trim in the rest of the house is SW Alabaster. The top wall color in the photo is what I am after. It is Accessible Beige. I know lighting has a lot to do with colors so I know it won't necessarily look like this on my wall. Thank you so much for taking your time to help!


Comments (26)

  • 9 years ago

    SW Agreeable Gray. I have it in my house and my friend has it in hers. I had a really odd spot that needed a neutral color to tone down some ugly tile coloring and it even worked there. It has been a great color in a lot of different areas and lighting

  • 9 years ago

    Try a light taupe.

  • 9 years ago

    We purchased a specific color at Lowes, when the gal went to mix it, she made a mistake and came up with something a few shades different.

    We got it home and LOVE it, to the point that we used it in other rooms.

    Now I do not know if I can ever get that specific color again, we have no clue what the "mistake" was, and seriously hate the thought of not getting more for touch ups.

    I know it's "just paint", but it does set the tone for our entire condo.

    For what it's worth, our shade came out darker, it looks sophisticated and elegant.

    Can't wait to see what you choose! Good luck and post pics!

  • 9 years ago

    I darkened Crisp Muslin to 115%. I love it.

  • 9 years ago

    Darn, I was going to suggest Canvas Tan. Great neutral.

  • 9 years ago

    SW softer tan or BM manchester tan?

  • 9 years ago
    I know you're looking for beige, but go ahead and sample SW Agreeable Gray -- I'd call it a warm gray. It is in all of my common spaces, and SW Alabaster is on trim/doors throughout. It's a beautiful combo.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Your photo is of Accessible Beige, so I am confused about your dilemma.

    I would ask you from where the natural light comes.

  • 9 years ago

    You are right, that photo is Accessible Beige and I love the color in that photo. When I put it on my walls, it has a lot more gray and green. I see the color above, but just in the corners of my room. Maybe I could try changing my light bulbs? The light I get in my room is from the south.


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Have you tried S W Natural Choice?


  • 9 years ago

    Janie Gibbs, do you have no more left at all? The reason I ask is if you can just get a very small amount they can scan it in their paint match machine. (or whatever it is called :). ). If not, can you take about an inch of it painted somewhere off to take it in?

  • 9 years ago
    Have you looked at SW Urban Putty
    Tammy thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Hi Wmsimons85,

    I have like a "brush stroke" left, I feel like it would take a world renown chemist or something, IDK if it can/will ever be matched. When the gal from Lowes mixed it, she was horrified and loudly said "oops", and was concerned she was going to be in trouble.

  • 9 years ago

    Fingers crossed for you the machine can detect the shade and then provide the formula. I know to well how frustrating it is to have none for touch ups!

  • 9 years ago
    I have both accessible beige and agreeable gray in my house as neutrals. In south facing rooms, or any rooms, the beige does not read green. It seems to have a black or gray undertone. Like someone else mentioned, I'd play with your light bulbs. If they are too cool they may be skewing the paint color. Good luck to you! I like both these shades a lot; very versatile.
    Tammy thanked ajrlittle
  • 9 years ago

    I struggled to find the right beige for my north living room. Finally decided on SW Balanced Beige. It works well and I get lots of compliments.

  • 9 years ago

    I am so glad to hear you say that beth09. I am going to put some samples of it on my wall tonight. I love the color, but was afraid that it would be too dark. I have a 2 story west facing living room that I thought about using it with, but the room doesn't get a ton of natural light so I have been back and forth. What feeling does it give you?


  • 9 years ago

    I picked up a paint chip of Urban Putty last night. It looks like it is in between Accessible Beige and Balance Beige, but maybe has a bit more green. I think I can live with green undertones more than pink (I don't mind gold, but that is what I have had and I want a change). Has anyone used Urban Putty?

  • 9 years ago

    Oh gosh chacodog, I just saw your comment! Have you used it?

  • 9 years ago

    swagner, I decorated my LR in a beige monochromatic design. When I go in there it feels serene, calm, quiet and maybe slightly sophisticated. I must have searched every beige under the sun, partly to find one that would work (no unwanted undertones) AND was considered warm (which it is). When I read a decorator say it was their go to paint time after time, I tried it.

    Whether it will be too dark for you, only you can say. As with any other paint color, some areas will darken depending on lighting and shadows.

    Painting it on the wall is good, but I found painting poster board and moving it from wall to wall, at all times of day, was the best test.

    Good luck!

    Tammy thanked beth09
  • 9 years ago
    I forgot to mention that I have no green undertones!
    Tammy thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Beth09 that is exactly the feeling I want. I know some people thing beige is blah, but I want my home to be the place that I find calm and peace :) Thank you!


    chacodog that is a beautiful color. I will pick up a sample on my way home tonight!

  • 9 years ago

    You're welcome swagner. :)

  • 9 years ago
    Does it have to be SW? If not could you try edgecomb grey by BM. I too recently went through this. Has every paint colour for both SW and BM in swatches in my wall plus cardboard moved around. Edgecomb was the best for our home - It is a grey/beige and very warm. It has a light sandy tone. You could have it colour matched at SW if you must use their paint. Worth a try...?

    Example Photo below
    Tammy thanked K G
  • 9 years ago

    That is beautiful! I have heard about that color, but haven't actually looked at a chip since it was BM. Thank you for the picture, I will check it out!